Waters-DSOTM redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by herring8 View Post
    im listening on apple music, its a little pointless and self indulgent - i wont be buying a physical copy and will probably never re-listen but i'm glad i listened.
    Yeah, same here, had to listen though as it's Rog but a deeply unsatisfying one-off experience all the same. The only redeeming quality that I can think of while listening was that in some places where the vocal delivery synced-up nicely with the music I was reminded of Jim Morrison and the The Doors on the "The American Prayer" LP (and that's stretching the imagination a bit, let me tell you...)

Comment

I'm reminded more of Jim Morrison on that Hendrix recording from the Scene Club.

Comment

I liked the album. It wasn't rock album and it had weak points but if you take it on its own terms instead of expecting a Floyd album or even a Waters solo rock album.... some of it was great. And even the weaker points were creative or interesting, which are two words that haven't applied to Floyd in many years.

I even kind of liked the marketing of having the prism spectrum-colored vinyl editions. It's frivolous, but it's also kind of fun. It's a much more clever idea than the 50th box set's marketing. And even if you think it's a cash grab, it's opt-in compared to the 50th box which was more all-or-nothing.

But probably nobody's going to change their minds in this thread and I feel like it's a pretty divisive topic, so I think I've said my piece for a bit.
        Last edited by grignr; 10-10-2023, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimfisheye View Post
          I'm reminded more of Jim Morrison on that Hendrix recording from the Scene Club.
          Brilliant! Jim was rather the worse for wear at that gig and seemed fixated on the idea of f**king somebody in the a$$ - has to be heard to be believed - poor old Janis Joplin was present too...

Comment

Ya know? After reading the review of Roger's redux show last night... So, he's touring this?!? Seriously?! After reading that I have to say that was more of a fuck with the audience kind of thing that reminds me more of Floyd opening a show with Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. Aside from APB having actual music and that even sawing a wooden beam on stage is more interesting than what Roger just did. Considering that he's been phoning in these greatest hits for mainstream Floyd fans kind of shows, this is pretty in your face not that! I think I want to give him one point on this one!
            Last edited by jimfisheye; 10-10-2023, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
              daemonspudguy commented
              Editing a comment
              AFAIK he's doing only doing a few shows in London.

maybe when you reach his age and youve got as much money as him you dont give a f&ck - but why not just stay at home

Comment

Originally posted by herring8 View Post
              maybe when you reach his age and youve got as much money as him you dont give a f&ck - but why not just stay at home
              No one claps for you at home.

He's finally got addicted to the admiration of a crowd that most rockers get in their early career.

Comment

I just hope he doesn't include these versions on the South American leg of the tour...

Comment

• voices2010
                  voices2010 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya se les ha dicho hasta el cansancio que esas versiones solo eran para el Palladium.

• daemonspudguy
                  daemonspudguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, the bizarre fearmongering about this replacing the originals is beyond absurd considering Roger himself has said, constantly, that it isn't a replacement.

This video is pretty interesting as Roger goes track-by-track. Seems to almost get emotional when talking about writing Us & Them with Rick.

Comment

This Redux version reminds me of "Word Jazz with Ken Nordine", except this is "Word Rock with Roger Waters".

I can see why some would say it's boring.

There are no peaks and valleys in the recording. It's all valleys. Same lower register and raspy singing all the way through.

Somewhat interesting, but I'll stick to the PULSE live recording or the original.​

Comment

Geez this redux version is just awful, I couldn't get through it. All the life and excitement and energy and meaning and sonics have been completely drained out of a masterpiece.

As a famous bass player once said during the Wall shows, "Pah-thetic!" Now, where's that DSOTM Ultradisc? I need to cleanse my ears.

Comment

Absolute rubbish, laddie!!!

Rog's incoherent ramblings can't even be escaped during ACYL.

If his last solo album didn't thoroughly demonstrate that he's out of ideas, this really seals the deal.

Unlistenable dreck born of vanity and ego. How the mighty have fallen.
                      And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

So, what's the story with the announced 13 minute original composition on side four of the vinyl? Does it not exist?

Comment

• daemonspudguy
                          daemonspudguy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The plans might have fell through. Things like that happen.

No music - a “field” recording - ramblings of a lunatic, sound collaging his way to the asylum. Oh it exists.

Comment

Well, I dont own the LongPlayer or even could play them, but would love to listen to these 12 minutes...

Comment

Working...
                          X