• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svaerige View Post
    just compared vinyl and CD versions

On The Run has slightly different mixes

1. Wembley-1974-OTR-Vinyl

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wembley-1974-OTR-Vinyl.jpg Views:	131 Size:	206.9 KB ID:	308198

2. Wembley-1974-OTR-CD

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wembley-1974-OTR-CD.jpg Views:	121 Size:	240.9 KB ID:	308199
    It's not a different mix. EQ'ing with a gain boost will display the same results you're seeing here.

Comment

Mastering for vinyl is a different process than mastering for digital media. As I said, vinyl has a limited amount of dynamic range in comparison to digital media due to the tiny grooves that the stylus has to follow. Any loud peaks and transients will be squashed down on vinyl, which creates a more consistent and less dynamic waveform.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
        It's the same content, can't speak for the actual files on the disc. They could have at least given us Echoes. That's my main criticism of the boxset, honestly. It's so underwhelming. Roger's rerecording is not going to be for everyone, but he and his current band actually putting in effort to make something special and worthy of the 50th anniversary. The remix James Guthrie made is fantastic (as I expect from him at this point) but the content overall? Just a disappointment. The Atmos mix was really good, but I just don't see how the boxset can be justified at the price, especially when compared to the Why Pink Floyd...? campaign 12 years ago. Just a shame, really.
        See I understand what they did here. The first boxset was a deep dive for collectors. This is a commemoration of 50 years of listening to this album. It's not about unreleased goodies, it's about legacy. Both sets have a respectable place in the catalog

Comment

Had suppressed the purchase of the box for weeks now.

Today I happened to be at MediaMarkt. Now I was confronted again with the thing with which I had actually already finished. There were three boxes.

The boxes were marked with a price of 259.99 € each, because it was online returns that were never picked up. So no damaged boxes or so, but 1A new goods.

I thought hm, better than the price of ~ 300.00 € you can still find at almost all online vendors. I thought about it and a salesman watched me. We got to talking and in the end he said he would offer me the box for 200,- € because he was afraid that he will not get rid of them at all. Well, I have then struck, although I had actually closed with the thing.

200, - € are still a big chunk of money and in my opinion still too much for the part, but what the hell - that's life.

Comment

So, yesterday evening I unpacked the box and once looked closer. Except for an unclean processing inside the lower box, I can not detect any damage.

Behind the concept of the construction of this box is the broader idea of the pyramid, which houses a (Egyptian) sarcophagus in its innermost. The holy of holies, the vinyl album, is then again nested in a golden extra coffin.

From the conceptual aspect certainly an interesting idea and from the bookbinding effort for the best-selling rock album of all time certainly somehow justified.

But ironically, this conceptual one makes sense, at least to me.: The vinyl will stay exactly where it belongs according to this idea - forever in this coffin. I don't think I'll be unpacking all that stuff again. And the price for this box ironically makes sense again - according to the original concept of Storm, the pyramid stands for greed and delusions of grandeur.

I will keep the part in any case, maybe it has a certain collector's value in a few years, which then also has something to do with greed.
            Last edited by Pittylabelle; 04-28-2023, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pittylabelle View Post
              So, yesterday evening I unpacked the box and once looked closer. Except for an unclean processing inside the lower box, I can not detect any damage.

Behind the concept of the construction of this box is the broader idea of the pyramid, which houses a (Egyptian) sarcophagus in its innermost. The holy of holies, the vinyl album, is then again nested in a golden extra coffin.

From the conceptual aspect certainly an interesting idea and from the bookbinding effort for the best-selling rock album of all time certainly somehow justified.

But ironically, this conceptual one makes sense, at least to me.: The vinyl will stay exactly where it belongs according to this idea - forever in this coffin. I don't think I'll be unpacking all that stuff again. And the price for this box ironically makes sense again - according to the original concept of Storm, the pyramid stands for greed and delusions of grandeur.

I will keep the part in any case, maybe it has a certain collector's value in a few years, which then also has something to do with greed.
              Yep, greed is the main theme for this boxset. I already have 3 LP, 4 CD, 2 SACD version and the Immersion boxset. If they release a standalone blu-ray with atmos reasonably priced, I'll get one.

Comment

Originally posted by fatoldpig View Post
                Yep, greed is the main theme for this boxset. I already have 3 LP, 4 CD, 2 SACD version and the Immersion boxset. If they release a standalone blu-ray with atmos reasonably priced, I'll get one.
                I really find it quite sad that they (well, at this point, really David) put minimal effort into the 50th anniversary reissue. Especially considering how much went into the Immersion edition, the 50th anniversary boxset is just pitiful.
                Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post

For my taste I prefer the flat HD transfer from a short while back and, of course, the Black Triangle CD which has always been tops!
                  Just to avoid misunderstandings, with flat HD transfer from a short while back (2021?) you obviously mean the 24/96 2011 remix, right?

Or is there actually a flat HD transfer of the original 1973 master tape?
                  Last edited by Pittylabelle; 05-01-2023, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post

I really find it quite sad that they (well, at this point, really David) put minimal effort into the 50th anniversary reissue. Especially considering how much went into the Immersion edition, the 50th anniversary boxset is just pitiful.
                    I think Dave has pretty much moved on from PF other than:

1) a few "hit" songs that bring in the fans to his shows.
                    2) An income generator.
                    3) Something to needle/irritate Roger with.
                    Good Lord, it's Kitty Carlisle! And she's packing heat! - Crow T. Robot

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                    Rog - Aug 20, 2020, Atlanta (Taped)
                    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

I have a question about the DVD/BR menu

are there any interesting audio tracks there?​

Comment

found an interesting comparison

https://magicvinyldigital.net/2023/0...1-21-versions/

Comment

Well just listened Atmos Blu-ray and DVD

1. Atmos mix is different from 2003 5.1 Mix - there is no additional guitar passage in On The Run

2. There is a 5.1 layer on the Atmos disk - that corresponds to 7.1 mix - and differs from the Blu-ray and DVD 5.1 (which are the same as 2003 mix)

this means that we have two different 5.1 mixes - ha-ha-ha

3. There are three small menu loops of sound effects on each discs - nothing especial interesting​

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

2. There is a 5.1 layer on the Atmos disk - that corresponds to 7.1 mix - and differs from the Blu-ray and DVD 5.1 (which are the same as 2003 mix)

this means that we have two different 5.1 mixes - ha-ha-ha
                            It's a fold down. Guthrie did not create a new 5.1 mix for this release. That's how Dolby TruHD decodes it on my system as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                              It's a fold down. Guthrie did not create a new 5.1 mix for this release. That's how Dolby TruHD decodes it on my system as well.
                              I understand

and yet it's a curious thing​

however it helped me downmix Atmos to good stereo mix for headphones

Comment

Originally posted by Pittylabelle View Post

Just to avoid misunderstandings, with flat HD transfer from a short while back (2021?) you obviously mean the 24/96 2011 remix, right?

Or is there actually a flat HD transfer of the original 1973 master tape?
                                A bit offtopic, but here's a comparison of the "best album version" of The Dark Side Of The Moon that comes to a completely unexpected result in the analog domain:

The Dark Side of the Moon: analog & digital comparison (CD, SACD, Vinyl, Tape)

https://youtu.be/almdxI76DOw

Comment

Working...
                              X