Waters-DSOTM redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PFC67 View Post
    No music - a “field” recording - ramblings of a lunatic, sound collaging his way to the asylum. Oh it exists.
    So, I'm still not clear. Is side four of the LP blank and you're joking or is there something there?

Comment

• PFC67
      PFC67 commented
      Editing a comment
      No joking. There is no music, it is a “pretend” field recording with Roger, experiencing numerous sounds all around him. It took me a few minutes to work out that it WAS a studio put-together, not him actually sitting at midnight listening to crickets, trains, and all weird and wonderful sounds. It’s painful to get through, an in-joke gone wrong and 14 mins of your life you’re never going to back. Even SSSGTIACAGWP had some loop like hooks.

• Fungusmungus
      Fungusmungus commented
      Editing a comment
      Completest that I am, I feel I need to hear this thing. But ok. Thank you for clarifying.

• Ello_Guvner
      Ello_Guvner commented
      Editing a comment
      Here it is: https://youtu.be/I0iBeFPWe68?si=WhPg8yAIalDUs_c9&t=2898

Wow that was a huge letdown lol

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
    Nothing more than a misguided ego trip. Epic fail.
    And while this version no longer synchs up with The Wizard of Oz, it does synch up with Triumph of the Will!
    It does synch up with "Apocalypse Now"...
    We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

• tiwaz10
      tiwaz10 commented
      Editing a comment
      I can already envision the music on the helicopters and how they crash onto the beach due to not being able to withstand the boredom...

I really love Roger’s funky bass playing on Any Colour. Its a step lower from the original but shows he still has his melodic chops and grooves like he did when the Floyd played it in the 70’s.

So much so I decided to copy it:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CySBM...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Comment

Originally posted by joeblade View Post
      ...But to put this in classic Aussie - "yeah, nah..."
      I've lived in the U.S for over 25 years now and I still say that .

Cheers m8

Comment

• joeblade
        joeblade commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats classic, I love it !

Originally posted by Tony_Floyd View Post
      I really love Roger’s funky bass playing on Any Colour. Its a step lower from the original but shows he still has his melodic chops and grooves like he did when the Floyd played it in the 70’s.

So much so I decided to copy it:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CySBM...RlODBiNWFlZA==
      I love RW's bass here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYOPRmutd4&t=2094s
      My favorite pre-release version

Comment

I was able to get my hands on a hi res rip of the vinyl with all four sides. A fine curiosity, I suppose. Worth a listen or two, but surely not something Id put into rotation.

Now my last remaining *holy grail* as it were are the bonus tracks from the super deluxe RW The Wall box.

Comment

Originally posted by fatoldpig View Post

I love RW's bass here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYOPRmutd4&t=2094s
        My favorite pre-release version
        YES! The December 72 shows are some of my personal favorites.

Comment

well

we have not crossfades between Time/TGGITS and between Money/UsAndThem on vinyl release version

in that case I suppose there is no crossfade between TGGITS/Money on cassette release - and it means Money have no noises overdubbed on some first beats ?

if anybody have listened cassette version - could you confirm my guess​

Comment

I avoided all the prerelease teases so I could listen to it all at once fresh. I went into this expecting a train wreck, was prepared to slam the album all over the internet...and I was honestly surprised. It wasn't awful, and I honestly liked a lot of it. The keyboard work is pretty sweet (I sense the hand of Jon Carin in this) and a lot of it gives me vibes of the earliest versions of Dark Side by the band in late January / early February 72, when Breathe and Time were soft and spacey, and Money was much slower than it became.

The main problem is the geriatric rambling. I am a singer, and the way I hear vocals is I hear the melody, tone, timber, head/chest/mixed quality, vibrato, falsetto/full voice...I hear the technique and the phonics and the syllables, but I really don't pay attention to the meaning of the words, or that they are even words at all. I just hear the individual elements. I've been singing the songs on Back in Black for 40 years and I have no idea what about 40% of the lyrics are. Because of this, when a person just talks over music I just zone out. I've even tried to pay attention to the stories and I can't do it. They lose all meaning and turn into a murmur halfway through.That's just me tho

Comment

I've listened to the whole thing yesterday and quite enjoyed it. For le, the weakest tune on the album is clearly Money which is quite boring. Otherwise, I have nothing to complain. But I like spoken words and the voice of Roger, so...
              The problem with money is (although I love the song) that it is probably (along with On the run) the lest musically interresting tune in the original album. Or is it the approach here...

Comment

I would love to hear the album without the talking. The singing parts with his current deep voice — great, interesting new approach. It's the talking that annoys me because it doesn't let me hear the music underneath properly. I hope somebody with the skills — or an AI — makes a version without the talking parts at some point.

Comment

Roger's take on the album reminds me of Ken Nordine's Word Jazz only this would be "Roger Water's Word Rock."

Comment

and yes, I must say... after many listens without being able to get that hateful comparison with the PF version out of my head, I finally found the beauty in this waters version... I have enjoyed it very much with headphones on the last one time, the version of TIME, us & them, even the great gig in the sky I found beautiful. My only but is the money version, I feel like it doesn't fit the gloomy sound of this new version.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose_Floydian View Post
                      My only but is the money version, I feel like it doesn't fit the gloomy sound of this new version.
                      I totally agree with that. Money is the weak point of this. At a point that I nearly prefer skip it while listenig to this album. The rest is soft and profound in sound in comparison.

Comment

• Floydophile
                        Floydophile commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you take away the additional (but not all) lyrics from 'Money' and, if desired, all other tracks (use Apps like RipX), you may get a TDSOTM - Remute version (with the original lyrics only), where you don't need to skip ;-)

IMO, Money is also the weak point on the original album, but it works in sequence because it adds some lightheartedness in between two seriously downbeat, downcast tracks. In fact the only time I'm *ever* listening to Money is when I'm listening to the album in full. On a live album, as soon as I hear the cash register I slam the skip button.

Redux kind of continues the tradition. The track doesn't offer much on its own but it makes the album as a whole more dynamic.

Comment

Working...
                      X