Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 seconds of that awful rubbish is all I could take. I wish I could bill him for my wasted time.

Comment

The Final Lunacy, surely. To borrow the phrase from Thom Yorke, “the last desperate fart of a dying corpse”, which given the subject matter of DSOTM is somehow strangely fitting.

I will defend Pink Floyd and any solo member to my dying day, but the sheer expanse of the echo chamber that Roger now operates in has left him and his career a laughing stock and to trawl over his and the band’s masterpiece utterly beggars belief.

As Bob Dylan continues somehow to still drift into latter career perfection, Roger is no Dylan here. I have no ill will against anyone in making a living, but the recording engineers and producers are truly paying the bills on this one, credibility-wise.

This is the sort of project you do at 79 years old in the comfort of your own bunker. And to think Syd, bless him, painted lovely pictures to his dying day. Now that is keeping the muse.

If anyone can think of anyone, in any medium be it art, music, writing or any creative endeavour in the 20th century who revisited their own work with such spectacular tone deafness and disrespect for the original, then answers on a postcard.

In the meantime, rant over, I’m off to buy the the rainbow selections of vinyl that will sit on my shelf next to the 1973 masterpiece. I know which one I’ll be playing more.

I am sure Gilmour will be crying tears of hilarity at this spectacularly embarrassing effort.
      Last edited by PFC67; 07-21-2023, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
        daemonspudguy commented
        Editing a comment
        David is probably going to ignore this, like he does with anything else Roger does, even when directly related to Floyd shit.

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
      Speaking of money, imagine having so much you could throw some away creating an unnecessary redux album. With top-notch production quality and fancy music videos and whatever he has to pay musicians, engineers, etc.
      Imagine having so much money and not using a penny of it to put out The Wall 80-81 tapes and films
      - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Originally posted by voices2010 View Post
        The sound universe of the most intolerant people to the new version is very small. there are dozens of related works in the recording universe and well appreciated. surely these are the same fans who expect the "classical" (and not necessarily real) formula of: intro-verse-solo-verse-solospectacularguitar. my honest recommendation: listen to more music, broaden your musical horizon... it doesn't hurt... learning new things, changing points of view... it's never been bad. in fact, a 79-year-old man is demonstrating it to us.
        Maybe some folks just don't like it? I had to force myself to get through the entire track and it was painful so don't try to convince me that it doesn't hurt.

Comment

The Money redux is probably closer to what the song would have been had this been a Roger Solo album, just basing it on the demo from back in the day. It does go to show that without the other members of the band Mr. Waters would have been nothing more than a footnote in the history of rock music...if even that.

And I totally agree with RonToon above - sometimes people just do not like certain songs. Had I never heard the original version of Money and only heard the redux version I would never have purchased the single or the album that it was attached to.

ts

Comment

i can´t... this version of money is awful.. hope keep the original versions in south american leg...

Comment

re Money redux

thought

maybe someday some Steven Wilson will make a good instrumental remix of this redux a​

Comment

Originally posted by DeepCreatures View Post
                It does go to show that without the other members of the band Mr. Waters would have been nothing more than a footnote in the history of rock music...if even that.

ts
                I am a big fan of Waters but I do agree here, imagine if Dark Side of the Moon had been a poetry anthology? Would it have sold millions of copies? As genius as the words are, I somehow doubt it.

Comment

I like it. It probably won't be my favorite song on the album but neither was the original. The cello is badass. Yes, it sounds like he's going for a late Leonard Cohen vibe. Even if I didn't like it, it's still nice to have something different rather than a 4,152nd copy of the original.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepCreatures View Post
                    The Money redux is probably closer to what the song would have been had this been a Roger Solo album.
                    I can't fathom this type of drivel appearing on any album in 1973.

Comment

Well, I like the dog. I'd pet that. 🐕 I'll wait until I hear the thing as a whole the make any assessments. It'll probably be a 'take it or leave it' sorta thing.

Comment

Originally posted by n8sterII View Post
                        Well, I like the dog. I'd pet that. 🐕 I'll wait until I hear the thing as a whole the make any assessments. It'll probably be a 'take it or leave it' sorta thing.
                        Love the dog, my favorite aspect of this thing!

Comment

This is... something. I don't mind the overall sound and feel of it - it's got this dark and menacing supervillainy vibe to it that serves the greedy themes of the song well enough. The musical backing has a few moments of interesting ear candy too.
                          That said, I could have done without the new monologue in the middle of the song The lyrics of Money are fairly simple and straight to the point but the new poetry is the opposite end of the spectrum. Having it sandwiched in the middle of the song is jarring. I feel like I'd have tolerated it more had it been an interlude between tracks.

I'm not saying this redux version needed a solo, though - the sparse backing would have held it's own well enough without Waters' voiceover.

Comment

Originally posted by jmr View Post
                            This is... something. I don't mind the overall sound and feel of it - it's got this dark and menacing supervillainy vibe to it that serves the greedy themes of the song well enough. The musical backing has a few moments of interesting ear candy too.
                            That said, I could have done without the new monologue in the middle of the song The lyrics of Money are fairly simple and straight to the point but the new poetry is the opposite end of the spectrum. Having it sandwiched in the middle of the song is jarring. I feel like I'd have tolerated it more had it been an interlude between tracks.

I'm not saying this redux version needed a solo, though - the sparse backing would have held it's own well enough without Waters' voiceover.
                            Great point.

Comment

It's an odd, egotistical, "old man looking back on his best work" project and... I'm kinda here for it I think. It adds nothing to the original and doesn't really celebrate it. But I'm far from thinking this is any sort of negative mark on Rogs legacy. It's a poetry filled cynical old Roger fest and I can appreciate it for what it is.

Admittedly, I'm Team Rog if there is such a thing. So I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm also a fan of challenging music in general. This is pretty far from challenging - the mumblings of a grumpy old poet backed by a familiar backdrop.

Anyway I'm all in. And having no ability to play vinyl, I'll be on the hunt for a rip of the bonus track in October if it's not on streaming.

Comment

Working...
                              X