No announcement yet.

Richard Wright wet dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have great memories of listening to this in my youth. My dad's best friend knew how much I was into Pink Floyd and would .ake me tapes of other bands I may like.

One day he gave my dad Gilmour's first solo album and this on tape to give to me. I am super stoked about this release and I cannot wait to see what this is like!!

Comment

Sounds amazing!!!

Comment

The new mix is a revelation. More warmth, detail and an incredibly open soundstage. Love how he opened up the stereo mix. I just listened to the 24-96 files through my IEMs and will try it through my audio system later today when I can crank it. Such a gorgeous album. Can't wait for the Atmos mix!

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
          The new mix is a revelation.
          I can only agree with you wholeheartedly. ;-)

Today I took a closer look at the piece "03 Cat Cruise" since the piece is after all 32 seconds longer in the remixed album. I wanted to know at what point the piece changes from the original version.

Then I noticed something else:

In the original 1978 version at about 4:28:200 mins we hear the last guitar chord fade out.

In the remixed 2023 version, the guitar continues to play after that point. Probably a previously faded out track was faded back in here.

But, right at 4:28:700 I hear a pretty present glitch on the right channel - maybe caused just by turning this track back on - and not noticed during the remix process and postproduction.

The increase of the volume from 0:00 to about 0:50 minutes also seems to be much more present in the remix than in the original version of that piece.

​I compared my original 1993 One Way Records CD album with the 24-96 files of this new 2023 remixed album.
          Last edited by Pittylabelle; 07-28-2023, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Just checked, unfortunately the glitch is also on the CD version.

It should be no problem to eliminate this with iZotope RX. Too bad, though . ;-(

Comment

Listened to it this afternoon with many friends. We all enjoyed it very very much, and I recommend this to anybody who may be a fan of Rick's contributions to the band. It's so great!
              - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

This sounds so magnificent and I hope it encourages more people to check out the album. I have long considered Summer Elegy the single greatest track in the Floyd solo album canon.

Comment

This really does sound fantastic. Time to up my pre-order game...

Comment

Am I right in thinking that Identity by Zee got a remix when it was reissued a couple of years ago, or was it just a remaster?

Glad to hear this reissue’s got some traction. It’s a very pleasant album.

Comment

I'm really enjoying it.

Its funny but if you listen to the Barn Jams after it, they could fit right into that album. Rick really shines.

Comment

Originally posted by Pittylabelle View Post

I can only agree with you wholeheartedly. ;-)

Today I took a closer look at the piece "03 Cat Cruise" since the piece is after all 32 seconds longer in the remixed album. I wanted to know at what point the piece changes from the original version.

Then I noticed something else:

In the original 1978 version at about 4:28:200 mins we hear the last guitar chord fade out.

In the remixed 2023 version, the guitar continues to play after that point. Probably a previously faded out track was faded back in here.

But, right at 4:28:700 I hear a pretty present glitch on the right channel - maybe caused just by turning this track back on - and not noticed during the remix process and postproduction.

The increase of the volume from 0:00 to about 0:50 minutes also seems to be much more present in the remix than in the original version of that piece.

​I compared my original 1993 One Way Records CD album with the 24-96 files of this new 2023 remixed album.
                        I totally agree with your post; I have the CD "One Way records" too; and this old CD does not suffer from brickwalling contrary to some recent remix (check Supertramp's Brother Were You Bound). The One Way rec. CD had already a warm sound with great dynamics.
                        Now, Steve Wilson did a great job.
                        David's 2 solos albums - as released via HDTracks in high-res had longer fade-out - Rattle That Lock suffers from the shortened (early fade out) instrumental interludes.
                        Here, we have some extended jams; until it stops; it's almost a musical suite song/musical interludes which works so well.

"Pink's Song" has always been a favorite of mine; the typical Rick's secret progression (clin d'œil to Frank Zappa's Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar tribute to Carlos Santana)

I never noticed before the ending vocals of "Holidays"; he is someone joining Rick during the vocals (by the way the vocals mix is amazing) ? Or is it a special effect.

The sound is warm and beautiful; all instruments are perfectly detailed with some great dynamics.
                        "Cat Cruise" extended is really great. I have to say that Snowy White did an amazing job on electric guitar and especially acoustic guitar years before David Gilmour started to re-record Shine On and many other songs with acoustic coda (the "extra" coda of High Hopes in concert for instance).​

Le premier album solo de Richard Wright, "Wet Dream", sera réédité sur vinyle pour la première fois depuis sa sortie originale en 1978 cette fois en bleu profond marbré transparent. Il sera également disponible en CD, et sur Blu Ray avec un tout nouveau mix Dolby Atmos, un mix 5.1 et des images et vidéos personnelles inédites de cette période de sa vie.

https://www.fnac.com/a18300873/Wet-D...omnsearchpos=3
                        The blu-ray in France isn't planned to be released before Septembre; only the CD is available now- is it the same in other countries ?
                        I'm intrigued by the blu-ray content (5.1 mix is announced with photos + unreleased video footage - apparently some private video from Rick, not taken during the sessions of Wet Dream (we won't see him playing ?) - too bad; imagine if he played some live-promos videos like David Gilmour for his first solo album (So Far Away ends with a superb guitar solo a-la Fat Old Sun)​

by the way is there a digital booklet pdf around ?

with some A.I tools I have tried to isolate (using the One Way CD) some vocals+piano only of "Pink's Song". I have to try with the high-res mix by S.Wilson

really that's one of my favorite solo album with David's first solo album.
                        I even consider that Roy Buchanan "You Are Not Alone", playing ironically a Gold Top like Snowy instead of his usual Telecaster did a Gilmourish-floydian album with some amazing synth-layers - some of the synth-style even makes me think of some John Carpenter soundtrack : the intro of You Are Not Alone for instance (sounds like Prince Of Darkness).

Comment

I finally got to listen this 2 times through, on our family road trip! I am really enjoying this!!

It's a perfect listen while camping by a lake all week!
                          Last edited by Llama; 07-30-2023, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I have checked amazon.com, the blu-ray is for pre-order; not released yet.
                            I was wondering : why they did not release a blu-ray + CD ? (and the CD only).
                            Wish there was some outtakes or alternate takes or demos... There was some audio snippets on Richard Wright official web site (not that I don't think that they belong to the Wet Dream sessions); wonder what the unreleased video footage will be and if they will use some ambiant menus, unreleased music on the blu-ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Pittylabelle View Post

That's not good; hope the Blu-ray doesn't have it, but probably can't be optimistic on that...

Comment

Originally posted by jaman57 View Post

That's not good; hope the Blu-ray doesn't have it, but probably can't be optimistic on that...
                                If the error is already in the master file it will most likely also be in the Blu-ray edition.

If they want to correct it, they would of course first have to know about this error. If so, I don't think they will be able to correct it by the scheduled Blu-ray release date. The effort would probably be too high.
                                Last edited by Pittylabelle; 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X