David Gilmour synth effect, circa 1972

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Gilmour synth effect, circa 1972

One thing that has bugged me since I first got a VHS copy of Pompeii 20+ years ago... what is the weird synth effect David is seen using in the studio footage?

https://youtu.be/0hz9c0T6lZY?si=kYuHtzOvj0f0fxyS

From 3:50 onwards. He is using his Bill Lewis guitar with no obvious outboard/hexaphonic pickup. Somehow his guitar is providing an accurate control voltage to two oscillators, tuned a fifth apart. There is a slowly sweeping resonant filter in the signal as well. This seems quite advanced tech for 1972; especially using a regular guitar with no special pickup or other circuitry.

I don't hear this effect on the DSOTM album, any subsequent album or live show. It could just be the VCS-3 synth(s) in action, but passive guitars put out small voltages and I've never read or heard of a VCS-3 being driven from a guitar. Bands like Hawkwind and King Crimson (check out Groon on the album Earthbound) processed audio with VCS-3 synths downstream (after the amps, speakers etc) but didn't directly control the oscillators with control voltages from regular instruments.

Any ideas?

Probably David messing with the feedback settings on his Univibe.

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla1973 View Post
      Probably David messing with the feedback settings on his Univibe.
      A univibe doesn't convert guitar signal into a pure waveform and add any harmony or different pitch to it. They can provide a bit of basic pitch shifting, but it is similar to the tremolo sound of old Magnatone amps rather than a second note consistently tracking at a fixed pitch above the reference note.

Comment

Alanko I often thought the same thing, that they were using EMS synths like the VCS3 and or the Synthi A like how Roxy Music would do live with Phil Manzanera. I also think it may be the Synthi Hi-Fli that David had onstage during 72-73. I know there have been potential rumors that the infamous warble sound effect for the solo on Any Colour was the Hi-Fli but I am not sure because I think it’s confirmed to be a Univibe (?). I’ve done a bunch of research on this but various websites and books can be conflicting.
        Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenStrat View Post
          Alanko I often thought the same thing, that they were using EMS synths like the VCS3 and or the Synthi A like how Roxy Music would do live with Phil Manzanera. I also think it may be the Synthi Hi-Fli that David had onstage during 72-73. I know there have been potential rumors that the infamous warble sound effect for the solo on Any Colour was the Hi-Fli but I am not sure because I think it’s confirmed to be a Univibe (?). I’ve done a bunch of research on this but various websites and books can be conflicting.
          I think ACYL is the Hi-Fli. It has a bit too much envelope shaping and resonance to be a univibe, to my ears. More vowel-like than the soft 'ying ying' of a univibe. I used to think it was a dimed Leslie cabinet but, even under duress, they have a specific growl to them.

The Hi-Fli was a multi effects processor almost before the idea had been dreamt up. I think the effects in it derive from routing the guitar signal through fuzz circuits, putting in preset EQ curves, synth like filter circuits and basic analog sub-octave effects. I don't think there was an option to convert incoming guitar signal to a CV, rather just sculpting of the basic guitar signal itself.

Pink Floyd and/or Abbey Road could have been given a prototype guitar-to-CV expansion module for a VCS-3, I suppose. The Bill Lewis guitar maybe has quite hot pickups as well, giving enough signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanko View Post

I think ACYL is the Hi-Fli. It has a bit too much envelope shaping and resonance to be a univibe, to my ears. More vowel-like than the soft 'ying ying' of a univibe. I used to think it was a dimed Leslie cabinet but, even under duress, they have a specific growl to them.

The Hi-Fli was a multi effects processor almost before the idea had been dreamt up. I think the effects in it derive from routing the guitar signal through fuzz circuits, putting in preset EQ curves, synth like filter circuits and basic analog sub-octave effects. I don't think there was an option to convert incoming guitar signal to a CV, rather just sculpting of the basic guitar signal itself.

Pink Floyd and/or Abbey Road could have been given a prototype guitar-to-CV expansion module for a VCS-3, I suppose. The Bill Lewis guitar maybe has quite hot pickups as well, giving enough signal.
            Totally agree, I’ve heard the ACYL rumors using the Hi-Fli. I know live around ‘72 Gilmour used the Leslie/Yamaha live during the rhythm section and later on in the 70’s during the big solo section he overdrove it.

I believe you’re correct re: the Hi-Fli’s circuitry and flow. That is true, maybe they just had access to prototype stuffs or maybe just routed the signal out from the Hi-Fli via DI or something and the other output went through the amp. Hmm…. All interesting points!
            Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

This short clip shows the sounds you can't by processing guitar audio with a VCS-3. I can get similar sounds by routing a guitar into my Moog Rogue synth, but it is less fun than using a joystick!

https://youtube.com/shorts/Yhazpkihz...fP5Q-dqM8vPyVS

Comment

Hi all
                I think that sound doesn't come from the hi-fli at all... but from the VCS3 or the Sinthy AKS... if you notice in the video in the background you can see an EMS Pitch-to-Voltage Converter which is used precisely to convert the sound of a guitar into a signal to control the synths...​

hi-fli... it's just a series of guitar effects... pre, phaser, distortion, modulation... but definitely not that sound you hear in the video​

Comment

Originally posted by zardoz View Post
                  Hi all
                  I think that sound doesn't come from the hi-fli at all... but from the VCS3 or the Sinthy AKS... if you notice in the video in the background you can see an EMS Pitch-to-Voltage Converter which is used precisely to convert the sound of a guitar into a signal to control the synths...​​
                  Well-spotted.

Compare this screen grab from the video, looking at the knob layout
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	312
Size:	607.4 KB
ID:	363182

with the picture on this site: https://www.oldtech.com/synth/EMSPtoV2.html

I'm sold on this being it.
                  Last edited by Son of Nothing; 12-19-2023, 09:45 AM. Reason: I can't work the attachments thing on this site correctly, it seems

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post
                    Well-spotted.

Compare this screen grab from the video, looking at the knob layout
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	312
Size:	607.4 KB
ID:	363182

with the picture on this site: https://www.oldtech.com/synth/EMSPtoV2.html

I'm sold on this being it.
                    Thank you both! The answer was there in the video all along.

Comment

Nice sleuthing!

I see the unit itself has a built in oscillator & envelope follower, so he may not even be using it with a VCS3.

Comment

Working...
                      X