No announcement yet.

New Game or New David Gilmour Album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just listened to The Piper's Call and I have no idea what there is to get excited about. Dull sub-Floydian stuff with ChatGPT lyrics and the inevitable guitar leads. No hook or other interesting part. Utterly unmemorable. Sort of like Spock's Beard; a competent modern take on '70s Prog rock with none of the innovation or risk-taking.

In a few years AI will be able to create an endless stream of Floydian muzak like this.

Comment

It's nice to see him continue his collaboration with Gavin Elder

Comment

Originally posted by Alanko View Post
        Just listened to The Piper's Call and I have no idea what there is to get excited about. Dull sub-Floydian stuff with ChatGPT lyrics and the inevitable guitar leads. No hook or other interesting part. Utterly unmemorable. Sort of like Spock's Beard; a competent modern take on '70s Prog rock with none of the innovation or risk-taking.

In a few years AI will be able to create an endless stream of Floydian muzak like this.
        Ok we get it, it doesn't have masterful poetry from a man from 50 years ago or a comfortably numb based solo for the 1000th time by Gilmour.
        - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

• Emdy
          Emdy commented
          Editing a comment
          A song doesn’t need either of those things for someone to like it.

• NuffM
          NuffM commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure, but Roger fans objectively have a giant bias against Polly's lyrics ever since The Division Bell. If David wrote the lyrics all himself no one would care. I wish I knew why.

• Emdy
          Emdy commented
          Editing a comment
          A person doesn’t need to be a Roger fan to not like the lyrics of a song.

For what it’s worth, I’m generally not a fan of David’s own lyrics either. Both his and Polly’s lyrics come across to me as forced and reaching. It has nothing to do with the other guy who hasn’t written anything for David to sing in over 40 years.

I do enjoy the writing Anthony Moore did for Floyd and Floyd adjacent projects.

Dull sub-Floydian stuff with ChatGPT lyrics and the inevitable guitar leads.
        Oh, come on.

ChatGPT deserves more respect than that.

Comment

I finally had the chance to listen to The Piper's Call. Personally I love it. For my ears, maybe the first verse is a bit week lyrically and possibly even a little vocally- though I think that's part of the songs charm, building from a bit awkward to pure ear candy I also love the production and depth in the sound with a bunch of really pleasing licks, effects and music. I love the solo, classic Gilmour to me and I bet he will have some fun with it live . I just really overall like this tune. Disclosure of course, like many of you I'm pretty biased, loving most of his music and frankly we're all probably a little bit starved for anything new at this point. But it's so much more than I expected and I'm even more excited to hear this new album now. David does it again in my books.
          Last edited by OAI; 04-27-2024, 04:18 AM.

Comment

a spanish friend mentioned some spanish fansite:
            https://www.rutafloyd.com/post/casi-...tm_medium=mail
            about the possibility to register for priority ordering of gilmour tickets for future UK tickets. bogus or is anything more known?
            p.s.no hablo espanol and to lazy to use google translate etc. on mobile)

Comment

Originally posted by Pottel View Post
              about the possibility to register for priority ordering of gilmour tickets for future UK tickets. bogus or is anything more known?
              To avoid any doubt, I'd just sign up at the official site;

https://www.davidgilmour.com/

Would hate to see anyone scammed for tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Pottel View Post
                Doesn't say anything new, it's just a best guessing based on the comment on David's UK shop (the small letters saying to register to access presales for a tour)

Comment

Please dont fall for those scam sites. Only sign up for the official David Gilmour website to receive emails. You can also refer to the few fansites that cover actual news like Brain-Damage and AFG.

Comment

Really love Pipers call, great track. I hated rattle that lock so this album is already better just with this one track

Comment

Piper's Call is absolutely wonderful. So happy David is still creating actual music with real depth and dynamics.

Comment

Just listened to The Piper's Call and I have no idea what there is to get excited about.
                        Yeah there’s no hook to the song except the guitar at the end. Even if I liked the lyrics there’s not much to pull me in unfortunately.

Comment

Per his interview in Uncut, apparently Gilmour is “unwilling to revisit” many 70s Floyd songs for his forthcoming setlist - I understand his reasoning but it would be a pity to go and see him and not hear some of the old favourites - though I am also totally in favour of set list changes! Would love to hear Marooned live!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat View Post
                            Per his interview in Uncut, apparently Gilmour is “unwilling to revisit” many 70s Floyd songs for his forthcoming setlist - I understand his reasoning but it would be a pity to go and see him and not hear some of the old favourites - though I am also totally in favour of set list changes! Would love to hear Marooned live!
                            I legitimately hope all of it gets tossed. He will undoubtedly play Numb, MAAAAYBE Wish You Were Here... but Money and all of the others will — hopefully, in my opinion — be thrown away. I don't need to hear another version of Money. If you combine all of Pink Floyd's 72-94/05 shows and their solo careers, they have performed Money on stage over 1,000 times. Please shelve it!!!

I want to hear his solo stuff. I don't think David has a single bad album. If I'm sitting there and he starts playing something off of his first two records, I will freak the hell out. In a good way. I think the setlist will be something like Hey Hey Rise Up, WYWH, Numb, a mix on OAI/RTL/new album and that's it. And honestly, I'm all for it!
                            - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post

Yeah there’s no hook to the song except the guitar at the end. Even if I liked the lyrics there’s not much to pull me in unfortunately.
                              despite being an absolute DG nut, i feel the same, and the great guitar bits at the end are disturbed by the soundmoshpit at the end. weird
                              am convinced the rest will be better though...

Comment

Working...
                              X