1973 Copyright Extension Dump…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GiveBirthToSmile View Post

is there any way to listen to this BBC Record Producer's Program?
    I believe there is a version on YouTube, if not, there may be a version available for download here on R&D.
    "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
      The only band recordings that I'm aware of are the open air recordings that they made from the tour. If they had a soundboard recording from the '77 tour, then Andy Jackson would have been trying to spruce it up for the Animals box they were attempting to assemble. Instead he was given a few of the open air recordings to mess with which were obviously not up to official release standards.
      Woah, that's a bombshell - if you mentioned it before, I missed it.
      One would assume an open-air recording by the band, even if short of the quality standard of a BBC multitrack, is still gonna be superior to any circulating audience tape. What a shame their standards will allow them to release a couple dozen audience tapes in 4 years, but not these.

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
        Woah, that's a bombshell - if you mentioned it before, I missed it.
        One would assume an open-air recording by the band, even if short of the quality standard of a BBC multitrack, is still gonna be superior to any circulating audience tape. What a shame their standards will allow them to release a couple dozen audience tapes in 4 years, but not these.
        Its been discussed here and on Y many times over.

Comment

The OAM recordings that Pink Floyd made in the US leg of the 1977 tour resemble the best audience recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post

You don't seem to have provided an alternative solution?
            I sort of just did. You find the far better quality source that is available and release that (like others have done) instead of dumping poor quality 80's bootlegs onto the market (and with no research behind it) and charging money for it. Or you can release it on YouTube for one day and pull it down (like others have done) which takes care of the copyright, instead of charging money for it and misleading people into thinking it's something important. The model they are using here is ridiculous and fan-unfriendly, and possibly vindictive.

Comment

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/...235862609/amp/

Comment

I don't know what Variety is talking about when they talk about off-key singing, but I do seem to be tone-deaf to some extent so maybe I just don't have the ear for that.
                Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
                  I don't know what Variety is talking about when they talk about off-key singing, but I do seem to be tone-deaf to some extent so maybe I just don't have the ear for that.
                  At least the article was somewhat accurate, though. But I would argue that the "sprawling box sets" were merely a carefully calculated vault-related copyright dump in and of themselves and it's arguable that they are "nearly complete". It's not as though they made an effort to use anything "new" that wasn't within easy reach or to find or use better sources for anything that was included. And the lousy mastering and cheap manufacturing speak for themselves. It's all one big "dump" in my opinion.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
                    daemonspudguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The remix of Obscured by Clouds would be good if they didn't decide to do loudness war-level volume mixing on it. I'm happy the Peel Sessions are now available on streaming, and the mixing on them is among the best in the box set. I'm also happy that the Wembley live performance was finally completed on official sources with the release of the Echoes performance, even if it's exclusive to the boxset. I still wonder why they didn't have James Guthrie do the remastering for that boxset and instead got Andy Jackson.

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
                  Neither Richard or Roger are great singers, and teetering on "pitchy" even at the best of times. David is generally in a different league as both singer and instrumentalist, but he had off nights too, and there could be one or two of those included in this dump. I suspect they're mostly talking about the other two guys, though. I know I've had a few "FFS!" moments with Richard in particular.

Comment

Working...
                  X