Gilmour's Luck & Strange Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beeco View Post
    I kind of like the residency thing but this one just feels a little short. He could probably sell 14 nights in the UK no problem.
    For the OA I tour wasn't it London, Manchester and Edinburgh?
    I certainly don't begrudge how he's doing it. If he doesn't like touring anymore that's up to him. He's got nothing to prove anymore.
    For the right locations, an artist can sell out many nights like you say. Just look to the Allman Brothers now legendary Beacon Theater runs - 15 shows over three weeks in 2009. Clapton has done a number of them as well, U2's recent ones in Las Vegas, etc. The difference here is that Dave is doing relatively few shows where most other artists do significantly more around the globe.

I could afford financially to travel a ways to a show, getting signoff from my wife is a whole 'nuther matter. 😂
    What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

• beeco
      beeco commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got the sign off! I just can't bring myself to spend that much. For a single show if be looking at £500 minimum once I take in to account travel and accommodation. I only live 4 hours north of London.

I'll keep my 500 sheets and enjoy a night with the headphones on and a recording from a generous member on here.

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

For the right locations, an artist can sell out many nights like you say. Just look to the Allman Brothers now legendary Beacon Theater runs - 15 shows over three weeks in 2009. Clapton has done a number of them as well, U2's recent ones in Las Vegas, etc. The difference here is that Dave is doing relatively few shows where most other artists do significantly more around the globe.

I could afford financially to travel a ways to a show, getting signoff from my wife is a whole 'nuther matter. 😂
    Yeah, same here. I wouldn’t seriously consider flying to another country for a concert. Add to that I’m underwhelmed by his new song and keeping expectations in check for the rest of the album. I was just saying at David’s age you take what you can get, even though a residency itself wouldn’t be a draw for me unless it was NYC.

Comment

For all my grumbling, I'm actually tempted to go see Nick Mason and Gilmour in Rome - I live out in the countryside, but it's less than an hour's drive to the centre.

Nick Mason's Saucerful tickets are a reasonable (ish) 58 euros and there are plenty left.

If, as I suspect, the Circo Massimo tickets will be on sale for ages, I might end up seeing both for less than 120 euros.

Dare I say it, if anyone here is upset they couldn't score tickets to the RAH gigs - I would strongly suggest avoiding the touts, saving your money, watch what happens in Italy with tickets - and fly out here for a weekend and see him in a 2000 year old venue. By all accounts it will cost you a fraction of the UK dates - and it probably won't be cold, windy and pouring down with rain as you arrive at the venue.

Comment

Below are the conditions I received for the tickets I purchased via the RAH ticketing site, Ticketmaster may not have the same conditions.

Ticket T&C’s
        • The name of the lead booker will be printed on each ticket.
        • The lead booker must attend the concert and photo ID in its original format (no photocopies) will be required to gain entry to the venue. There will be no exceptions to this rule. Photo ID can be any formal, recognisable form of ID such as a passport, driving licence, bus pass, work pass etc.
        • The name cannot be changed once the booking has been made.
        • If you are booking more than one ticket your guests must enter the concert at the same time as you. Failure to do so will result in the guests being turned away. Only the lead booker can collect tickets from the box office; you cannot leave tickets to be collected by your guests.
        • Failure to adhere to these terms and conditions will result in your order being void.
        • There will be no re-admittance allowed
        Last edited by mark2114; 05-12-2024, 10:06 PM.

Comment

" David Gilmour torna sulla scena dopo 9 anni - All’interno del Circo Massimo verrà allestita un’arena costruita appositamente per l’occasione con tutti posti a sedere."

Okay, we should all probably forget about that photo of 70,000 people huddled together in the mighty Circo Massimo. The above sentence translates as "a purpose-built seating area will be installed especially for the occasion"

I did struggle to think how on earth he'd come close to selling out those nights at Circo Massimo, given the large capacity. He's essentially modifying the venue into something much, much, smaller.

What is a little surprising is that venue itself, while it is rich in history, is also nothing more than a very large field surrounded by very busy roads/traffic on all sides. If this is a scaled-down concert, he could have chosen the much more beautiful Terme di Caracalla, which is just near by and far more atmospheric for an intimate gig - or even the amphitheatre in Ostia, another impressive venue surrounded by Roman ruins. I don't follow the gig scene in Rome, but I've never heard of someone taking over Circo Massimo and then eliminating most of the space to condense the gig into a small venue. The Rolling Stones played there a few years back - they took over the whole place - and other major acts have done the same.

Tickets may not be so plentiful - or cheap.

I'm pretty sure I'll just stick to Nick Mason in July and give this a hard pass - if the above info is correct. It also means Ticketmaster/etc and Mr. Gilmour will once again be able to fleece the fans and get those £250 - £7000 tickets out there. Although in this case, they could have just expanded the size of the venue to make it more affordable. Let's see what he reduces 70,000 places to...? 500? 1000? 2000? At any rate, it will probably be carefully measured so he can charge a small fortune, just like RAH.

I ask you one question; is he so poor that he can't put on a concert that's accessible to just about anyone with a passing interest or an old fan of his past music? Does he really need to charge this much? Or perhaps it's best put this way - he's a multi-millionaire playing gigs strictly for the wealthy.

"Money, it's a gas
          Grab that cash in both hands and make a stash"​

Indeed
          Last edited by DiegoFermoli; 05-13-2024, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Personally, in my opinion, David does not solve such issues ^^^
            Or has the right of an advisory vote, nothing more.
            Do not forget that the performers are always in sight.
            I am tormented by vague doubts - something is wrong here, starting with the cover of the new album...
            We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Now there are US dates, they are surprisingly limited!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat View Post
                Now there are US dates, they are surprisingly limited!
                To that I want to point out that on his website, he explicitly says that these are the only NA cities instead of dates outlined on the UK and Italy shows. I reckon he will add 1 more show to each on there.

Why couldn’t these dates be announced all at once?

Comment

Hollywood Bowl and MSG announced — see y'all at MSG!! Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20240513_101810_Chrome.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	369174
                  - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Originally posted by Ello_Guvner View Post
                    Because money.
                    - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

he explicitly says that these are the only NA cities instead of dates outlined on the UK and Italy shows. I reckon he will add 1 more show to each on there.
                      Good point - and I also wonder if specifying north America means there may be a string of dates in South America?

Comment

A bit of drama at the RAH which may also explain the 1000+ tickets that could be re-sold to just about anyone.

A quarter of the 5000 odd seats are owned privately, everyone from descendants of subscribers who helped build the venue, or subscribed back in the day, to banks for investment purposes.

Those 1000+ tickets can be sold to anyone they please for whatever amount of money they want - as the article states.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...r-charity-gigs

Comment

To that I want to point out that on his website, he explicitly says that these are the only NA cities instead of dates outlined on the UK and Italy shows. I reckon he will add 1 more show to each on there.

Because that way he’s not embarrassed if demand is lower than expected and he can’t sell enough seats to justify a third night.

Speaking as an old man, it’s kind of frustrating that the NY shows are on a Monday & Tuesday. Good luck getting a sitter for a late night on a school night. Guess I’ll look for the recordings here instead.

Comment

i find it slightly amusing that the album release is September 6...Rogers birthday lol

Comment

With just 4 US dates I would not be surprised if they ad dates to LA and or NY.

Comment

Working...
                            X