Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind it, surprisingly. It's got a kind of intimacy to it. I'm not sure how well it fits with the message of the song - the original had this certain desperation in the chorus vocal in particular that is obviously missing here, but the slow and intimate feeling doesn't seem all that out of place in the verses.
    I'm curious to hear this style applied to Breathe in particular... but I'm having a really hard time imagining Money with that tone. 😐

Originally posted by oldpink View Post
    Just as with nearly all other remakes of all other types, not just with music, it's a very bad idea that only diminishes the person putting it out, while besmirching the original.
    I find that sentiment odd. If you don't like the new take on DSOTM, the original album is on the shelf just as it was 50 years ago. If anything, I think a cover or remake that I didn't like would only make me appreciate the original more.
    Last edited by jmr; 03-02-2023, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Could be interesting to hear the new version, but I feel a little bit worried when i read that Sean is a kind of musical adviser.
      Last edited by mulle; 03-02-2023, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Yikes. So my guess is we’ll get a full-length Roger whisper-singing album with backup singers doing the harmonies.

That was okay for the Lockdown Sessions thing (still not better than the originals), but I gave it a whirl. But full-length Dark Side…🤦‍♂️

Comment

That sounds very boring and uninspired.

Comment

https://tenor.com/view/not-for-me-ma...c-gif-14704945
            I am you and what I see is me.

Comment

Well there's a minute of my life I'll never get back.
              Good Lord, it's Kitty Carlisle! And she's packing heat! - Crow T. Robot

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
              PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
              Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
              Rog - Aug 20, 2020, Atlanta (Taped)
              Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

https://fb.watch/j0RLVlxSlI/

Comment

I hope that in the 2023 tour I don't include these versions in the setlist...

Comment

Originally posted by Jose_Floydian View Post
                    I hope that in the 2023 tour I don't include these versions in the setlist...
                    I think that's the plan.

Comment

Well, he gave us all a taste of this with his rendition of Comfortably Numb that kicked off his latest tour.
                      Good Lord, it's Kitty Carlisle! And she's packing heat! - Crow T. Robot

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                      Rog - Aug 20, 2020, Atlanta (Taped)
                      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post
                        Well, he gave us all a taste of this with his rendition of Comfortably Numb that kicked off his latest tour.
                        I thought that was a great way to start off the concert. Real surprise - I avoided all spoilers and YouTube videos before going. Of course the big screen visuals were part of the experience. But I don’t need entire albums reimagined.

Comment

I'm here for this. Roger is nearly 80, still full of piss and vinegar and gloomy as hell. It won't replace the originals any more than the Lockdown Sessions songs replaced anything. But I'm happy to have them and I'll be happy to have this.

I'm gonna assume all the negativity is mostly about politics. Rogers have been pretty consistent for the past 50+ years and he inspired, created and participated in the production of this music we all are here to collect and celebrate. Seems a bit senseless to dismiss one of the last few pieces of new material we fans will get.

If nothing else, Roger and Nick are continuing to make things for us (Dave has earned his retirement, good on him). I'm just happy to still be getting music from these people who have given me years of enjoyment.

Bring it on, Roger.

Comment

If you read the description of the video, you would know that he started this project during the Lockdown Sessions when he realized the 50th Anniversary was coming up, and he put together this to celebrate it. He also admitted upfront that it is not a replacement at all, but a different interpretation. I don't see much difference with this and the reworking of pre-Dark Side material the Saucerful of Secrets have been doing.
                            Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                            Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                            Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                            Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by Fungusmungus View Post
                              I'm gonna assume all the negativity is mostly about politics.
                              I assure you, my opinion is from what I heard in the clip. Is there a chance the full piece improves my opinion? Perhaps, but it needs to sound a lot better than this bit.
                              I am you and what I see is me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungusmungus View Post
                                I'm here for this. Roger is nearly 80, still full of piss and vinegar and gloomy as hell. It won't replace the originals any more than the Lockdown Sessions songs replaced anything. But I'm happy to have them and I'll be happy to have this.
                                if his vocal range could still cover "piss and vinegar," i would be far more interested in this project. but DSotM isn't full of all that, nor "gloomy as hell," so i just don't think it'll work... for me. he could more easily get away with this by re-doing 'the final cut' or 'amused to death' (but then, AtD is the perfect gloomy album already, so why would he re-tread that ground)! props to him for not hyping this up as some "the way it should have been all along" masterpiece, but i'm sure he knows that WE know that the original will never be bested, because of the unique combo of characters that came together to create it... i'm glad he's still active, but why take time from working on "the bar" to even do this?! his legacy can only be impacted negatively at this point...
                                ...Raving and Drooling I fell on my Arse with a Squelch...

Comment

Working...
                                X