Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having listened a handful of times now to "the piper's song," it's grown on me quite a bit, which (for me) is a sign of a good thing. i'm really excited to hear the rest, and to hear this in its place in the overall picture! as a fan of the languid (and beautiful) 'on an island,' gilmour in reflective, dreamy mode is perfect for my own rapidly aging sensibilities. i feel for those who can't/don't "get it," or those who simply reject it, though. was anyone seriously expecting "the nile song (further down the nile)" or "deafinitely (part two, still deafening)?!" mileages may (and do) vary...

...Raving and Drooling I fell on my Arse with a Squelch...

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat View Post
      Per his interview in Uncut, apparently Gilmour is “unwilling to revisit” many 70s Floyd songs for his forthcoming setlist - I understand his reasoning but it would be a pity to go and see him and not hear some of the old favourites - though I am also totally in favour of set list changes! Would love to hear Marooned live!
      if i'm lucky to be able to see him one more time, i don't care what he chooses to play. it'll be a road trip for me, for sure, and i can listen to all the old stuff on the way up, and back, if need be! i just hope for a theatre show, with some upfront notice, something like "be prepared for an intimate performance, david has left "money" and "run like hell" back home, in the barn, for this tour" type thing.

and "marooned," "one of these days," or ANY of his instrumental tunes interspersed amongst the vocal songs would go far in helping to keep his (obviously diminishing) voice from being overworked. i would take a 50/50 split!

mileages may (and do) vary...

Comment

No combo CD/BR like Endless river or Rattle that lock... That's a pity.

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post

I legitimately hope all of it gets tossed. He will undoubtedly play Numb, MAAAAYBE Wish You Were Here... but Money and all of the others will — hopefully, in my opinion — be thrown away. I don't need to hear another version of Money. If you combine all of Pink Floyd's 72-94/05 shows and their solo careers, they have performed Money on stage over 1,000 times. Please shelve it!!!

I want to hear his solo stuff. I don't think David has a single bad album. If I'm sitting there and he starts playing something off of his first two records, I will freak the hell out. In a good way. I think the setlist will be something like Hey Hey Rise Up, WYWH, Numb, a mix on OAI/RTL/new album and that's it. And honestly, I'm all for it!
        Pink Floyd: their most played live tracks, ongoing totals through the decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvAKUa41XxU

We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

• David S CA
          David S CA commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing that YouTube link. It was pretty cool to see a bar graph in motion!

• YASHA
          YASHA commented
          Editing a comment
          Quickly, clearly and intelligibly.

I downloaded this video =)

The more DG releases the more I'm convinced RW was right when he proclaimed PF to be a spent creative force.

Comment

Originally posted by stonytokes View Post
          The more DG releases the more I'm convinced RW was right when he proclaimed PF to be a spent creative force.
          Good thing this is David Gilmour and not Pink Floyd.
          - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post

Good thing this is David Gilmour and not Pink Floyd.
            C'mon...you can do it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1*pKsKT5jze71Apu20cIXEVw.webp
Views:	441
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	369052

Comment

C'mon...you can do it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1*pKsKT5jze71Apu20cIXEVw.webp
Views:	441
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	369052
              well, silver lining if i'm not able to attend a show later this year? at least i won't be sitting beside someone
              bitching &

________
              moaning
              about something they don't care about...

bitching and moaning, i shat out some words, with a scream

Comment

Originally posted by geoffers View Post

well, silver lining if i'm not able to attend a show later this year? at least i won't be sitting beside someone
                bitching &

________
                moaning
                about something they don't care about...

bitching and moaning, i shat out some words, with a scream
                Well, while I consider myself to be a huge Pink Floyd fan, I wouldn't pay to see either one of these boring old farts solo at the price they require for attendance these days so you wouldn't find yourself sitting next to me. I'd go see Nick if he played in my backyard but the closest he's come to me is Boston which I avoid like the plague.

I think you've mistaken me for a RW fanboy. TBH, neither has released an album that's interested me since '92, but YMMV I suppose. Good luck with that intestinal issue you seem to have going on...

Comment

Well, while I consider myself to be a huge Pink Floyd fan, I wouldn't pay to see either one of these boring old farts solo at the price they require for attendance these days so you wouldn't find yourself sitting next to me. I'd go see Nick if he played in my backyard but the closest he's come to me is Boston which I avoid like the plague.

I think you've mistaken me for a RW fanboy. TBH, neither has released an album that's interested me since '92, but YMMV I suppose. Good luck with that intestinal issue you seem to have going on...
                  i didn't take you for a rog fanboy, i only (correctly) observed that you're here in this thread about david's new release with nothing positive to say (which IS one of the ways to spot a RW fanboy, to be sure). and this quote,The more DG releases the more I'm convinced RW was right when he proclaimed PF to be a spent creative force, also reeks of it, as an attack on david on behalf of "the genius" of RW, whether that was your intent or not...

if you haven't liked any of the solo stuff since '92, there's plenty of threads about the band, in which i'm sure your input would be more appropriate, and appreciated. so that you don't have to "read between the lines" with regards to my posts, i love the band, i really like most of the members' solo efforts, and i try to appreciate each for whatever i can get out of them... as artists, as people, as musicians who've made a huge impact upon my life. the sum of the parts was greater, forever and ever, amen. you don't like this new effort by david (or the previous release by roger)? noted. any further bitching and moaning (or illustrative cartoon) is surplus to requirements, and only clutters up the thread for the folks who are in here to discuss whatever there is to be liked, if anything. there's nothing to be liked about this new release, you say? again, noted. you're not going to convince us we shouldn't like the solo efforts, nor are we going to convince you that, if you just dig a bit deeper, you'll finally get it... if you haven't gotten it yet, you see?

and thanks for the well-wishing for my issue, though you've misunderstood from where the shite comes. it's an esophageal reference, not intestinal...

Comment

I can smell the thread being closed soon
                    - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Originally posted by geoffers View Post

and thanks for the well-wishing for my issue, though you've misunderstood from where the shite comes. it's an esophageal reference, not intestinal...
                      I see. However...if you have shite coming from your esophagus, I'd seek medical attention. I have GERD and LPR pretty badly and have had acid and bile flow up into my esophagus from my stomach, but never have I been so backed up that I've had shite in my esophagus.

Musical taste is subjective. If I loved the new release, I'd be here saying exactly that, and no-one would have any issue whatsoever. But I don't. Honestly, I've been waiting for Dave to release something that doesn't sound like bland CSN-style AOR since '87 and I keep getting disappointed. I should probably just accept that the guy who rocked so convincingly in the 70s and 80s now does music that will more likely end up being played on the soft rock/easy listening station than on my local classic rock station.

It's cool to see him working with Steve Gadd, I guess...carry on.

Comment

And closing as NuffM predicted.

Can we at least try to keep the discussion civil?
                        Last edited by MrFender; 05-18-2024, 10:21 PM.
                        What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                        PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                        Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                        Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                        Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Working...
                        X