This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rontoon View Post

Don't know where you've been but the Waters vs Gilmour battle still rages on.
    Could be.. but I am not interested in that battle. I sincerely hope this β€˜battle’ will not rage on this beautIful website.

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
      Honestly, this question feels out of time, like an alt.music.pink-floyd post from 25 years ago. That's when everyone was either team Roger or team Dave and had to be at each others' throats about it constantly. But that really hasn't described the Floyd internet for a long time. I was on team Roger but '87-'94 Floyd still gets plenty of spins on my stereo - well, after I deleted the crappy tracks, anyway. I think at this point everyone understands that getting new material out of either camp is a rare treat and isn't interested in letting a 40-year-old feud that didn't personally involve any of us get in the way of enjoying what we get. That doesn't mean everyone has to like all of it but I don't think anyone is standing on the principle of the thing anymore. You like what you like and you skip what you don't.
      I couldn't disagree more. Go up on Reddit r/pinkfloyd and tell me that the factions aren't at war. It's ridiculous.
      Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post

I couldn't disagree more. Go up on Reddit r/pinkfloyd and tell me that the factions aren't at war. It's ridiculous.
        To be fair, the entire subreddit is just a bunch of edgy teenagers who think that the looping "Stone" sound in Dogs is hilarious. I disagree as well, but I think it's a bad example to use the Reddit page.
        - The Pink Floyd Research Group -​

Comment

I think a lot of people are being too quick in dismissing this. I think the spoken word in place of the solos is peak Roger musical storytelling. The way he paints a picture using his words and how he uses the existing music to complement what's happening in the story is something only Roger can do. I think this redux version will be a real treat for fans of his solo work, specially fans of pros and cons and amused to death.

Comment

• beeco
          beeco commented
          Editing a comment
          After 7 listens I think the spoken word section is still absolutely crap. Pure 6th form nonsense. Cut that out, shorten the song by 3 minutes and it would be a load better.

• NuffM
          NuffM commented
          Editing a comment
          Beeco, stole the words from my mouth. You got it exact.

• deibd
          deibd commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it's something interesting. It's different and narrating a story is Roger's specialty. Not for every one though that's very obvious

Just had a proper listen to Money on my JBL headphones, and I really like it, it's very dreamy and atmospheric. It reminded me quite a lot of the version he did of The Soldier's Tale which I also quite like.
        Very curious to listen to the whole album when it comes out, and especially the 13 minute original composition sounds interesting.​

Comment

Originally posted by deibd View Post
          I think a lot of people are being too quick in dismissing this. I think the spoken word in place of the solos is peak Roger musical storytelling. The way he paints a picture using his words and how he uses the existing music to complement what's happening in the story is something only Roger can do. I think this redux version will be a real treat for fans of his solo work, specially fans of pros and cons and amused to death.
          Roger is doing what he usually does on his solo albums, which is smother the music with extraneous lyrics. Why not let the music breathe a bit more?

Pink Floyd at its best combines great music with great lyrics. Shine On said so much with so little words. He should go back to that formula.

Comment

• deibd
            deibd commented
            Editing a comment
            It's almost like this is a solo Roger Waters album

Originally posted by deibd View Post
          I can live without all of it. Thanks.

Comment

today I listened it again

it really seemed to feel better and even more interesting - ha ha

however - this usually happens with Roger's opuses - I didn’t like The Final Cut for more then ten years at all - but now it’s almost the best franchise album for me

by the way - I still don’t like STCFTHOTS - even with lyrics even without - ha ha ha

and it's definitely better than We Shall Overcome for Nakba Day Rally with extended lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKfroB3ls7E

Comment

Is it necessary to repeat many times that they don't like it? I understand that the criteria of some young and some old are closed to know... but it seems more like a campaign or a certified "approval" of a few who believe they have an authority over the collective taste.

Comment

In my opinion, the situation is as follows: music is perceived much easier than words. Musical accompaniment gives each listener their own emotions, thoughts and behavior. I don't mean marches and other "organizing music" now.

The words are much more precise, sometimes more merciless. Words can help, save, but also deeply hurt.

How wonderful described the situation with music progress in PF The Green Strat (https://ravinganddrooling.com/forum/...092#post355092) !

The words practically did not change, but each concert guaranteed new musical finds, improvisations and so on. This is probably the reason why Roger wants to put words first. He couldn't help but feel that the meaning of his lyrics is literally drowning in the music (stone... stone... stone) and doesn't always reach the listeners.

The best example of this is the march-like Run Like Hell, performed as an encore.
                Last edited by YASHA; 07-23-2023, 06:42 AM.
                TBS14

Comment

Originally posted by voices2010 View Post
                  Is it necessary to repeat many times that they don't like it? I understand that the criteria of some young and some old are closed to know... but it seems more like a campaign or a certified "approval" of a few who believe they have an authority over the collective taste.
                  By definition, taste is personal πŸ™‚
                  We can talk about the collective taste of those who like it and that of those who don't like it. Plus a third for those who don't judge. I wonder what the appearance of the Gaussian curve of a numerical rating would be?​

Comment

Pretty sure everybody has the right to voice their opinions on a new release, whether it be positive or negative, or in the middle. This is the internet and it shouldn't be 1984'd to only showcase the good things.

Comment

Going by certain reactions on here and certainly on comments on Jon Carin's post those of us who are critical of it are shouted down as not 'understanding' it or being anti Roger.

The new version adds no more meaning to the original in my eyes. Forget the music, Darkside is very simple in its meanings. Any attempt to elevate it into the pantheon of genius is misplaced and by that some of the ardent Roger fans seem to take umbridge with criticism.

​​​​​​For balance I think The Final Cut is Rogers greatest work, I love that album (barring the inclusion of WTTBF). Amused to Death I'd put on my top 5 albums by anyone, even though Late Home Tonight and Watching TV are some of the most boring bits of music he's ever turned out.
                      ​​
                      I look forward to being a poor rate music critic for the rest of the Redux!

Comment

• NuffM
                        NuffM commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wish I could "like" a post 20 times.

Originally posted by beeco View Post
                      Going by certain reactions on here and certainly on comments on Jon Carin's post those of us who are critical of it are shouted down as not 'understanding' it or being anti Roger.
                      FUCKING THANK YOU! Finally someone who gets it!!! I understand it and I'm certainly not anti-Roger. I agree with a lot of his views and I loved the concert I attended last year. I like the Lockdown stuff. I agree with his words/reasonings for "re-doing" the album, I think it can be a cool idea and I definitely don't think he's replacing the old one (he has even said it himself.)

But this release sucks, I'm just gonna be honest with you. I was intrigued at the start. And then when he said "moneyyyyy..." I started laughing my ass off. I wish you could see the face I made when I heard "WELCOME. TO HELL.". It felt like 6 hours to get through the entire thing. If it was just the low singing for the whole song, I'd be fine with it; but that middle dialog is ridiculous.

I can't wait to run the file through Izotope to completely erase the middle dialog, and to have a nice instrumental instead.

Comment

• deibd
                        deibd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        While I get what you say there's so much negativity towards this release already. It's not like the positive comments are drowning out the negative ones. Quite the opposite. Commenting on a lot of positive comments to say it sucks isn't too nice either.

Let's ask the same question, but thusly: "Is it necessary to repeat many times that they like it?" (and keep the rest of the paragraph the same).

Comment

Working...
                      X