Waters-DSOTM redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waters-DSOTM redux

Listened the the whole album today..must say it’s not bad.
    like his TGGITS version… very moving..
    this redux version surprised me alot..
    I quite like it.

Same here i think its great, thought provoking and moving. Had this been done first as a MTV unplugged type of thing then it would have been considered groundbreaking

Comment

Its a slog to get through. A plodding bore. Roger is too in love with himself and his words. If he just stuck to a musical reinvention in the same way he treated the last 2 songs instead of blabbing over the entire work it might have been listenable. The human drum machine is truly awful!

Comment

This is really not my thing... I find it pretty awful. Too bad he chose to ruin DSOTM. For me, this is honestly a painful listen.
        Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
          This is really not my thing... I find it pretty awful. Too bad he chose to ruin DSOTM. For me, this is honestly a painful listen.
          he didn't ruin anything, like it or not, the original it's still there. And, by the way, it's not a replacement of the original dark side, even Roger never said that, it's simply an old man thinking over something he wrote 50 years before.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial View Post

he didn't ruin anything, like it or not, the original it's still there. And, by the way, it's not a replacement of the original dark side, even Roger never said that, it's simply an old man thinking over something he wrote 50 years before.
            Yeah, whatever... couldn't he have just remade TFC or Hitchhiking or something else a little less consequential?
            Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

• MrFender
              MrFender commented
              Editing a comment
              as long as he didn't mess with Sexual Revolution, i would be fine with it. Trouble is, he would remove one of Clapton's best solos since the 60s.

• aybesea
              aybesea commented
              Editing a comment
              That's probably the case since he has little to no appreciation for guitar solos.

• DeepCreatures
              DeepCreatures commented
              Editing a comment
              Remake Hitchhiking! Holy cow man - one of the wordiest albums ever put out redone by someone who would feel it necessary to increase the word count?

I’m still waiting for Gilmour to re-record the Final Cut but replace all of Roger’s verses with solos

Comment

bunga33 where do you live? It isn't out in America yet. Won't be until tomorrow.
            ​​​​
            Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
            Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
            Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
            Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

• DesertRat
              DesertRat commented
              Editing a comment
              I also wondered this, I am in the UK and I cannot access it on streaming sites yet. Maybe bunga33 got a physical copy delivered early?

• daemonspudguy
              daemonspudguy commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm especially interested to hear the version of Any Colour You Like because apparently Roger has picked his bass back up on that song.

• MrFender
              MrFender commented
              Editing a comment
              Some bass notes, not much. Just more of Roger talking over some background sounds that you'd be hard pressed to identify as ACYL.

i thought it was pretty great. definitely looking forward to listening a bunch more times.

Comment

Good to see the usual suspects here voicing their exasperation for this project as they have in every other thread regarding it.

Got a proper listen of the whole thing this morning, and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit hesitant going into it with how all the spoken word stuff would fit together from what we’d heard before, but largely I was pleased with it. The instrumentation is lovely and Roger’s voice is right where it needs to be at the age of 80. The creaky, bone-dry production is exactly what I’d expect from a project of this kind. It’s a very reflective piece as a whole and clearly isn’t supposed to compare, let alone compete, with the original. Via Mardot’s theremin is a highlight for me, I’ve been following her since long before I was aware she was involved with this and it’s heartwarming to see her career ascend to the point that it has.

The only tracks I didn’t care much for were OTR and ACYL. The string section bit in OTR wasn’t exactly jarring, but it did seem out of place. On ACYL I really lost the plot with the narration. I’m not sure I’d prefer it instrumental, but the electron microscopes and rainbows took me out of it for a bit.

Overall, there were some genuinely beautiful moments that nearly brought a tear to my eye. I’m grateful that we’re getting a proper celebration of the album beyond the $300 cardboard cash grab we got earlier this year. Very bold of Roger to do a project like this. I understand that some think well enough should be left alone, but this simply isn’t for those people, and that’s perfectly fine. Personally I’ve heard the original so many times that I don’t even want to anymore.

This one will be in my regular rotation for a while.

Comment

• bunga33
                bunga33 commented
                Editing a comment
                Totally agree with you Emdy…
                Played it thrice yesterday, and about to listen to it again for the 3rd time today..
                Will be on my rotation list for a while..
                Enjoy

I said this when the first track was Money was released, and I will say it now I've scanned the album......
              That snare drum sound drives me mad !!!!!!!
              Its like some home demo tape of a dripping tap and is torture to my ears.

Also I have no idea what Roger is saying (not singing) on most parts.
              He sounds like he has Covid.
              Horrendous release.

Comment

I like the second half of the album, not such a fan of OTR or the GGITS. Can anyone tell us what the original composition on the vinyl is like?

Comment

• Skinny12
                  Skinny12 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did i miss something? Is the vinyl somehow different? Would love to have an instrumental version in the album…

• Floydophile
                  Floydophile commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are probably referring to side 4 on the (orange coloured only?) vinyl version, where a track is called "An original composition".Ofc, I'd like to know as well
                  Last edited by Floydophile; 10-06-2023, 04:47 PM.

• DesertRat
                  DesertRat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Floydophile - yes that’s right, I’m referring to the ‘An Original Composition’, taking up side 4!

Well, i am not too sure about that…Apple Music
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	359432
                FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
                Youtube
                Apple Podcast
                Amazon Music
                Spotify
                Deezer
                Facebook

Comment

• blauwdruk
                  blauwdruk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I always loved the vocal part of ACYL...

Nothing more than a misguided ego trip. Epic fail.
                And while this version no longer synchs up with The Wizard of Oz, it does synch up with Triumph of the Will!
                Last edited by rontoon; 10-06-2023, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Floydophile
                  Floydophile commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Riefenstahl? Whoa, that's a tough one.

First cold full run through listen. I “get it”.

Roger: “Remember that album you’ve known backwards for 50 years, well I’m going to tell you a story about it…”, at midnight in a late bar, and we’re going to look back, just once, and I’m going to speak the words back and look back, because I never normally do that. When I was 29, I wrote some words and our band released an album, and now as I’m 80 I’m going to hang it on a picture hook and just be proud of it.”

That’s all he’s done (I think).
                Last edited by PFC67; 10-06-2023, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X