Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creamcheese View Post

I second that!

And no matter what is suggested for release here, an official release of that kind will lead to the same complaints about:

- sound quality
    - sound resolution/codec
    - picture quality
    - lack of bonus material
    - exclusion of tracks
    - packaging
    - price

And that kind of discussion thread will always lead to the same questions:

- (When) will they release The Wall 80/81 concert BR?
    - (When) will they release The Wall 5.1/Athmos?
    - (When) will they release RMCH 1973?
    - (When) will they release Brighton Dome 1972?
    - (When) will they release Animals SBD Tapes?

In case they release any of these, return to the beginning of this post to read what will happen...
    God... Is there any chance to talk about something without having this kind of answers ? I didn't put a knife under the throat of David to obtain what I want ! I know he has the right to do whatever he wants... Is it a reason to not talk about this ?

I just share an opinion, ask the other members their thoughts, wishes, opinions... And this is a way to learn something about the official release too.

Well... Whatever...
    ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Fungusmungus View Post
      The (incomplete) Hammersmith show was released on VHS for the '84 tour. I don't know how it was recorded, digital or film.
      I don't think they had digital recording for visuals in 1984, only sound?

Comment

I love conversations about these questions, the speculation is fascinating and people always add some insight or opinion as to why or why not they may be, plus who knows if speaking things into existence works

Comment

I second that!

And no matter what is suggested for release here, an official release of that kind will lead to the same complaints about:

- sound quality
          - sound resolution/codec
          - picture quality
          - lack of bonus material
          - exclusion of tracks
          - packaging
          - price

In case they release any of these, return to the beginning of this post to read what will happen...
          You forgot to mention scarves and marbles... And the obligatory "Gilmour sucks so who cares?" from the Waters camp and so on and so forth until the thread is closed. Definitely joking here just in case it isn't clear...

In all seriousness though, I have a few questions of my own about some of the content that has been released.

1.) Remember That Night Bluray - Does anyone know when/where the easter egg video of David playing the cumbus was filmed? Is that Phil Manzanera on the couch? Who are the woman and man seen in the kitchen? I have it dated as 1992/1993 based on presence of Polly and David's hair style. Polly would not be present prior to 1992 so it is not from the Ruby Takes a Trip / Art of Tripping / La Carrera Panamericana sessions. The music he's playing was later used as the intro to Then I Close My Eyes.

2.) Meltdown DVD - When was the home rehearsal recorded? Was it before the Meltdown shows in June 2001, before the shows in Jan 2002 or somewhere in between? My intuition says it's from before the 2001 shows since David is explaining what the song is about and how to sing it with the correct emotion which likely wouldn't be a topic of conversation after a couple shows/rehearsals.

3.) Meltdown DVD - when did David record Shakespeare's Sonnet 18? We know where it was filmed (Astoria) but I can't find any other info.
          Last edited by MGoBlue1989; 04-15-2024, 05:05 PM.

Comment

I second that!

- sound quality
            - sound resolution/codec
            - picture quality
            - lack of bonus material
            - exclusion of tracks
            - packaging
            - price

Well, at least we are now deprived of the opportunity to discuss the release dates of Animals 5.1!!!

It was a long and painful topic ... =(​
            TBS14

Comment

I can give you an educated guess to the questions posted here. Im pretty certain that Gilmour's previous releases will remain as is and I don't expect them to ever be "revisited" and re-released with extra or "missing" material.

Comment

To be honest, after the re-edited PULSE and the beautiful DSOTM, I thought that it will makes David Gilmour wants to re-visit his own concert because he seems to really enjoy this work on The Later Years (in fact, I only thought about Gdansk). But, maybe he is happy with the existing release.

​​​​​

Comment

I have been dreaming about a David Gilmour box set for a long time.
                  The way I see it that's the only chance to officially see things like the 1978 CBS promos, the complete Hammersmith 1984 footage and updated editions of previously released shows like a Blu-ray edition of Meltdown 2001/02 and Gdansk 2006 (full set).
                  It could be quite a nice box set if done right.
                  ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by lvri View Post

God... Is there any chance to talk about something without having this kind of answers ? I didn't put a knife under the throat of David to obtain what I want ! I know he has the right to do whatever he wants... Is it a reason to not talk about this ?

I just share an opinion, ask the other members their thoughts, wishes, opinions... And this is a way to learn something about the official release too.

Well... Whatever...
                    ​​​​
                    Sorry! I didn't mean to offend you in any way.
                    Of course everybody here has the right to communicate his demands and wishes for future releases and/or upgrades.
                    And to be honest I am longing for most of the stuff I mentioned and would absolutely adore more better quality re-releases.
                    But I've been around in the Floyd communities for quite some time now and I've been noticing that any kind of official release leads to some kind of discontent.
                    And I don't think that's right.
                    So my post wasn't a pun in your direction but a pun towards how many in the community judge official releases.
                    I am not talking about scarves and marbles, I am not talking about one-sided DSOTM double picture discs...

Let's try to get my point clear with a Thought Experiment:
                    Most of you might know the KCCC from the 1990s and 2000s.
                    The King Crimson Collector's Club.
                    They released one concert every month, I think.
                    Soundboards aswell as "restored" Bootleg recordings.
                    Most of them incomplete and of mediocre sound quality.
                    And Crimheads could choose to buy it or not.
                    But there wasn't much discussion about that concept.
                    Most people back then went like "Wow, that's a nice idea..."

Imagine exactly that for Pink Floyd! The PFCC...
                    "The PFCC release for Febuary 2020 celebrates the 50th anniversary of one of the most mystic and most frequently bootlegged PF Shows ever: 1970-02-11 Birmingham. Sadly we didn't manage to bring up any better quality recording, but the well known bootleg was restored carfully by James Guthrie with an Equalizer...".

Instead we could be happy with what we have!
                    A lot of it is still for free, thanks to the release policy of the band...
                    Once they release Montreux 1970 it can't be shared here anymore...
                    Last edited by creamcheese; 04-15-2024, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Sorry! I didn't mean to offend you in any way.
                      No problem. Maybe I overreacted a bit

I'm not a big fan of bootlegs in fact. And not fan either to the kind of KC released you talk about (except when it's include in a box for example, like the Early Years).

Originally posted by Floydfan2410
                      I have been dreaming about a David Gilmour box set for a long time
                      Me too... That could be great. Maybe one day David will think about that.
                      Talking about that : I don't know what he thinks about his first 2 albums. I was a little bit surprise to hear an extract from About Face in the Pompei Bonus, so, I imagine that he has good memories about it ?

Comment

• rontoon
                        rontoon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        David would rather forget that his first 2 albums exist. He hasn't played a single song from either one on his last 2 tours and didn't even care to have Steven Wilson remix his first one - including a multichannel mix. The release of a Gilmour box set is highly unlikely.

rontoon : I heard that Steven Wilson, during his work on Rick's album, work on David's first one too. Is it real or pure speculation ?

Comment

rontoon : I heard that Steven Wilson, during his work on Rick's album, work on David's first one too. Is it real or pure speculation ?
                        Supposedly there was an audition mix made, but David rejected it. Unfortunately, as Ron said, he would rather forget about his first two albums, especially About Face. And that's a real shame, because some of his best work outside of PF is found on those first two albums, especially his debut.
                        "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

About Face is not a perfect album (especially because of it's very 80s sound). But Murder and Near the End are wonderful tracks.
                          Maybe the time of About Face are not good memories too for David ...

Well, maybe we won't have any boxes or remastered things from the past, but it seems that we will have new things soon

All of this made me want to watch David Gilmour's live again
                          ​​​​

Comment

About Face is not a perfect album (especially because of it's very 80s sound). But Murder and Near the End are wonderful tracks.
                            Maybe the time of About Face are not good memories too for David ...

Well, maybe we won't have any boxes or remastered things from the past, but it seems that we will have new things soon

All of this made me want to watch David Gilmour's live again
                            ​​​​
                            About Face is a great album with many great songs, I like all of the songs on it. Blue Light is a bit cringe I admit but it's much better live like the rest of the songs.
                            His debut album is amazing as well!
                            It would be amazing if he played a few songa from each of the first two albums if he tours again.
                            Last edited by Floydfan2410; 04-18-2024, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X