The Floyd Sell Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheMoebLoop View Post
    Indeed! Talk about the fallacy of "I don't like it, therefore, it is useless". Radiohead have modelled their sound on Pink Floyd and Can for decades and been called cutting edge, so, if Floyd's sound has not dated well, rock can go die.
    I think the foolish comment in the screenshot can be put down to someone who does not even know what "dated" means.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post
      Dave obviously is ready to sell (as he has stated several times now) but I wonder how Roger and Nick feel? What would happen to his beloved Wall?
      I think that legally, The Wall and its many supplementary materials are not part of Pink Floyd's catalogue, but rather the separate Roger Waters catalogue. This was a result of a provision in the 1987 settlement where Roger got all rights to The Wall, the flying pig, and The Final Cut. So, even though the album has Pink Floyd's name on it, legally it is a Roger Waters album.

As for how Nick feels, he might be excited at the possibility of archival releases, since he was most interested in those for the box sets over the years. However, I don't want to put words in his mouth, so we'll just have to wait for his statement if/when he makes one.
      "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

perhaps this Sony Music offer gives an explanation as to why multiple Wall-era videos have been copyright stricken on YouTube lately (full August 1980 show is gone as well as most copies of the ‘81 clips).

that being said, i also hope it doesn’t end up going to Sony seeing as how they’ve screwed over many artists over the years (MJ anyone?)

Comment

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post

I think the foolish comment in the screenshot can be put down to someone who does not even know what "dated" means.
          Yes. I was also referring to the other equally clueless commenter, who apparently believes that, since he dislikes Pink Floyd, so must everyone else.

Comment

Given PF's cold attitude towards their shows, the copyrights for live performances are a completely separate and strange part of this story. Something "doesn't connect" here.
            We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Everyone dreams of unreleased material finally being released. My fear is it will be done via the same albums but with just one or two bonus tracks. “Let’s buy the Animals album again just so we can get a 2 minute acoustic Dogs demo”. Crap like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
                Everyone dreams of unreleased material finally being released. My fear is it will be done via the same albums but with just one or two bonus tracks. “Let’s buy the Animals album again just so we can get a 2 minute acoustic Dogs demo”. Crap like that.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor-2021600722.gif
Views:	637
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	374485

Unfortunately, we are the cow in this relationship.
                Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Be happy, we have a dozen remastered version of dark side .....

Comment

When they sell the rights when still living and in control, they can place limits on the usage.
                    By all accounts, David & Roger made sure Syd was not homeless. To date we have not seen Syd Barrett hoop earrings and I hope David will place limits on the marketing of the Pink Floyd name, limits David's heirs and Roger's ex-wives may not exercise.

Elvis Presley "Burning Love" Hoop Earrings With Crystals

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 11-36-40 Elvis Presley Burning Love Gold-Toned Hoop Earrings Adorned With A Montage Of Elvis Art And 12 Crystal Accents.png Views:	0 Size:	216.1 KB ID:	374490
                    Last edited by mark2114; 09-15-2024, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
                      These comments on that article are amazing

Name:	Screenshot_20240913-104850.png
Views:	1628
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	374323
                      Like, I'm 20, got into Pink Floyd during the lockdown, and specifically sought out more of their stuff after the Wall, with its themes about the damage social isolation does, resonated with me as much as it did. But, yeah, sure, only old and dying people like Pink Floyd and there definitely haven't been any other acts who have been influenced by them. /s
                      Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                      Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                      Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                      Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Elvis.jpg
                        Originally posted by mark2114 View Post
                        When they sell the rights when still living and in control, they can place limits on the usage.
                        By all accounts, David & Roger made sure Syd was not homeless. To date we have not seen Syd Barrett hoop earrings and I hope David will place limits on the marketing of the Pink Floyd name, limits David's heirs and Roger's ex-wives may not exercise.

Elvis Presley "Burning Love" Hoop Earrings With Crystals

Ooohhh, how about "commemorative" plates:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Elvis.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	374551

They could do skinny Dave​ from the 60s-70​s and fat Dave from the 80s!

Click image for larger version  Name:	David-Dave-Gilmour-perfoms-Pink-Floyd-1970.webp Views:	0 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	374552Click image for larger version  Name:	Dave.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	374553​​
                        Last edited by MrFender; 09-16-2024, 11:35 AM.
                        For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                        PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                        Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                        Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                        Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

It's strange to imagine seeing audios and videos getting out tomorrow which are not today because David or Roger didn't want....

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post
                            Elvis.jpg

Ooohhh, how about "commemorative" plates:

Click image for larger version Name:	Elvis.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	374551

They could do skinny Dave​ from the 60s-70​s and fat Dave from the 80s!

Click image for larger version Name:	David-Dave-Gilmour-perfoms-Pink-Floyd-1970.webp Views:	0 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	374552Click image for larger version Name:	Dave.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	374553​​
                            I'm in. How many payments of $29.99 do I need to make before this sweet collectible plate is all mine? You know they appreciate in value, right?

Name:	icqrczc7xre61.webp
Views:	512
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	374644
                            And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

• NuffM
                              NuffM commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Have you guys seen "The Final Cut Cutting Board" on their official website? It's fucking ridiculous 🤣🤣🤣

The deal is apparently done

https://www.ft.com/content/c484dfc0-...f-040a47c189ff

Comment

From Music Business Worldwide site:

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.c...l-say-sources/

The transaction is understood to include Floyd’s recordings catalog, plus neighboring rights, plus ‘name and likeness’ rights. It does not include publishing rights.

The news was first reported today (October 1) by the Financial Times.

The news comes after Sony reportedly completed the acquisition of a career-spanning set of rights for another legendary band, Queen, for over $1 billion, earlier this year.

That Queen deal included publishing rights, ‘name and likeness’ rights, plus recorded music rights outside of North America.

As MBW revealed in September, the recorded music royalties for Pink Floyd’s music currently flows into two UK companies: Pink Floyd (1987) Limited and Pink Floyd Music Limited.

The former appears to collect revenues for the band’s recorded music catalog following Roger Waters’ departure in 1985; the latter collects revenues for music recorded before Waters’ departure.

Combined, these two firms generated revenues of GBP £40.399 million during their fiscal year ended June 30 2023. That converts to approximately USD $50 million.

That's the first time I've seen a number on how much revenue the band generates.
                              For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                              PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                              Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                              Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                              Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Working...
                              X