Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminal Frost Coming Back To Life

Comment

Skins. Sounds enough like the early stuff I love so much without being as derivative or glossy as a lot of the latter stuff. Love it when Nick gets to shine.

Comment

Not my favorite period for sure, but EYE absolutely love Yet Another Movie, my favorite track on AMLoR and best song of the Mach II era, IMO. I'm betting EYE have Patrick Leonard to thank for the lyrics, which get me in my guts every time.

Side 2 of AMLoR is about the only Mach II Floyd EYE listen to any longer. In my opinion, side 2 is the closest that Mach II ever got to the "Pink Floyd Sound", ironically. First in space, that being the space inside your mind. "EYE HAVE ALWAYS LOOKED OUT FROM BEHIND THESE EYES." Genius.

Oh, and make sure it's the original 80s version. EYE want to hear Jim Keltner and Carmine Appice's parts. EYE love Nick and his style, but it doesn't fit this album. You can keep your revisionist history, thank you very much.

A Great Day For Freedom is about the only song EYE enjoy from TDB, the album where Mach II went all easy listening on us. Towering solo.

And The Endless River (of Cash) shouldn't even be considered a PF album, IMO. It should have been released as a bonus disc with one of the TDB anniversary editions as what it was: a half-baked collection of demos and what can barely be considered songs featuring repetitive sounding ideas that didn't make TDB, NOT as THE LAST PF ALBUM. EYE try listening again every once in a while, just to verify it's as bad as EYE thought on first listen, and it always confirms my initial impression.

EYE think I'm going to go smoke one and listen to side 2.
        And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

• MrFender
          MrFender commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought this was more of Mach III (or Mark III) lineup. Syd > Syd-less > Water-less

• stonytokes
          stonytokes commented
          Editing a comment
          MrFender Yeah, I agree. I should have known I wouldn't get away with that around here.

i was confused what the question was at first, i thought you were speaking in metaphors like “what PF song sounds the least wet?”

but anyways, i think my favorites of the AMLOR era are One Slip (love that chord progression and the energy of the drums), Yet Another Movie (spectacular guitar work on this one), and on a good day the DSOT live version of On The Turning Away (best part is when the girls hit that high note on “just a world that we all must share..”

as far as Division Bell goes, i love Poles Apart so much (lyrics are unusually great for this album and bittersweet, the middle section is eh), the P•U•L•S•E version of Keep Talking (the samples are better placed rhythmically and that talk box guitar work is god tier) and Lost For Words is such an underrated gem of a song (“but they tell me to please go fuck myself…” speaks for itself).

the only bit of The Endless River i really like is the start of side 3, the whole The Lost Art Of Conversation/On Noodle Street bit (it’s got a nice groove and the keyboards are great) everything else just kinda sucks

Comment

• stonytokes
          stonytokes commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the same confusion initially, especially when a member responded with Signs Of Life. I thought, "That's not waterless, I can hear the Thames in the background."

I am surprised there has not been a mention of Leaning to Fly.
        Always will be the song that brought me into the Floyd universe.
        The 87/88 version kills any version from the 94 tour I have heard.
        Second would be Yet Another Movie.
        Would be amazing to see him perform both on this tour.
        I count myself very lucky to have been at the Hollywood Bowl show in 16 when What Do You Want from Me was performed for the first time since 94.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
          daemonspudguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Learning to Fly is indeed great (and has an epic bassline thanks to Tony Levin, session bassist and mustached egg).

Hard to only name one favorite, I love that era. So I'll try with a top 5 in no particular order:

- On the Turning Away. Epic tune!
        - Cluster One. I love the interplay between David and Rick.
        - Things Left Unsaid/It's What We Do/Ebb and Flow. In my opinion it's the classic Pink Floyd sound! Just amazing!
        - Yet Another Movie. A song I really hope David will play on his upcoming tour!
        - Lost for Words. Always loved this one.

I could name many more, but these are definitely favorites of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Floydophile View Post
          And what about 'Cluster One'?

A timeless piece and a very close & intimate musical conversation between Messrs. Gilmour, Mason and Wright.
          came here to be upset about no one mentioning Cluster one, lol...
          mine
          also, now that we apparently CAN do multiples:
          Signs of life (!!!!) on the turning away, One slip (hell yeah!) , sorrow. also, believe i am the only one on here to admit loving Dogs of War!
          cluster one, Marooned, WDYWFM, Poles apart
          most if not all of Endless R. (except "Skins" effing hate that)

Comment

Originally posted by Pottel View Post

came here to be upset about no one mentioning Cluster one, lol...
            mine
            also, now that we apparently CAN do multiples:
            Signs of life (!!!!) on the turning away, One slip (hell yeah!) , sorrow. also, believe i am the only one on here to admit loving Dogs of War!
            cluster one, Marooned, WDYWFM, Poles apart
            I love Dogs of War as well, you're definitely not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Pottel View Post
              Wow - my favorite bits from Endless River are Sum & Skins. I’d love to hear a full album of that. Skin reminds me of a short modern version of a Saucerful of Secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
                Skin reminds me of a short modern version of a Saucerful of Secrets.
                And then one day you find ten years have got behind you…

Comment

On the Turning Away is a beautiful song, marred only by the cringy lyrics. I still wince when I hear "pale and downtrodden."
                  Wearing the Inside Out is my favorite across both albums.
                  If we're expanding to TER and the box set, then honorable mentions to It's What We Do and Rick's Theme.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post

Wow - my favorite bits from Endless River are Sum & Skins. I’d love to hear a full album of that. Skin reminds me of a short modern version of a Saucerful of Secrets.
                    I like the Sum->Skins sequence because Sum is reminiscent of One of These Days and Skins is Saucerful, so it's like we're seeing time go in reverse.

Comment

Mine are: "Yet another Movie", which I don't consider strong as a song, but always has interesting solos; "Sorrow" from many 1994 performances; "Wearing the Inside out"; "Keep Talking", which suffers from the same predicament of not being strong as a song, but has intriguing textures and astounding atonal talk box solos in many performances; and "Autumn '68", which is, at once, a Floyd composition and not, and both Watered and Waterless, but very beautiful and touching in whichever way I put it to myself.

Those are, in fact, the only post-Waters compositions I've kept.
                      Last edited by TheMoebLoop; 08-19-2024, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMoebLoop View Post
                        Mine are: "Yet another Movie", which I don't consider strong as a song, but always has interesting solos
                        The echoey piano going back and forth left/right is a great effect in the beginning. The guitar solo is great too. The only problem with the song is “the babbling that I brook”. Cringe! But still a fun song.
                        Last edited by DaveTheRave; 08-19-2024, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• TheMoebLoop
                          TheMoebLoop commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree with you.
                      Working...
                      X