Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the 70s, music by Pink Floyd was also used excessively on television.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Run Like Hell" plays over the opening credits of this Italian TV show - it's based on 'The Mad House' by Richard Matheson. Produced by state TV RAI, I seriously doubt they went through the right channels and just went and ahead used it because it sounded good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5255298/

and, as already mentioned, quite a few Kung Fu flicks from the 70s and 80s - a lawless time when copyright really didn't mean that much in certain countries of the world
    Last edited by DiegoFermoli; 05-21-2024, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Atagong View Post

I also once published a list of Kung Fu movies with Pink Floyd music, there are quite a few (and probably mostly without asking the band).
      https://atagong.com/iggy/archives/20...uloid.html#bos
      "A decade before The Big Boss (1983 cut) another kung fu movie had found out about the martial strength of Pink Floyd."

That made me chuckle! Fascinating read, thanks for that.

Comment

yeah I remember this Bruce Lee movie which used parts from Obscured By Clouds, Time, etc... and it sounds so cool; but the original soundtrack is only the one available on the Criterion box set.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrester View Post
          Pink Floyd music was certainly used a fair amount in a BBC children's series called The Tyrant King. The music was always in little clips. I watched every episode, hoping to catch some unreleased material. I never did find any audio the seemed worthy of hearing more than once. If you do decide to watch the series, try to guess the ending. I called it after the first episode.

Looks like it is out of print. You didn't miss much. I did appreciate that they went back to the original color master prints when transferring to DVD. (It was broadcast in black & white.)
          Pink Floyd allowed their music to be used in quite a lot of BBC productions, at least when made in-house, you get things like "Money" cropping up on property shows even now. The received wisdom was that they allowed the BBC fairly wide usage of their music since they were grateful for the early exposure the BBC and its DJ John Peel gave them, especially on radio with the Paris Theatre concert recordings/Mothers' Club Birmingham tapes, documentary features here and there about their shows and technology/lights, the Moon landing backing music (Moonhead) gig, and they also had a special relationship with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop alumni like Delia Derbyshire e.g. when they were invited to visit the RW premises in Windmill Road.

Comment

There was an episode of WKRP In Cincinnati where the DJ is playing Shine On You Crazy Diamond, but for video release they had to omit the Floyd because of the cost of rights licensing.

Comment

Might be a little late to the party but I wanted to throw my hat in the ring, mostly because I love the film and the added soundtrack choice is two of my favorite types of media coming together.

Huo Xing Ren/Mars Men/Le Hommes D'une Autre Planete/Gli Uomini Di Marte (1976) [Dir. Chen Hung-Min]
            A Cultural Hodge-podge of Japan, Thailand, and Taiwan that in of itself is legally dubious as to who knows the giant robot character in the film. Highly recommended cinema viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0O57JoRVTs
            Starts at 4:00-5:10 but the track is used repeatedly throughout the film (along with 3 other songs)

It seems to have snuck by distributors, as Time's beginning section is displayed repeatedly through-out the French & Italian dubs as well as making it into the unreleased English audio.

Comment

Working...
            X