Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pink Floyd - 1994-10-20 Earls Court - 60-min Russian TV Broadcast Version - Information For Completists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Floyd - 1994-10-20 Earls Court - 60-min Russian TV Broadcast Version - Information For Completists

that's just nightmare for completists

everybody knows that David Gilmour likes to make at least small changes to each his releases

so for example :

David Gilmour Live In Gdansk has at least 5 versions - CD (21 tracks) + vinyl (22 tracks) + video (16 tracks) + 90-min theatrical (14 tracks) + 60-min digital (9 tracks)

David Gilmour Live At Pompeii - also 5 versions - CD (21 tracks) + vinyl (21 tracks with some alternate crossfades) + video (21 tracks with alternate track order) + 100-min theatrical (14 tracks) + 60-min digital (9 tracks)

etc.

they do the same with the later years releases of Pink Floyd

Delicate Sound Of Thunder has at least nine different versions - CD (14 tracks) + vinyl (13 tracks) + video (16 tracks) + alternate video (15 tracks) + 45-min digital video (8 tracks) + revised video (16 + 4 tracks) + 90-min digital revised video (14 tracks) - updated CD (22 tracks) + updated vinyl (22 tracks with some alternate crossfades)

and of course this also applies to legendary P.U.L.S.E.

I know 12 of its incarnations - including 9 of them is a video of the actual concert on October 20 1994 at Earls Court

let's stop at them - they are :

1 - 1994 - Original Live Broadcast - 22 tracks

2 - 1994 – Pay Per View Broadcast - 22 tracks - video and audio has minor differences

3 - 1995 - Original VHS Release - 22 tracks - video and audio has alternate minor differences

4 - 1995 - Special LaseDisc Release - 22 tracks - video and audio has same as VHS differences + alternate track order

5 - 2005 - Original DVD Release - 22 tracks - video has more differences and audio is remastered

6 - 2006 - 47-min Arte Concert Digital Broadcast - 10 tracks (TDSOTM performance excerpt only) - has some edits in final announcement and applause

7 - 2019 - TLY (or Revised DVD) Release - 22 tracks - video completely revised - audio is the same as 2005 remastered and has very minor differences (but Any Colour You Like audio is misplaced by not remastered version)

8 - 2020 - 90-min Digital Broadcast - 15 tracлs (TDSOTM + Sorrow + Keep Talking + High Hopes + WYWH + CN) video and audio is the same as TLY version but has some crossfade differences during encores

9 - 2020 - 60-min Russian TV Broadcast - 12 tracks (TDSOTM + Sorrow + Keep Talking) video and audio generally is the same as 90-min Digital Broadcast version but has many edits and differences in On The Run Money Sorrow And Keep Talking

60-min Russian TV Broadcast version is worth paying special attention to - this is the only version subject to significant editing of tracks :

On The Run - cut to 2:30 vs original 3:45 - has a lot of edits

Money - cut to 7:50 vs 8:35 - has some edits

Sorrow - cut to 9:45 vs 11:10 - has some edits

Keep Talking - cut to 7:30 vs 7:35 - has minor edits at the beginning and some edits in final applause and announcement

this 60-min version was broadcast June 14 2020 by Russia TV Channel "Kultura" - and later repeated October 9 2021 and again January 8 2022

https://vk.com/video-85393518_456243516

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-02.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	367040 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-09.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	367041

it's hard to tell who did the editing - but all the credits are there - including the Eagle Vision logo

the titles of the tracks were made by the Russians of course - they as usual mixed everything up - Breath became as Speak To Me - Speak To Me itself and Any Colour You Like remained without titles at all - Any Colour You Like title was placed before Brain Damage - Brain Damage before Sorrow and Eclipse before Keep Talking

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-04.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	367042 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-05.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	367043

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-06.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	367044

I have not heard any information about the broadcast of such 60-min version in any other countries

that's all folks

but - I don’t have this video - I only saw it during the broadcast

now stay with this

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

now stay with this

Thank you for your efforts!
    But without having the intention to seem inpolite I ask myself:
    Why should I?
    What'S the point in this?

Comment

I think this post is a good addendum to the great research done in years past by reuben77 on PULSE and DSOT. It's interesting that even yet another edit of this film has surfaced. So you are definitely right when you say that these kinds of things are hell for completionists.
      "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing your notes.

Now, I wonder if there's some sort of "official" guide to editing this show that the band/management gives to each broadcaster for a proper presentation of their product. Or if it is up to each station to cut and rearrange the video as they please to fit their slots.

Comment

Originally posted by ruben77 View Post
          Now, I wonder if there's some sort of "official" guide to editing this show that the band/management gives to each broadcaster for a proper presentation of their product. Or if it is up to each station to cut and rearrange the video as they please to fit their slots.
          I think the edit of this 60-min video was done officially - most likely by the Eagle Vision team - and was most likely done directly from the 90-min version or the same time

all original credits are preserved in the video - and only at the end it is indicated that the broadcast was prepared by the Russian TV channel

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-01.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	367108 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-07.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	367109

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-08.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	367110 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulse-Kultura-10.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	367111

all editorial changes are made professionally - there are no rough seams or inconsistencies - this is especially noticeable in On The Run where quite a lot was cut out - in Money it was easier to do this - a piece of instrumental solo was traditionally cut out there

I hope there should be a broadcast file in the cache somewhere on the web

it would be nice if someone would pull it out

here is the original name of this broadcast in Russian :

PINK FLOYD: P.U.L.S.E. Музыка альбома «Тёмная сторона Луны»​ = [PINK FLOYD: P.U.L.S.E. Music from the album "The Dark Side of the Moon"]

if you find something - let me know​ please

Comment

Working...
          X