No announcement yet.

Sunday Showdown: Grantchester Meadows vs The Narrow Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea what the extraneous stuff going on in this thread is about but some people just really seem to need attention. Anyway, I chose GM. In my opinion it's just a much more beautiful and well rounded song, and the KQED performance is incredibly good. No wrong answer though.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

"The Narrow Way" all the way; "Grandchester Meadows" bores me.

BTW, does anyone have a clue on how that effect which links Part 2 into Part 3 was achieved? I mean the one that is a descending harsh sound which then turns choir-like.

Comment

• Emdy
        Emdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Some sort of square or sawtooth synth quickly crossfading into a sampled vocal bit, possibly from a Mellotron?

Originally posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
      So, please, if we're telling you that something is annoying, pay attention

Where have you been?
      It′s alright we know where you've been

What did you dream?
      It′s alright we told you what to dream

Comment

Oh man, I don´t like to compare them, they all belong to our beloved Pink Floyd universe.. But let me say, one of their greatest live pieces (for me obviously) is the amalgamation of GM with Astronomy Domine.. the transition in between just beautiful..

Comment

Originally posted by Floydophile View Post

Where have you been?
          It′s alright we know where you've been

What did you dream?
          It′s alright we told you what to dream
          I'm not the system, don't compare me and don't put me in the same place which Roger rants about and I rant about too.

I repeat, I, we, the mods, we're not the system or The Powers That Be, we're just trying to keep this forum running. We don't force anyone to do anything, you're free to do what you want and live with the consequences, just like real life.
          If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

• Floydophile
            Floydophile commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for this clarification, as it has made clear, what your 'we' was standing for.
            Last edited by Floydophile; 08-19-2024, 07:00 PM.

Grantchester Meadows. That damn fly which gets spattered in the end, If not for the song,the sound effects are cool.

Comment

I general skip GM almost every time...studio or live. The Narrow Way all the way.

The "EYE" thing - generally I do not wade into these waters, but,​​ while I agree with the idea espoused above that it might be juvenile to do, I also find the idea of potentially banning someone over doing it just as juvenile. Getting back out of the water now and will remain on dry ground...

Comment

I love this forum. Let's keep it happy, folks.

Comment

Grantchester Meadows hands down for me.
                Last edited by rontoon; 08-20-2024, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I personally think a showdown between Grantchester Meadows and If is more interesting: both are Rog on picked acoustic guitar songs. And my vote on that is Grantchester Meadows​.

Comment

What really annoys me about the studio version of Grandchester Meadows is the bird sound effects loop, it's just way too short and it's repeated during the whole song. Since I noticed it I haven't been able to enjoy the song as much as I used to. The live versions are much better because it has different bird sounds that doesn't loop like that.
                    Maybe I'm being too picky, but that's how I feel. The song itself it really good by the way 🙂

Comment

• YASHA
                      YASHA commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Truly so!

In my opinion, the absence of this short "bird fragment", which is repeated with manic persistence, would be a gift for all of us.

If birds in the meadows had a day off on this day, we would have become the owners of a unique version =)

Originally posted by Floydfan2410 View Post
                    What really annoys me about the studio version of Grandchester Meadows is the bird sound effects loop, it's just way too short and it's repeated during the whole song. Since I noticed it I haven't been able to enjoy the song as much as I used to. The live versions are much better because it has different bird sounds that doesn't loop like that.
                    Maybe I'm being too picky, but that's how I feel. The song itself it really good by the way 🙂
                    Exactly this. I cannot stand the birds on repeat; drives me insane. If there were no birds GM would win easily, but since there are I'm going with The Narrow Way.

Comment

Originally posted by Anredeon View Post
                      Oh man, I don´t like to compare them, they all belong to our beloved Pink Floyd universe.. But let me say, one of their greatest live pieces (for me obviously) is the amalgamation of GM with Astronomy Domine.. the transition in between just beautiful..
                      ^ This. The Fillmore performance is perfection on the transition and also the best version of GM. It needed that extra melodic touch on the chorus that Gilmour nailed on this one.

Comment

Grantchester Meadows for sure...and, yes, the transition from the nature to space was genius. I wish they had done it a few more times. And of course the piano in the BBC version outro was nice as well. The Narrow Way is ruined by poor sound quality, poor drumming, sci fi lyrics, a poor mix, and barely audible vocals. The BBC version is better.
                        Last edited by Demamo; 08-21-2024, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Demamo View Post
                          The Narrow Way is ruined by poor sound quality, poor drumming, sci fi lyrics, a poor mix, and barely audible vocals. The BBC version is better.
                          Funny how different persons see things differently in art. I love the drumming on the studio version, with its unusual fills and heavy ride work - very unlike what Mason would have provided; and the low vocal mix gives it a mysterious, somewhat romantic aura to my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                          X