Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1973 Copyright Extension Dump…

…has arrived.

Anything interesting or just a scattergun selection of badly sourced recordings?

Comment

Edit: Never mind, I copied last years.
      Last edited by MrFender; 12-07-2023, 10:23 PM.
      What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
      Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

The full list, I think:
        • Live At Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, USA, 6 March 1973
        • Live At Chicago International Amphitheatre, USA, 7 March 1973
        • Live At The University of Cincinnati, USA, 8 March 1973
        • Live At Kent State University, Ohio, USA, 10 March 1973
        • Live At Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada, 11 March 1973
        • Live At Boston Music Hall, USA, 14 March 1973
        • Live At Radio City Music Hall, New York, USA, 17 March 1973
        • Live At Earls Court, London, UK, 18 May 1973
        • Live At Earls Court, London, UK, 19 May 1973​
        • Live At Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, USA, 17 June 1973
        • Live At Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, USA, 18 June 1973
        • Live At Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, USA, 20 June 1973
        • Live At Sportatorium, Hollywood, USA, 28 June 1973
        • Live At Tampa Stadium, USA, 29 June 1973
        • Live At Munich Olympiahalle, Germany, 12 October 1973
        • Live At Vienna Stadthalle, Austria, 13 October 1973​
        • Live At The Rainbow Theatre, Early Show, London, UK, 4 November 1973
        • Live At The Rainbow Theatre, Late Show, London, UK, 4 November 1973
        Nearly all have the same setlist (Obscured By Clouds / When You’re In / Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun / Careful With That Axe, Eugene / Echoes / Dark Side Of The Moon / One Of These Days) with Childhood’s End instead of Set The Controls for the first three dates.

Kent State is just the Dark Side portion.

Rainbow shows are Dark Side followed by Obscured By Clouds and When You’re In
        Last edited by A Prick Like You; 12-08-2023, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Looks like this time, they got almost every circulating 1973 recording, missing only 1973-01-13 Roland Petit, the Detroit 1973-03-05 fragment, 1973-06-22 Buffalo, and 1973-06-24 Blossom Music Center.

I'm not surprised they skipped 1973-03-05 since it's so short, 1973-06-24 since the quality is so poor, and 1973-01-13 since it's hard to keep track of which performances used playback and which were live. The only surprise is 1973-06-22 Buffalo, which wouldn't be the worst-sounding show of the bunch if it had been included.

Comment

Can’t believe they’re not doing this for other bands like Led Zep.

Comment

I still don’t quite understand the point of doing this if they didn’t plan on releasing anything properly from the eras, but then I am far from a copyright lawyer!

Comment

• gorilla1973
                gorilla1973 commented
                Editing a comment
                They're doing this so that nobody gets the chance to sell them as live albums, as they'd enter the public domain the EU if they didn't do this. Expect this next year as well.

To avoid that somebody else does it...

Best
              Skinny
              FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
              Youtube
              Apple Podcast
              Amazon Music
              Spotify
              Deezer
              Facebook

Comment

All this is, is just preventing the bootlegs from entering into the EU public domain. Pure GREED. Another thing to point out is most of these bootlegs are OLD copies downloaded from Yeeshkul around 2008 or so. I wonder who downloaded them... 😂

Just another embarrassing Pink Floyd management moment.

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla1973 View Post
                  All this is, is just preventing the bootlegs from entering into the EU public domain. Pure GREED. Another thing to point out is most of these bootlegs are OLD copies downloaded from Yeeshkul around 2008 or so. I wonder who downloaded them... 😂

Just another embarrassing Pink Floyd management moment.
                  I wouldn’t call it greedy to protect your work from an influx of inferior product where someone else profits and you do not.

Comment

• aybesea
                    aybesea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Except these are pretty "inferior products". IMO it's a cash grab.

I heard that Matt (The Doctor) supplied them with all the 1973 audio for these.

Comment

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post
                    I wouldn’t call it greedy to protect your work from an influx of inferior product where someone else profits and you do not.
                    After they spent the last few decades insisting they had nothing else in the vault good enough to release because the quality was 0.001% shy of their standards for perfection, I would think the better way to protect their work from an influx of inferior product is NOT to give the inferior product official branding, and find some superior product in the vault to release instead

Comment

Their 'work' was just playing another night on the road. The bigger task would be recording the gigs covertly and then taking whatever steps to process and circulate the recordings.

It rankles slightly that they aren't bothering to use the best sources or do anything else to improve upon what we already have.

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post

After they spent the last few decades insisting they had nothing else in the vault good enough to release because the quality was 0.001% shy of their standards for perfection, I would think the better way to protect their work from an influx of inferior product is NOT to give the inferior product official branding, and find some superior product in the vault to release instead
                        If they didn’t do this, it would be released under the Pink Floyd name regardless, but by someone else.

This way, the releases are on streaming sites for a month or two (the 1972 batch is already gone), then that’s it done with.

The alternative of not issuing these is a bunch of CDs clogging up the Pink Floyd section of any store or on streaming sites with this substandard material on it, all totally outside the control of the band.
                        Last edited by A Prick Like You; 12-09-2023, 10:31 PM.

Comment

If they didn’t do this, it would be released under the Pink Floyd name regardless, but by someone else.

This way, the releases are on streaming sites for a month or two (the 1972 batch is already gone), then that’s it done with.

The alternative of not issuing these is a bunch of CDs clogging up the Pink Floyd section of any store or on streaming sites with this substandard material on it, all totally outside the control of the band.
                          But the effect of this is a lot of people who don't know any better thinking they're buying an official release from the band and then getting a crappy 27th generation audience tape. There have even been even articles about these releases from actual brand name media outlets that leave the impression that the band opened up their vault to release them.

I don't see any reason to think it's correct that the alternative to these releases is seeing the crappy material clog up stores and streaming sites. That's not happening with the 1967-1971 material they didn't do copyright dumps with. But even if that were a concern, the obvious alternative is to release actual quality material from the vaults that eliminates any reason for all but the most obsessed to be interested in the crappy audience tapes.

Comment

Working...
                          X