Definitive SBD/OAM/IEM Boot List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by direwolf View Post

Can anyone pop this sample on Mega or suchlike - can't seem to find it amongst the hard drives / DVD-Rs.

Many thanks
    I didn't save it because it just makes me upset. Haha

Anyone else have it?

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
      Does the 1/23/70 Paris radio broadcast count? Not the greatest SQ but presumably a pro recording.

Also 9/19/87 Philadelphia.
      I think Paris was recorded with suspended mic's or similar. I would love to hear the pre-broadcast master some day. We have an audience tape and bits and pieces broadcast at different times, but nothing from the master. Even the cleanest broadcast tracks are squashed with compression.

There is also the other French gig which is available in part on the 'Broadcasting from Europa 1' boot alongside some Paris 1970 material.

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin (That's The Name) View Post

Gilmour has loads of boards from 1977 and it was originally planned to include something for the box set, but after Jackson presented the mixes, Gilmour deemed it "not good enough"...which is more than likely total bullshit. I don't know why Gilmour and others can't just suck up their egos and release these things like The Dead do. If their catalog ever sells I hope it goes to RHINO Records, the ones hosting the Grateful Dead vaults.

In summary, Gilmour would rather put crappy CDs on Spotify for copyright than ever release a fucking board.
        How frustrating. Probably doesn't help that Dave and Roger aren't getting along, probably don't want to be on a conference call with one another longer than 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin (That's The Name) View Post
          If their catalog ever sells I hope it goes to RHINO Records, the ones hosting the Grateful Dead vaults.
          Amen, brother... preach at me!
          Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

On the Animals tour, there is the 1977-01-29-02 "Berlin Desk Tape" that circulates, but there is debate about whether it really a SBD and it is not the whole show.

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post

Amen, brother... preach at me!
              I'm stealing this idea for a Hot Take on the main PF forum.
              Good Lord, it's Kitty Carlisle! And she's packing heat! - Crow T. Robot

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
              PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
              Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
              Rog - Aug 20, 2020, Atlanta (Taped)
              Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by mekmad View Post
                I do hope that the Animals tour was taped but have my doubts after coming up empty for the Animals re-issue.
                There were soundboard recordings - or at least something claimed to be soundboard recordings - and some of them have been released on bootleg, but they are not very good ones. At least there is a Vienna recording of some of the songs claimed to be SBD, but the audience recording from the same show sounds better; the SBD sounds sort of thin and lifeless, drums are barely audible and sound quite dull, and there is little low end. There is also a SBD of parts of the Berlin show, but it does not sound better than some of the better audience recordings from the tour. It's possible that more recordings exist and that some of them are better, but I suspect that none of them were made with the purpose of being released as a live album. They were probably recording with the intention of letting the band hear how the show sounded, or with the purpose of live radio broadcast. Those who have surfaced are probably not first-generation copies, so maybe the masters are better, but what I have heard of soundboards from that tour are unlikely to be released; I think that Pink Floyd will demand higher sound quality if they are going to release something to the public and sell it for money.

Comment

I thought the 1977 "sounboards" that have been rumored to exist for decades have now been confirmed to be OAM recordings. Iirc Andy Jackson cut together a live album of this stuff for the Animals box set, but the band unanimously agreed that it was not up to par. I may be wonky on the exact details, but I am fairly certain that the takeaway was that the band has OAM recordings of several dates, but absolutely no multitracks or soundboard recordings.

For the circulating "Soundboard" recordings we have, I was certain that they were all but confirmed to be monitor mixes due to the uneven balance of instruments. No front of the house board feed would sound like those recordings do unless the engineer was having a very bad day, or if the venue's acoustics presented some unusual challenge.

Comment

For what it's worth, I wanted to get a bit of focus on Roger Waters SBDs and IEMs.

There are at least two soundboards available from Roger's 1987 Radio KAOS tour. The Quebec show was recorded and parts of it broadcast on radio, and has been widely bootlegged, with SQ similar to an official live album. The first Wembley show was also recorded and partly broadcast on radio; that is also a very good sounding recording.

Don't know if there were more SBD from the tour, somebody could probably elaborate on this.

There are also a few of SBDs from the Pros and Cons tour; I think there are at least two from 1984 with Clapton (but I can't remember the venues atm - but somebody will almost certainly be able to inform about this) and the one from New York in 1985.

His Santiago show in 2002 was also recorded for radio broadcast; however, those have a radio annoucer interrupting frequently, among other things to tell the title of every single song in broken English, which some might find a bit annoying.

There are several available IEM recordings from the 2006-2008 Dark Side tour. The Argentina concert released on bootleg DVD is well-known, and there are similar recordings from Chile and Bogota. However, these have loud clicktracks for most of the duration of the show, and there are also count-ins etc. This makes them not the most pleasant listening experience. (For what it's worth, I believe the videos were taken from the big screens as well, which is a bit odd - don't know how they got that footage, but it's probably a similar process to the hijacking of monitor feeds?)

I am, however, sure that there were SBDs recorded for radio broadcast as well. And yeah, there is also the Rock in Rio TV broadcast, which is SBD but terribly mixed, and they also committed another slightly embarrassing mistake during the broadcast....

There is also a great soundboard of one of his 2016 Desert Trip shows (recorded for radio, probably?)

Comment

The '84 soundboard I know is Chicago. If there's another one, that's news to me.
                      The '85 Radio City show while an official broadcast can't possibly be a soundboard. Sounds like they just had some mics set up in the room.
                      We also have the '91 Seville Guitar Legends set and the 2015 Newport Folk Festival set.

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
                        The '84 soundboard I know is Chicago. If there's another one, that's news to me.
                        The '85 Radio City show while an official broadcast can't possibly be a soundboard. Sounds like they just had some mics set up in the room.
                        We also have the '91 Seville Guitar Legends set and the 2015 Newport Folk Festival set.
                        Well, I believed that the amazing New Jersey 1984 recording was SBD as well, but upon listening to it again I agree that it is more likely to be just a good audience recording. So there is probably just one from 1984, my bad.

And btw there is also a partial IEM from Vancouver on his current tour. That one sounds great and is not plagued by the clicktrack issue of the Dark Side IEMs.

Comment

Hm, I don't remember the NJ show sounding nearly that good. But I deleted it after getting the Chicago SBD so too late to check.
                          (I always found the acoustics pretty bad when actually attending shows in Brendan Byrne Arena, too.)

Comment

Working...
                          X