Originally posted by svaerige View Post
      Dark And Velvet Nights (Radio Edit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0QE7t2Tvss
      For me, so far, the weakest track ... quite disappointing

Comment

Originally posted by Floydophile View Post
        how strange

as for me this is the only second (after Louder Than Words) decent track by David Gilmour in the last ten years​

Comment

Really amazing, that our R&D Community has such a variety in musical taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Floydophile View Post

I would go further and say that it is really weak. At times like this, I’m so glad that we have a rich history of greatly superior work to listen to and watch.

Comment

This third track is more forgettable than Pipers Call. They both have great production but that can’t fix forgettable lyrics and music with no real hook. Piper has a better instrumental ending than Dark and Velvet Nights. Ugh.

Comment

Loved the first two tracks and learned them by ear on guitar within mere hours. This one? I really have to say that upon my first listen, I'm disappointed. The music is way too busy, there's no memorable melody and the solo — despite being cut for a radio edit — doesn't show ANY promise like the first two solos did. Also I liked the production on the others but this one has terrible production. For example, what the HELL is with that horrendous digital clipping at 2:17? You really want to tell me nobody in the studio noticed that god awful sound? I really hate the sound he has on his vocals too.

Don't see myself learning this one by ear or adding to any playlists, not going to lie. This, YIHG, Piper's Call and Between Two Points have all been released as singles. We've already heard almost half of the record before it's even out. I don't think it's smart to drop a 4th single (and a bad one, at that). He's still going to sell out every show obviously but I don't think this album is going to do very great on the charts.

I give Piper's a 7/10, BTP 8.5/10, YIHG isn't even worth mentioning, and this? I give this a 3 or a 4. Again, I'm disappointed this time.
                - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

• tiwaz10
                  tiwaz10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Completely agree with your ratings... 2 out of 3 are good... I'd sign up for that percentage for the entire album

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
                Piper has a better instrumental ending than Dark and Velvet Nights. Ugh.
                this is still an edited version - the original is a whole minute longer - there's probably something there - perhaps the most interesting - as is usually the case with singles

there are two hours left to wait​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHM...yLdbvNOR2JQUX0

Comment

this is still an edited version - the original is a whole minute longer - there's probably something there - perhaps the most interesting - as is usually the case with singles

there are two hours left to wait​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHM...yLdbvNOR2JQUX0
                  I like the album version much better than the radio edit. The album version features more than an just extended solo at the end.

Comment

David, goog-bye???
                    We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

I’m having great trouble organizing my thoughts in a way to properly convey how awkward and confusing of a listen that was for me.

Comment

Not my favorite of the three singles so far, but I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to the album and tour. Maybe part of that is that I'm still afraid of a hard left turn like The Girl In The Yellow Dress, and this Dark and Velvet Nights is closer to what I like than that song. Doesn't hit right in the sweet spot for me, but still enjoyable!
                        Roger Waters
                        - Las Vegas MGM Grand 2010-11-26
                        - Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena 2017-06-16
                        - Salt Lake City Vivint Arena 2022-09-08

David Gilmour
                        - Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl 2016-03-25

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
                        - Denver Paramount Theatre 2022-10-20​

Comment

Unfortunately my comment was based on the album version downloaded this morning. I just don’t hear any melodies that I like. No way am I going to try to get tickets in November if this is the stuff he’s leading off with. Give me an album of jams like the ending of Piper Calls. That would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post

I like the album version much better than the radio edit. The album version features more than an just extended solo at the end.
                            Exactly, but: For me it is still a disappointing track, particular since it sounds a little bit like 'Rattle That Lock (Part 2)' boosted with some 'Fly, Robin Fly' Munich Disco Sound strings (for whatever reason these strings appear).

Comment

Originally posted by y!me
                              ... solely by AI after being fed both albums Rattle That Lock ....
                              AI, that was my initial thought too. And this goes both for music and lyrics. I'm sorry, Polly...
                              Last edited by Floydophile; 08-10-2024, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X