Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm excited to listen to it. The drum sound still sounds really bad though.

I tried listening to The Lockdown Sessions again the other day, how dreary. I hope this isn't going the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by beeco View Post
      I tried listening to The Lockdown Sessions again the other day, how dreary. I hope this isn't going the same way.
      ha ha it's definitely the same

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

ha ha it's definitely the same
        yep, sadly is the same production

Comment

Is this down to new recording techniques or some new style? Ive been listening to a load of Motown recently and you can hear the room in the records. Similar to SOYCD, you can hear the space they recorded in.

Is Rog just doing everything remote and plugging it straight into a laptop?

ps I know nothing of how recording works.

Comment

Seems ole Rog may have a creeping malaise...

Comment

I find it funny that when Roger's drummer was Graham Broad, a lot of people were complaining that he did too much and that it wasn't a fit, and now that he uses Joey Waronker, it seems some people think he isn't doing enough and that his sound is bad.
              ​​​​
              Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
              Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
              Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
              Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
                I find it funny that when Roger's drummer was Graham Broad, a lot of people were complaining that he did too much and that it wasn't a fit, and now that he uses Joey Waronker, it seems some people think he isn't doing enough and that his sound is bad.
                ​​​​
                I don't find anything funny about that at all. It is what it is.

Comment

For the record, I think the most interesting drummer in Roger's band was Andy Newmark.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
                    ​​​​
                    joey is a great drummer, unfortunately they recorded him badly. His touch can be heard perfectly in Beck's fabulous Sea Changes for example.

Comment

Originally posted by beeco View Post
                      Is this down to new recording techniques or some new style? Ive been listening to a load of Motown recently and you can hear the room in the records. Similar to SOYCD, you can hear the space they recorded in.

Is Rog just doing everything remote and plugging it straight into a laptop?

ps I know nothing of how recording works.
                      A lot of Motown stuff was recorded in a big room setting, though they pioneered recording guitars and basses 'direct' as well. Everything else mic'd up and sent to tape, hot! Lots of bleed and room ambience as a result.

The newest Jethro Tull albums have that dry, direct and flat sound as well. Like it was made on a laptop using plugins, with the drums seeming lifeless and perfunctory as a result.

Comment

Count me as a Graham Broad hater and a huge Joey fan (and Andy Newmark too). Graham was like listening to a constant nervous tic on the hi-hats, totally wrong for Pink Floyd. Waronker pulls off a light, trippy touch, not the same sound as early Nick but very compatible with the mood (I'd love to hear him do an Echoes). But it works better for some songs than others. Perfect for the Lockdown style arrangements. For tracks like In the Flesh and Run Like Hell, not as good a fit.

Comment

I feel like Graham's drumming worked well on songs like Run Like Hell or In The Flesh, but for softer songs could be a bit much. I still like him.

Comment

On Reddit they are saying Roger’s version of Money will be on Spotify on July 21st at midnight. Can anyone in Europe hear it now?

Comment

In atmos sounds great!!! Love it!
                              Attached Files

Comment

My review of Money - interesting idea but he’s made the whole thing sound like When We Were Young off Is This The Life We Really Want.

Comment

Working...
                                X