Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is another interesting YouTube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtV2hD4oyzc

The Japanese CD version "Toshiba-EMI Black Triangle CD, CP35-3017, Japan, 1983" was mentioned only indirectly in connection with the same master used for the 1983 US version, at the beginning of the video.
    Last edited by Pittylabelle; 05-18-2023, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Hey guys…so why is the 1983 Japanese CD so revered - genuine question - why is the sound quality that good to get mentioned in this debate. Were the early/first Japanese CDs ^that^ good? This sells for crazy money and really intrigued if someone can explain the nuances of the sound quality on this CD, given this was before the first ever remaster from 1992/3 Shine On Box and XX CD etc. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PFC67 View Post
        Hey guys…so why is the 1983 Japanese CD so revered - genuine question - why is the sound quality that good to get mentioned in this debate. Were the early/first Japanese CDs ^that^ good? This sells for crazy money and really intrigued if someone can explain the nuances of the sound quality on this CD, given this was before the first ever remaster from 1992/3 Shine On Box and XX CD etc. thanks!
        they are the same :

EMI / Sony base master (pre-emphasis)
        Peaks: 39.9 / 43.3 / 70.1 / 55.2 / 72.3 / 44.5 / 53.9 / 54.6 / 61.2
        RMS: -22.31 -23.16 -19.74 -21.54 -19.12 -22.11 -19.35 -22.43 -18.48
        DR 11
        Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 [no TO] UK/Japan 1st 1984 Sony (blackface) *
        Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 [TO] UK/Japan 2nd 1985 Toshiba-EMI (blackface)
        Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 [no TO], US/Japan 1st 1984 Sony (blackface or black triangle)
        Capitol CDP 7 46001 2 [TO], US/Japan 2nd 1986 Toshiba-EMI (blackface)
        Capitol CDP 7 46001 2 [TO J], US/Japan 3rd 1986 Toshiba-EMI (no DIDX on the label)
        Capitol CDP 7 46001 2 [TO J], US/Japan 4th 1986 Toshiba-EMI (DIDX 226 on the label)
        Capitol CDP 7 46001 2, US 5th 1986 PDO (US) (226 without "DIDX" on the label; no plastic hub around the hole)
        Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 [no TO], Canada/Japan 1st 1984 Sony (blackface)
        Toshiba-EMI CP35-3017 [no TO], Japan 1st 1983-86 Sony (black triangle) *
        Toshiba-EMI CP35-3017 [TO], Japan 2nd 1985 Toshiba-EMI
        Harvest 746001-2, Australia/Japan 1st 1985 Toshiba-EMI (blackface)​

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

they are the same :

EMI / Sony base master (pre-emphasis)
          Peaks: 39.9 / 43.3 / 70.1 / 55.2 / 72.3 / 44.5 / 53.9 / 54.6 / 61.2
          RMS: -22.31 -23.16 -19.74 -21.54 -19.12 -22.11 -19.35 -22.43 -18.48
          DR 11
          Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 [no TO] UK/Japan 1st 1984 Sony (blackface) *
          Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 [TO] UK/Japan 2nd 1985 Toshiba-EMI (blackface)
          Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 [no TO], US/Japan 1st 1984 Sony (blackface or black triangle)
          Capitol CDP 7 46001 2 [TO], US/Japan 2nd 1986 Toshiba-EMI (blackface)
          Capitol CDP 7 46001 2 [TO J], US/Japan 3rd 1986 Toshiba-EMI (no DIDX on the label)
          Capitol CDP 7 46001 2 [TO J], US/Japan 4th 1986 Toshiba-EMI (DIDX 226 on the label)
          Capitol CDP 7 46001 2, US 5th 1986 PDO (US) (226 without "DIDX" on the label; no plastic hub around the hole)
          Harvest CDP 7 46001 2 [no TO], Canada/Japan 1st 1984 Sony (blackface)
          Toshiba-EMI CP35-3017 [no TO], Japan 1st 1983-86 Sony (black triangle) *
          Toshiba-EMI CP35-3017 [TO], Japan 2nd 1985 Toshiba-EMI
          Harvest 746001-2, Australia/Japan 1st 1985 Toshiba-EMI (blackface)​
          The crach of the legend of Black Triangle???
          TBS14

Comment

Thanks svaerige - is the sound quality particularly remarkable? - am still not clear why this is so revered. Or is it just due to the rarity - am after some descriptive audiophile comments if someone can explain

Comment

Originally posted by PFC67 View Post
              That question has been the subject of debate in some places. See here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...version.34165/ and also here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...g-test.468342/

In those threads you can see how opinion varies over different Dark Side CD releases. Specially on the blind tests. Worth reading if you want to get some very contradictory opinions.

Supposedly the first Dark Side and Wish You Were Here CD releases (obviously, produced in japan as that's where CDs were first made) were as close as you can get to the original master tapes (you'll read something in the lines of flat transfers and such). Add to that that some purists dread the "R" word (that is "remastered") because... well... purism.

My very own personal opinion: I've got a non-TO black triangle Japanese 1984 Dark Side which uses the same 1983 mastering. It doesn't sound bad, but I think paying 10X more for it compared to other releases doesn't make it sound 10X better than just any other CD copy. The MFSL gold Ultradisc also sounds good. But, again, I don't hear a 10X sound improvement for the 10X price it usually sells for.

Comment

• PFC67
                PFC67 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks that’s a great background on this to read up on 👍

• MrFender
                MrFender commented
                Editing a comment
                My MFSL version does sound that much better as I found it in a thrift store for $5.

Click image for larger version

Name:	t5.png
Views:	576
Size:	746.1 KB
ID:	314205

Comment

is it just me or in us and them is nick mason much lower in the mix compared to previous editions?

Comment

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but (like in the song), "suddenly, I understand the feeling of the few"...
                  Yesterday, I tried to listen to my Blu ray from the immersion set to listen to the surround mix and it seems that finally, like some of you, it does not run anymore. Do you know if there is still a procedure for a remplacement ?
                  And in case of a negative answer, can someone here share a iso file from his BR for me to burn a new one (MP) ?
                  Thanks

Comment

Coincidentally, today I was again at MediaMarkt in Belm, Germany. Over a month ago, I had gotten one of three boxes there for a spot price of 200, - €. Now the two boxes, still lying there, were also both reduced to 200, - €.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thebelgiangnome View Post
                      Sorry for being a bit off topic, but (like in the song), "suddenly, I understand the feeling of the few"...
                      Yesterday, I tried to listen to my Blu ray from the immersion set to listen to the surround mix and it seems that finally, like some of you, it does not run anymore. Do you know if there is still a procedure for a remplacement ?
                      And in case of a negative answer, can someone here share a iso file from his BR for me to burn a new one (MP) ?
                      Thanks
                      To my knowledge, the replacement program has been extended several times and has only been declared terminated not so long ago.

The defective Blu-rays are the ones with the matrix:
                      294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0
                      and
                      294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L1

This was the address to send the defective media to at that time:

PO Box 263
                      Wirral
                      CH29 9FU
                      United Kingdom

However, the address in Wirral is no longer available, as the postal code no longer exists. Also the company aecreate.com doesn't exist anymore, at least the website is not reachable.

Comment

For the replacement of the immersion blu ray, you must write an email to: mail@aecreate.com
                        In 2021 the email was still active.​

Originally posted by Pittylabelle View Post

To my knowledge, the replacement program has been extended several times and has only been declared terminated not so long ago.

The defective Blu-rays are the ones with the matrix:
                        294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0
                        and
                        294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L1

This was the address to send the defective media to at that time:

PO Box 263
                        Wirral
                        CH29 9FU
                        United Kingdom

However, the address in Wirral is no longer available, as the postal code no longer exists. Also the company aecreate.com doesn't exist anymore, at least the website is not reachable.

Comment

Originally posted by Zio Peta View Post
                          For the replacement of the immersion blu ray, you must write an email to: mail@aecreate.com
                          In 2021 the email was still active.​
                          As I said, the domain no longer exists and the exchange program has been terminated.

So, as a test, I just sent an email once to this address with a basic request and got an automatic reply right away, that said the following:

-----

Hi there,

Update: September 2022

The programme has now ended for Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here Blu-rays.

Best,
                          aeCreate

-----​

Comment

Yes, I found the mail address on the Steve Hoffman forum and received the same answer. 😐🙁

Comment

Originally posted by Pittylabelle View Post
                              Coincidentally, today I was again at MediaMarkt in Belm, Germany. Over a month ago, I had gotten one of three boxes there for a spot price of 200, - €. Now the two boxes, still lying there, were also both reduced to 200, - €.
                              Well... Still waiting for, at least, this price to buy it... But no sign for reduce price in France

Comment

• Pittylabelle
                                Pittylabelle commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The one box I was offered for 200,- € was a special offer from the seller just for me. Afterwards, the other two boxes were also reduced to 200,- €.

However, it is not a general reduction by MediaMarkt. The 3 boxes were online returns that were never collected.
                            Working...
                            X