The Floyd Sell Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Floyd Sell Out?

I think this has been mentioned some time ago but I saw this while I was at work...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240913_114957219~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	418.8 KB ID:	374313
    Last edited by buffalofloyd; 09-13-2024, 12:19 PM.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks for posting, I found an original source: https://www.ft.com/content/fa50be3f-...1-f9d4092da1e6

Comment

• buffalofloyd
      buffalofloyd commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a paywall on this which I can't access on mobile at this time.

• DesertRat
      DesertRat commented
      Editing a comment
      https://archive.is/9B22y

Archived version of the article (helps with the paywall)

These comments on that article are amazing
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240913-104850.png
Views:	1628
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	374323

Comment

Queen being offered double that much? Their bassist is much better in fostering good deals, isn’t he? 🤪

Comment

The list of artists selling their catalogs is ever-growing.
        Bob Dylan
        Springsteen
        Neil Young

It seems they have come to the realization that the rights will not be controlled by them once they pass, so they are selling it off and designating where the funds go now and after they pass.
        Lawyers have made tons of money in the fights by the families fighting over the rights to music they never created.

Comment

• stonytokes
          stonytokes commented
          Editing a comment
          My ears are burning.

What I wonder is if a sale would or could impact our little corner of the Internet we have here.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
          What I wonder is if a sale would or could impact our little corner of the Internet we have here.
          Unlikely... They're talking about official releases, well maybe about studio demos...
          We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

• Flat Eggs
            Flat Eggs commented
            Editing a comment
            Dear Floyds, sell everything now! Empty the archives, not with the laziness of when you produced Early Years, publish everything this time, damn it! 😃

Dave obviously is ready to sell (as he has stated several times now) but I wonder how Roger and Nick feel? What would happen to his beloved Wall?
          For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
          PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
          Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
          Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
          Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

"The Floyd" sold out long ago. Let's not kid ourselves. That's the point of forming a band. See Tool's Hooker With A Penis for reference. They did, however, write some amazing songs and albums that examine the human condition a whole lot more intelligently and faithfully than, say...The Beatles...and as such, I think future generations will be listening to the Floyd when other classic rock icons have been long forgotten.

I'm sure Rog will be able to cry himself to sleep about losing the rights to his precious Wall by sleeping on a fat stack of cash. He's milked about as much as he can out of it at this point. I suppose he could wait another five years for the fiftieth anniversary and milk it some more. Hopefully he won't drag it across the world one last time. I'd just like to see the official release of the pro-shot Wall video footage before I shuffle off the mortal coil, so I'm not sure whether I should be rooting for them to sell the catalogue or not...
            And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by YASHA View Post

Unlikely... They're talking about official releases, well maybe about studio demos...

I wouldn't bet on it. I could be wrong, but the copyright dumps of live shows would suggest otherwise.
              And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

You cant take it with you so you may as well sell it and pass it down the family line. I could wish that Sony would release the entire Dark Side that was recorded in June 1972 but I would be sleeping having a fever dream. Hey,you released the Entire Wembley show in parts but this was widely bootlegged for decades.The Brighton recording whether it was June 28 or 29 or both exists and I would be satisfied if they release the complete DSOTM instead of teasing everybody with 3 songs Hell,whose to say the entire concert was recorded. Anyway.thats my 2 cents

Comment

It seems evident to me from recent interviews that David is utterly weary of arguing over everything to do with every single PF release. I don't even think it's about the money, after all he's sold a house and a shedload of guitars and given the money away. I think it's more about not having to put his family through having to negotiate with Roger every time. The Animals re-release is a prime example of how difficult it is for them to agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roger is holding it up just to annoy David.

Comment

• voices2010
                    voices2010 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In reality it was the other way around... David blocked the release for including notes written by Mark Blake that were released anyway.... he simply didn't feel like approving the release for years until the notes were removed. ....

These comments on that article are amazing
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240913-104850.png
Views:	1628
Size:	646.6 KB
ID:	374323
                  Indeed! Talk about the fallacy of "I don't like it, therefore, it is useless". Radiohead have modelled their sound on Pink Floyd and Can for decades and been called cutting edge, so, if Floyd's sound has not dated well, rock can go die.

Comment

Originally posted by KubaWinter View Post
                    Queen being offered double that much? Their bassist is much better in fostering good deals, isn’t he? 🤪
                    They are not selling the publishing rights

Comment

For what it’s worth, considering David’s recent comments on wanting to sell the catalogue to be done with the arguments, and considering what has been released since (an estimate of when) the arguments started up again, I would think it’s safe to assume the catalogue sale includes at least some of the work that extends beyond what has already been released. I can’t imagine too much bickering over some simple remasters.

We may yet get to hear the work done on the ‘77 tour recordings…

Edit to add: Actually, now I’m wondering if there was some strategy behind the relatively meager contents tied to the ridiculous price of the DSOTM 50th set, essentially being the contents of the standalone BluRay and a CD from 2011 with fancy packaging. I could see it as a sort of advertisement for prospective purchasers of the catalogue, showing how much you can charge for so little, and maybe how much more is in the vaults that wasn’t included.
                      Last edited by Emdy; 09-14-2024, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X