No announcement yet.

The Floyd Sell Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would take some intense work to produce the older live remnants! Something like the half-assed artifact riddled Beatles experiments of recent times would NOT cut it! They have partial multitracks for 2 or 3 shows. None of the live quad mixes off the mixing board. At least that anyone has ever heard of and they verify they never made such recordings. A few really botched mono radio broadcast mixes... The band were so ahead of the times with their live quad production. These would be brutal to work with and try to restore. There's some history that deserves to be put in a spotlight from the pioneer surround sound band that is sorely lacking right now but it would be a mountain of work unlike any other restoration project.

Comment

• beeco
      beeco commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there a big band that has such a massive gap in live documentation from the prime years than the Floyd?

Bad management? Mystique? Laziness?

Weird from a band like you say that was so ahead of the time regarding sound... I mean they filmed the launching of a giant pig..

• jimfisheye
      jimfisheye commented
      Editing a comment
      They were so ahead of the times that it made everything go from zero to 100 in a lot of ways. They would have needed to multitrack just to make a board tape. An 8 track could have in theory captured the quad output, the stereo output, and a pair of room mics. Sound equipment in its infancy back then... You plug in the tape deck and now there's a massive mains hum from some ground loop. Did you also build a transformer isolated splitter?

It's a lot. Yeah, I think there's still a curious gap in missing almost entirely capturing the surround mixes. I suppose they just didn't have a recording fiend in their circle at the same fiendish level of the rest of the goings on. When they did record it was using the usual outsourced options. Even multitrack a few times. But the usual options of the time were just baffled by the level of production and very much missed capturing a lot of elements of the sound and performance. And all of the surround mix performance.

I also don't think they thought of the live mixes as unique animals to capture. They wanted to impress for sure but that was aimed at the rooms and considered part of the utility or something.

Originally posted by lvri View Post
    Ok, so if I understand well : Sony will just release what already exist.
    ​​​​​​So, no The Wall 5.1 or Live. No 87 new videos. No full Wembley 74, .... Sad :-(
    I wouldn't assume it's that bad. I would not expect more Early Years goodies but Atmos versions of all the best-selling albums are among the things I'd consider most likely, because there is a market for that and Sony is very invested in Atmos. They want people buying more amps and speakers.

What more do we need from Wembley 74? Don't we have the whole show between the Immersion sets + Early Years?

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
      What more do we need from Wembley 74? Don't we have the whole show between the Immersion sets + Early Years?
      Yes we do.
      - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post

Yes we do.
        Only caveat being this is a mix of the 15th and 16th, not all from one night.
        Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post

Only caveat being this is a mix of the 15th and 16th, not all from one night.
          Yes, it would be stellar to have both shows as wonderful recordings.
          Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

A version with the intro "cut into little pieces" tape and other bits restored and mixed in quad would be welcome. See, that's the thing. They weren't interested in investing in work to even get that one on deck in a real way like that.

Comment

Working...
            X