Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Gilmour official release and missing ones

Hello all,

I don't know of this subject was already discuss, but I have some questions about David Gilmour live which were filmed and released on DVD or BR... or not.

1984 tour : I don't think that any concert were officialy released at the time. I don't know if the concert(s) was (or were) filmed on 35mm or, like PULSE, betacam. Do we have any informations about this ?

Remember that night : Official DVD and BR were released (even if the BR is not visually speaking very good). This release is certainly the most complete live we have from David, with full concert and a lot of excellent bonus and behind the scenes. A complete remaster could be really appreciated (even only on BR, but why not on UHD).

Gdansk : A superb DVD box was released, with lots of bonus... But the concert is incomplete, and available only on SD... Any chance to see a BR or UHD remaster one day ? This concert really deserved a beautiful release !

Wroclaw : No release, except some songs in the bonus section of Pompei (with a sound problem on Dancing Right in Front of Me in 5.1). The concert was filmed in HD for sure. Will it stay in a vault for ever ?

Pompei : Beautiful release, even if they cut The Girl In The Yellow dress. The biggest disappointment are the Behind the Scenes which are far less interesting than the ones from Remember that Night (maybe because of the mood from the first part of the tour ?). Great to have lots of videos from different locations.

I have the impression that David Gilmour loves to offer great release and packaging. But, there's a lot of things that he seems to not want to be released (like the "would you buy a ticket to this show" from 1987).
    I understand his choice, but it seems to me that it could better to release them now he's still with us. Because one day, some will do that without any care....
    Anyway, what are your expectations about all of these released, and what are you waiting for ?

Thanks ;-)

Gilmour should release whatever the heck he wants to. It's his legacy!

Comment

A desire to have it all and in perfect presentation... such is the tragedy of completists. I've long stopped wishing for this and that and that other thing, is just a source of frustration.
      Be careful of what you wish. The Floyd and its members will only punish your desires by not releasing it, or by releasing an incomplete/questionable version of it.

Comment

The (incomplete) Hammersmith show was released on VHS for the '84 tour. I don't know how it was recorded, digital or film.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
          daemonspudguy commented
          Editing a comment
          It's an analog recording, and has all the trademarks. Interlaced video at a rate of 60fps, tape noise, questionable color, etc.

The Meltdown "unplugged" show had a standalone release on DVD as well.

Comment

The 'live in the studio' set for the first solo album... Was that released anywhere or just used as an EPK?

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
            Yes, I know that Rontoon.
            the purpose of my message is just to have some thoughts from others, or maybe informations about why he did this or that. And even if I respect David, and in fact, yes, he does what he wants with his legacy, it's not a reason to not discuss about the subject...

ruben77 : sorry, but it's not a desire to have everything and there is no frustration at all.

Fungusmungus : thanks for the info about 1984. And you're right, I completely forgot Meltdown. What a wonderful concert !

Comment

Originally posted by lvri View Post
              Yes, I know that Rontoon.
              the purpose of my message is just to have some thoughts from others, or maybe informations about why he did this or that.
              My response was to this statement:
              I understand his choice, but it seems to me that it could better to release them now he's still with us.

Comment

Wait, what's wrong with the Remember that Night Blu-ray, other than NTSC copies bizarrely having the first disc's data on the second disc?
                Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

No official release for Wrocław but the whole tv broadcast is available on YouTube in HD if that helps?

Comment

I have for a long time been hoping for an official (re)release of the complete Hammersmith Odeon 1984 concert. I feel that period is very underrated but I think the show is amazing and it would be nice to be able to see the whole thing one day. But I also accept it's probably never gonna happen.
                    I agree there's a lot of unreleased stuff in the vaults and I always enjoy these threads.
                    I remember when nobody believed that Delicate Sound of Thunder would ever get an official release on DVD/Blu-ray, and then we got a huge box that even included Venice 1989 and and beautifully restored complete Knebworth 1990 plus lots of other good stuff, so I guess anything can happen really. Time will tell.

Comment

My response was to this statement:
                      I understand his choice, but it seems to me that it could better to release them now he's still with us.
                      This is only a personnal point of vue that I wanted to share, not a request to have this or this.
                      Of course David Gilmour release whatever he wants. But one day, some will decide for him. And it's never a good thing I think.
                      ​​
                      Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
                      Wait, what's wrong with the Remember that Night Blu-ray, other than NTSC copies bizarrely having the first disc's data on the second disc?
                      The video quality is not really good for a BR.
                      Last edited by lvri; 04-13-2024, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lvri View Post

This is only a personnal point of vue that I wanted to share, not a request to have this or this.
                        Of course David Gilmour release whatever he wants. But one day, some will decide for him. And it's never a good thing I think.
                        ​​

The video quality is not really good for a BR.
                        Thats right. Its quite grainy at some points, but I think that's due to the cameras being used and I don't think there's much to do. Hopefully I'm wrong, it would be great to see a 4K version.
                        I Would also very much like to see a 4K version of Gilmour's concert at Pompeii!
                        ​​​would also be good to have an updated edition of Meltdown 2001 on Blu-ray/4K, it's one of my favourite live shows to watch!
                        ​​​​Again, let's wait and see what will happen in the future

Comment

I second that!

And no matter what is suggested for release here, an official release of that kind will lead to the same complaints about:

- sound quality
                          - sound resolution/codec
                          - picture quality
                          - lack of bonus material
                          - exclusion of tracks
                          - packaging
                          - price

And that kind of discussion thread will always lead to the same questions:

- (When) will they release The Wall 80/81 concert BR?
                          - (When) will they release The Wall 5.1/Athmos?
                          - (When) will they release RMCH 1973?
                          - (When) will they release Brighton Dome 1972?
                          - (When) will they release Animals SBD Tapes?

In case they release any of these, return to the beginning of this post to read what will happen...

Comment

Originally posted by creamcheese View Post

I second that!

And no matter what is suggested for release here, an official release of that kind will lead to the same complaints about:

- sound quality
                            - sound resolution/codec
                            - picture quality
                            - lack of bonus material
                            - exclusion of tracks
                            - packaging
                            - price

And that kind of discussion thread will always lead to the same questions:

- (When) will they release The Wall 80/81 concert BR?
                            - (When) will they release The Wall 5.1/Athmos?
                            - (When) will they release RMCH 1973?
                            - (When) will they release Brighton Dome 1972?
                            - (When) will they release Animals SBD Tapes?

In case they release any of these, return to the beginning of this post to read what will happen...
                            You're absolutely right, but I think that's the curse of being a Pink Floyd fan, we just can't get enough because we love it!
                            I know perfectly well that maybe 90% of what I wish for will never be released, and that's fine, but I still like to dream about it, so it's kind of a paradox.
                            I could make a long wish list (and I admit to have done that several times) and it will change nothing. But I always find it amusing to discuss what's out there and what "might" surface some day.

Best regards to all of you lovely fans

Comment

Working...
                            X