No announcement yet.

The Floyd Sell Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a side note about "selling out" - Green Day, supposed "punk" band, has teamed up with Keurig to brand coffee pods and a machine:

https://www.keurig.com/Keurig®-x-Green-Day-%27American-Idiot%27-Anniversary-Edition-Brewer-Bundle/p/Keurig-Green-Day-American-Idiot-Anniversary-Edition-Brewer-Bundle?srsltid=AfmBOor0BVWpDfyw5UtfS-AWve3FLXfFRwZMpCEr26PH2vaM6Iy6AIbd#Black_color

Click image for larger version  Name:	GD.png Views:	4 Size:	363.6 KB ID:	376097
    Last edited by MrFender; 10-01-2024, 08:50 PM.
    For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

The terms also include the band name and the artists’ “likeness”, one person added, which means that the label will have the rights to merchandise and spin-offs such as movies and TV series.
      Awesome! I can’t wait for the new comedy series “Roger Waters - The High School Years”!

Comment

So, now, what will happen ? Nothing more than previous, or is it possible to see a lot of announcement like The Wall Live 80-81 on Bluray and/or the album in atmos ?
        New live from 87/88 in bluray and 4K ?
        Full wembley 74 ? Live from other years ? ...

I really don't know if Sony will have the rights to do things like this ?

What do you think ?
        ​​​​

Comment

The articles all mention "recorded catalog" so it remains to be seen if the potential vault materials are included. Any legal minds here know? I'm sure the sale contract covers those things but we'll probably have to wait and see.

A "Bootleg Series" like Dylan has done with his stuff would be incredible.
          For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

Comment

I am very pessimistic on any bootleg series. If anything the new owners won’t give a shit and will just rerelease the crappy copyright protection boots that were official for a week and then disappeared. I find it highly unlikely archived stuff will get the same care and attention as when David, Nick and Roger were approving things. Hope I’m wrong.

Comment

• Hallucalation
              Hallucalation commented
              Editing a comment
              For the most part it is anything but:"I find it highly unlikely archived stuff will get the same care and attention as when David, Nick and Roger were approving things."

I think Sony will just focus on marketing to the masses, not the fans, interested to see what gets put out.

Comment

Looks like its official

https://www.loudersound.com/news/pin...edium=social&u tm_campaign=socialflow&utm_content=classic-rock

"The FT points out: "Songs have two sets of copyrights: one for the songwriting and one for the recording, or master copy. Pink Floyd has agreed to sell their recorded rights, but not the songwriting, said people familiar with the matter."​"

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
                These comments on that article are amazing
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240913-104850.png Views:	642 Size:	646.6 KB ID:	374323
                Well, somehow I feel forced to second what this guy is writing though it isn't completely true.
                I am 48 now, discovered PF at the age of 5 (one of the few good and sustaining things I received from my father...), my most favourite PF album is 3/4 year older than me and my 15yo son wears his DSOTM t-shirt with pride and asked about his favourite song he would most likely answer TGGITS.
                So it seems to be less about fans growing old.
                But if I remember correctly David recently mentioned in an interview, he would be ready to sell the rights, just because he got exhausted about the discussions about and approval of releases quite some time ago - and this is something I really feel compassion for.
                The past 40 years must have been nothing less than terribly distressing for each of the three remaining.
                They're old, wealthy and probalby tired of all this fighting.
                I really have empathy for the wish of getting rid of that past.
                With the one exception of Rog, who more than ever is jerking off on himself.
                And those discussions about the rights sale could be the true reason for Rog's DS redux.
                Anyway, in the end Rog is the guy, who made it all uncomfortable in 1985 - he is to blame, if anyone has a need to blame anyone...
                And if I remember correctly, the deal in 1987/8/9 was, that Rog keeps the exclusive rights for The Wall. So at least The Wall might be excluded from a sale of rights. No idea, what impact a veto of Rog could have on the deal concerning the rest of the catalogue. Clues, anyone?

In the end I think it could turn out nicely for us hardcores, if a bunch of money makers had control of the PF back catalogue and shit everything available out to the market (demos, alternate takes, raw mixes, SBDs etc.).
                Just remember: We could buy it, but we wouldn't have to...
                Most of us complain about too little archive releases, and if there is one, most of us complain about the quality of it...
                It seems we are always complaining whatever happens. And I don't exclude myself. Look at the Animals Remix thread.
                I think the worst thing that could happen is, that everything remains as it is now...
                Last edited by creamcheese; 10-02-2024, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Don't count on any of this benefitting hard-core fans.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                    Don't worry. As a fan of this band I have long given up counting on anything.
                    That makes it quite comfortable...

Comment

Sadly, I can foresee the big advertisers searching song titles and lyrics best suited to their product. Queen are all over the UK tv ads.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                        This sounds like the safe bet. If the revenue stream is already $50 million per annum it only takes 8 years for the deal to break even with no new material put out whatsoever. Now add "Run Like Hell" on a Volkswagen commercial and we can start getting a sense of where a '77 live show or a BBC update is gonna sit on their priority list.

Comment

You'd have thought The Wall Live would be a big ticket release. Probably big enough to get a theatre run. I can't imagine there's much else expect rereleases and licensing for adverts to go at.

It'll be a horrible franken-show that switches night every 10 seconds but most of the punters won't notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Journey Man View Post
                            Sadly, I can foresee the big advertisers searching song titles and lyrics best suited to their product. Queen are all over the UK tv ads.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
                              These comments on that article are amazing
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240913-104850.png Views:	833 Size:	646.6 KB ID:	374323

The articles state that they were bringing in aprox $50 million / year through the pre and post 1987 companies. 10 year payback, probably less as they pimp out songs to commercials/movies/whatever they can get. I don't think they can wait that long to recoup the initial investment, I'm expecting a plethora of "Special Editions" (not necessarily any "new" material releases).

Comment

Working...
                              X