This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pompeii studio footage, fake or not?

I keep hearing people say the Pompeii footage was faked, as the album was already done. Where are they getting this from? Wiki?

I got curious about this, after I heard Roger used that very footage to legally prove composition rights for "on the run", which wouldn't have happened if it was fake.

I dug out:

"the complete pink floyd, the ultimate reference"

By Glenn Povey, published 2016/2017

which is a great book & has some detailed notes on studio sessions, based on studio logs. Regarding the Pompei filming, it has this:

--------------------
    p203 Sun Oct 15 1972 setting up of Pompeii studio filming ( 3 hours) along with recordings

Mon Oct 16 1972 recording session, filming for pompei, lunchtime interviews too

Tues Oct 17 1972 recording session, final filming for pompei. And the recording notes match footage in the Pompei film: synthesized gtr, piano "us & them", gtr piano & bass on "brain damage"

------------------------

The recording sessions on DSOTM continued through until Feb 1973, so whoever said the album was done when they filmed that footage is incorrect.

And if you listen to the band playing, they are clearly still working out ideas, some of which didn't make it to the final mix.

I've always assumed it was contrived for the film.

Comment

The footage is of the Floyd recording additional tracks at Abbey Road Studios for the quad mix after the album was released. The On The Run sequence was created specifically for the film and never meant to be released. IIRC.

Comment

I don't think that's true, based on the evidence in my post. Check out the studio logs

And Roger talks about using that footage during his legal battles, in his DSOTM redux vid

Where is there any documentation of your statement?

Comment

Either he's lying about On The Run, or you're misremembering, because Roger's been credited on On The Run since the beginning. The story's never changed, that David was playing with the VCS3, and Roger came up with a better sequence of notes.

Comment

watch Roger's redux vid where he talks about the album.

I'm not privy to what legal capacity it was used in, but the fact that it was, indicates the footage wasn't "just for show".

Have you guys heard of Abbey Road? it's pretty legit recording studio

They have detailed logs on the sessions, with dates, details, that match exactly what we see in the Pompeii footage.

Even DG messing with the EMS hifli synth gtr effect

Comment

maybe anyone explain to me - what the problem is?

Comment

One thing that I find interesting is that the extra guitar Gilmour plays on Brain Damage in the Pompeii footage is not on the final mix of the album, but it does appear on the 1972 demo version of the record.
                Maybe the footage is really legit? Wouldn't it have been somewhat weird to include that part for a staged studio video, after they had decided to omit that part?
                I doubt the On the Run story though; as Bill has already stated, Roger has been credited on that track ever since the record was released, and if any legal proceedings were necessary during the recording, this would certainly have been mentioned in every documentary and interview about the making of Dark Side; yet it isn't. Clare Tory's demand for credit on GGITS was the only legal credit dispute related to Dark Side, and that dispute did not happen before decades later.

Comment

Originally posted by umma gumma View Post
                  Have you guys heard of Abbey Road? it's pretty legit recording studio
                  Brilliant insight.

It seems that you started this thread already convinced the studio footage from Live at Pompeii shows the band hard at work recording DSOTM, and you just keep reiterating the same points from your first post onwards.

What is the purpose of this thread?

Comment

The point is: there is reliable documentation stating the footage was indeed filmed while they were still working on the album, well before the album was finished.

And I haven't seen any information posted to the contrary yet, other than myths & hearsay that probably originated in the 70's?

Comment

I just had a look through Roger's redux vid, and he doesn't mention using the "on the run" footage in court. But he did mention it in a video I saw recently. Will look around for the source.

Comment

Here's my personal opinion: none of the parts from Brain Damage or Us and Them has shown up on any bootleg "full mix" or officially released "early mix". It also sounds like, to me at least, that the parts were recorded directly to Maben's tape recorder, as they're much louder than the actual album audio, which sounds like it was overlaid later.

As for On The Run, it is plausible that the footage for that song was real, as it was the last song to be recorded for the album, and was finalized in early 1973 from what I've been told.

While there were sessions in 1973, they were mostly mixing and mastering sessions. Pretty much the entire album was done by December 72, as evidenced by the early mix from the 2011 Immersion box set.

My verdict: the footage was staged.
                        "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

• ILuvHoney
                          ILuvHoney commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The part Gilmour plays on Brain Damage is at least similar to what he plays on the 1972 mix that appeared in the immersion box set. So isn't it possible that what he played on the video was actually a take for that part? At least I find it a bit odd that they would stage such a fake studio footage of Gilmour playing a part that they had already decided not to use AFTER that decision had been taken.

Staged....even though the Abbey Road studio logs say it was filmed in Oct '72?

According to the book: the Dec 19 1972 mix is the "early mix" on disc 6 of the immersion set. So that would explain some of the gtr parts

I believe "on the run" was done over several sessions, so what we see in the film is just Roger laying down a part for it.

Clare Torry didn't put vocals over over "great gig" until Jan 21, 1973. Here is the session sheet. They were still doing a lot of work on the album throughout January.

"on the run" got a final mix on Feb 9, 1973
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by umma gumma; 03-10-2024, 06:02 AM.

Comment

by the way, anyone who is a serious Pink Floyd fan should buy this book.

it's well written, well researched, and contains a lot of information that apparently, even seasoned fans are oblivious to. As evidenced in this thread.

I don't want to post too much as it's probably copyrighted, and honestly just buy the damn book & learn for yourself.

From the intro: "for the first time, all of Pink Floyd's Abbey Road studio sessions are now accurately documented inside"

what else can I say?

-edited: I'm not Glenn Povey & I'm not a shill. I'm amazed everyone is parroting this same unfounded info, and no one has bothered to look into it.
                          Last edited by umma gumma; 03-10-2024, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• Alanko
                            Alanko commented
                            Editing a comment
                            "what else can I say?"

Is 'nothing' an option?

The circle has closed
                          We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Working...
                          X