The Floyd Sell Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emdy View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2470.png Views:	0 Size:	447.0 KB ID:	377186

…yeah man.
    This comment has not dated well
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240913-104850.png
Views:	418
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	377188
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

• daemonspudguy
      daemonspudguy commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know, I think the Floyd's music has proven itself to have largely aged remarkably well. Someone at Sony's accounting department also clearly agrees with me on that if they're willing to spend as much as they are on it.

• buffalofloyd
      buffalofloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      I 100% disagree with whatever that person who commented on the original article thinks. I just thought it was funny he says "little to no interest to later generations" and then we hear Netflix allegedly paid $50m for use of a song off of ASoS lol. It's the internet, people are stupid and just spout nonsense all the time.

Anyway, because so much of Floyds music is based on life experience, things we can all relate to, things like love, loss, the passing of time, the struggles of day to day life etc... Their music will always be relevant IMO.

There has to be more to this than that. $50 million is the entire budget for a major Hollywood production, not a license fee for one song.

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
      There has to be more to this than that. $50 million is the entire budget for a major Hollywood production, not a license fee for one song.
      Didn't seem right to me either.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdy View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2470.png
Views:	450
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	377186

…yeah man.
        By tapping into Pink Floyd's timeless music, Netflix is positioning its film to resonate with both fans of the band and hot teachers you can't stop staring at.

Sounds like a winning business plan to me.
        And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

Sony Music will take over social media, Roger will be better treated from now on on Pink Floyd Facebook and Instagram?

Comment

Originally posted by corleone71 View Post
            Sony Music will take over social media, Roger will be better treated from now on on Pink Floyd Facebook and Instagram?
            He just thought that he could use Pink Floyd Social Media for his politics view and said that he was not well treated when they answer no....
            Roger left the band in 85. Could be great to remember that sometimes.

Comment

yeah he quit the band & what if the sale changes nothing in that regard, i mean Roger has his own social media pages and he runs them poorly not many updates and activities when he was on tour etc not good brand awareness for him as a solo artist.
              At the end of the day political stuff has no place on a bands page when it comes to selling the lastest releases and that applies to any band/artist brand when the page should only be about music and nothing else.
              Last edited by Sorrow2024; 10-13-2024, 06:34 PM.

Comment

TER box and all the mastering flaws... At least we got a little something! Someone would have to convince Sony that the hard core Floyd fans who pine over the live stuff and genuine surround sound mixes of said live stuff are still alive and well and hungry. Then they'd have to do some heavy duty production work to put some of these incomplete puzzle pieces back together. Technical issues and shortcomings from their live surround sound mixes being about 40 years ahead of their time and impossible to capture very well back then. And then someone would have to get it approved by both Dave and Rog. Dave seems particularly aloof about old recordings. Rog... No clue what Roger is on about these days. He'd want to re-record it as spoken word or something.

These guys were already checked out years ago. The corporate behemoth has already let fans down with poor work in light of how high these guys set the bar with audiophile sound back in the day. The archives and any thought of hearing some of their live quad mixed shows from back in the day seems as far away as ever.​

Now why is Van Halen Hot For Teacher in my head?

Sony, if you're listening, you know, feel free to prove any of that wrong!
                Last edited by jimfisheye; 10-14-2024, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimfisheye View Post
                  TER box and all the mastering flaws... At least we got a little something! Someone would have to convince Sony that the hard core Floyd fans who pine over the live stuff and genuine surround sound mixes of said live stuff are still alive and well and hungry. Then they'd have to do some heavy duty production work to put some of these incomplete puzzle pieces back together. Technical issues and shortcomings from their live surround sound mixes being about 40 years ahead of their time and impossible to capture very well back then. And then someone would have to get it approved by both Dave and Rog. Dave seems particularly aloof about old recordings. Rog... No clue what Roger is on about these days. He'd want to re-record it as spoken word or something.

These guys were already checked out years ago. The corporate behemoth has already let fans down with poor work in light of how high these guys set the bar with audiophile sound back in the day. The archives and any thought of hearing some of their live quad mixed shows from back in the day seems as far away as ever.​

Now why is Van Halen Hot For Teacher in my head?

Sony, if you're listening, you know, feel free to prove any of that wrong!
                  But does Sony have to get Rog/Dave/Nick's approval? Isn't that what they bought?
                  For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                  PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                  Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                  Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                  Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

No, apparently the publishing rights were not a part of the deal. So now Sony needs to go into the mud, while the band remains relatively intact and expresses their will from a comfortable distance.

It’s either going to work or someone just lost 400 million but everything stays as usual
                    Last edited by KubaWinter; 10-15-2024, 11:04 AM.

Comment

So after reading the various posts on this deal, Sony essentially only purchased the ability to re-release or re-issue what has already been officially released since 1967 (and use the name, image,likeness)? No vault material, even for something like unused live material not included on Ummagumma ?
                      For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                      Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Roger figured out the hard way that the mainstream Floyd audience they built only knows Dark Side, a couple tracks from WYWH, and that song about school. He even threw in the towel and stopped his solo projects after Amused To Death and did retrospective tours. That's going to be all Sony is interested in. It is still a kind of big entity! Just not as interesting to some of us around here. Not much is going to change. Again Sony, you can prove any or all of that wrong, please and thank you!

The saving grace is commercials went with the 20th century. Online media and uBlock Origin and AdBlock for 20 years and all. I'll never have to listen to a hemorrhoid commercial with Eclipse playing over it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

But does Sony have to get Rog/Dave/Nick's approval? Isn't that what they bought?
                          Right, they don't need the band's approval. See post #51 in this thread on the meaning of "publishing rights" - that's consistent with my understanding. The recordings are Sony's now to do with what they wish. Indeed, hasn't Gilmour said his whole rationale for this deal is putting all the fighting over band decisions behind him? No longer their decisions to make.

Comment

Ok, so if I understand well : Sony will just release what already exist.
                            ​​​​​​So, no The Wall 5.1 or Live. No 87 new videos. No full Wembley 74, .... Sad :-(

Comment

Although there is undoubtedly a group of hardcore fans here, I think the truth is that the potential sales from anything pre-dark side is unlikely to justify the expense to a large corporation of putting anything together. I'd be interested to know what the sales of the Early Years was like, and how much profit it made compared to (e.g.) another remaster of DSOTM or WYWH, but I can't imagine Sony wanting to take the risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X