1973 Copyright Extension Dump…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keleven View Post

I don't see any reason to think it's correct that the alternative to these releases is seeing the crappy material clog up stores and streaming sites. That's not happening with the 1967-1971 material they didn't do copyright dumps with..
    Not so much the crappy boots but plenty of BBC material on Coda Records and No Kidding from that era.

Comment

But the effect of this is a lot of people who don't know any better thinking they're buying an official release from the band and then getting a crappy 27th generation audience tape. There have even been even articles about these releases from actual brand name media outlets that leave the impression that the band opened up their vault to release them.

I don't see any reason to think it's correct that the alternative to these releases is seeing the crappy material clog up stores and streaming sites. That's not happening with the 1967-1971 material they didn't do copyright dumps with. But even if that were a concern, the obvious alternative is to release actual quality material from the vaults that eliminates any reason for all but the most obsessed to be interested in the crappy audience tapes.
      You're assuming that there are professional quality recordings from these tours just waiting to be released.

Comment

Yeah. Quite famously, bands in the 70s almost never recorded their shows to try to keep some mystique around them. And if they did, they would basically have to be threatened by the record label with legal action to actually release it.
        Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
        Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
        Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
        Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

But the effect of this is a lot of people who don't know any better thinking they're buying an official release from the band and then getting a crappy 27th generation audience tape. There have even been even articles about these releases from actual brand name media outlets that leave the impression that the band opened up their vault to release them.

I don't see any reason to think it's correct that the alternative to these releases is seeing the crappy material clog up stores and streaming sites.
          I would be surprised if actual download sales of any individual title was much beyond the low hundreds (as a comparison, the new Peter Gabriel album is #1 in the U.K. album chart and sold a mere 1,420 digital downloads as part of the overall sales). These will be primarily consumed as streams.

And the point I was trying to make is that these recordings will be available either way - if not by PF as a temporary appearance then by some chancer’s bedroom label forever.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post

You're assuming that there are professional quality recordings from these tours just waiting to be released.
            Maybe there aren't. But I do find it a bit hard to believe that they've got nothin'. Every other band seems to find gigs for their super deluxe editions.

Comment

Maybe there aren't. But I do find it a bit hard to believe that they've got nothin'. Every other band seems to find gigs for their super deluxe editions.
              They don't have any pro-recordings from 1973. Why do you think they keep releasing the Wembley 1974 show?

Comment

They don't have any pro-recordings from 1973. Why do you think they keep releasing the Wembley 1974 show?
                Isn't there supposed to be a multitrack recording from Radio City Music Hall 1973? Or is that just a rumour?

Comment

the previous couple of years however!

Comment

You have more inside information than I do. But when they were promoting the first official release of the Wembley show, DG was quoted to the effect that they were able to release it because it was a multitrack recording (thus capable of being tweaked). The implication he left was that there might be any number of live recordings available that weren't up to release standards because they weren't multitrack. (Did we ever solve the mystery of why they were able to release a couple flawless Brighton '72 tracks on the Immersion set but nothing from the rest of the show?) Anyway, I can't imagine anyone complaining if any material short of DG's standards for studio perfection were to be released. As for whether any of that exists from '73, it doesn't matter much. The Wembley show is surely sufficient to satiate any normie demand for live Dark Side, while the geek contingent just wants literally anything from any year. We are not spoiled like, say, Grateful Dead fans... we are begging for scraps over here.

Comment

You have more inside information than I do. But when they were promoting the first official release of the Wembley show, DG was quoted to the effect that they were able to release it because it was a multitrack recording (thus capable of being tweaked). The implication he left was that there might be any number of live recordings available that weren't up to release standards because they weren't multitrack. (Did we ever solve the mystery of why they were able to release a couple flawless Brighton '72 tracks on the Immersion set but nothing from the rest of the show?) Anyway, I can't imagine anyone complaining if any material short of DG's standards for studio perfection were to be released. As for whether any of that exists from '73, it doesn't matter much. The Wembley show is surely sufficient to satiate any normie demand for live Dark Side, while the geek contingent just wants literally anything from any year. We are not spoiled like, say, Grateful Dead fans... we are begging for scraps over here.
                      I hate to break it to you, but the management does not give a shit about the geeks. I thought the general badness of the "remastering" job on The Early Years boxset was enough proof of that.

Comment

Isn't the story that the Brighton stuff had no vocals recorded?

For such a 'tech' band at the time they really didn't take advantage of it or maybe they were just poorly managed? How hard would it be to tape a few shows? They already had tape playback going on during shows. What's a few more mics and a recording deck...

Comment

Originally posted by Floydfan2410 View Post

Isn't there supposed to be a multitrack recording from Radio City Music Hall 1973? Or is that just a rumour?
                          This is definitely true. Not to mention the '77 boards that David doesn't want to put out because they're not multi track recordings, which means he can't fix the slightest little fuckin flub that no one would notice but himself. David has incredibly high standards and it is the biggest reason why we always get so little. Why do you think SW's Wet Dream remix came out but Gilmour's '78 Self Titled didn't? Standards.

Imagine if he has these freakishly high standards but his next album sounds like batshit. I would laugh like Roger when he farted during that one Wall demo.

Also, David just thinks his playing back then wasn't good anyways. In a BBC documentary, he recalls his debut record being "not so great", or something along those lines. He also recalls his playing on some studio records in Floyd of being lackluster or that he "could have done better". I love the guy's music and contributions but he really is too much of a perfectionist.

As for Roger's reasoning for not releasing The Wall 80-81 footage? I don't think we will ever know. He stated several times between 1987 and 2015 that he had plans on releasing it but just never followed through with it. I believe that he thinks his latest Wall tour is superior and throws the old one out of the water, but for people like myself who don't enjoy the newer one, we just get nothing out of the entire situation besides some short film/tape clips in low resolution. Just release it, man. Can you even imagine how many fans/80-81 attendees wanted to see it before they died? I think of Rolf. That guy was perhaps the biggest Wall fan that anybody could ever think of, and — at least to my knowledge — he never saw the 1999 Howard Lamden re-edit, or the 2009 edit by Roger to show his band camp. He passed 11 years ago and we still haven't seen it either. It's upsetting.
                          Last edited by NuffM; 12-12-2023, 02:28 PM.
                          - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post

This is definitely true. Not to mention the '77 boards that David doesn't want to put out because they're not multi track recordings, which means he can't fix the slightest little fuckin flub that no one would notice but himself. David has incredibly high standards and it is the biggest reason why we always get so little. Why do you think SW's Wet Dream remix came out but Gilmour's '78 Self Titled didn't? Standards.

Imagine if he has these freakishly high standards but his next album sounds like batshit. I would laugh like Roger when he farted during that one Wall demo.

Also, David just thinks his playing back then wasn't good anyways. In a BBC documentary, he recalls his debut record being "not so great", or something along those lines. He also recalls his playing on some studio records in Floyd of being lackluster or that he "could have done better". I love the guy's music and contributions but he really is too much of a perfectionist.

As for Roger's reasoning for not releasing The Wall 80-81 footage? I don't think we will ever know. He stated several times between 1987 and 2015 that he had plans on releasing it but just never followed through with it. I believe that he thinks his latest Wall tour is superior and throws the old one out of the water, but for people like myself who don't enjoy the newer one, we just get nothing out of the entire situation besides some short film/tape clips in low resolution. Just release it, man. Can you even imagine how many fans/80-81 attendees wanted to see it before they died? I think of Rolf. That guy was perhaps the biggest Wall fan that anybody could ever think of, and — at least to my knowledge — he never saw the 1999 Howard Lamden re-edit, or the 2009 edit by Roger to show his band camp. He passed 11 years ago and we still haven't seen it either. It's upsetting.
                            The multitrack thing really annoys me. I genuinely don't understand why Dave's so much of a perfectionist that he goes and tries to "correct" flubs in live recordings. My best guess is that he has some form of OCD or another disorder and it's one of his compulsive actions that even he doesn't understand, but man it's still annoying. As for Roger and The Wall, I'm starting to wonder if the film is even in a releasable state anymore. Why he didn't release it years ago, I have no idea.

Comment

You'd think we'll get drip fed this stuff if the sale ever goes though.

They both seem happy to release live solo stuff now in their later career, I mean we got plenty from the OAI tour.

I get the feeling that David doesn't like who he was during the bands big times and doesn't want to revisit it. The less he has to do with it the better...

​​​​​​Would the bands Animals tapes be that much better than what we have now? Or would we just have to pay £50 for some packaging? I listened to the Best of North American Tour the other day its great!

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post

... My best guess is that he has some form of OCD or another disorder ...
                                Ha ha, I really like this analysis!
                                I think he didn’t understand -or has forgotten- what fans liked in their music, what they came for in their concerts. He should be asked this simple question: why do all these lunatics insist on digging up, dusting off, compulsively collecting and, above all, LISTENING to every single recording available, no matter how rotten it may be?
                                We know the answer to that question. We should invite him here, we would know how to explain... 😉

Comment

Working...
                                X