No announcement yet.

Best Version of Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know where I can find the JFE Quad: Live at Pompeii ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pstauts View Post
      Does anyone know where I can find the JFE Quad: Live at Pompeii ?
      https://www.discogs.com/ru/release/6...-Quadraphonic-

https://www.discogs.com/ru/release/1...ive-At-Pompeii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL0TNGfcge4​
      Last edited by svaerige; 06-22-2024, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I would recommend getting the Live at Pompeii 4K upconversion. It comes with 5 different audio options.
        You can compare and make up your own mind.
        1. Stereo - 1986 UK VHS Neonknight
        2. Mono - 1972 Mix VHS jmr
        3. Quad - 35mm film jimfisheye
        4. Stereo 2016 Mix BD Prof Stoned
        5. 5.1 2016 Mix BD Andy Jackson

Comment

I'd say it's a battle between Neonknight's and Prof Stoned's remaster of the official Early Years release. I like the Prof Stoned remaster, it sounds absolutely yummy

But it is a remaster, so, if you enjoy the rawness sound of old analogue tapes (I know I do too), go with Neonknight's sources.
          If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

I would just like to point out these are not discrete hi-res versions of JFE's work. They are on CD's so they are only stereo. I have not checked out the Sigma release as it can only be inferior to the original files and probably a mixdown to stereo. The ART-72 release in your second link has the front and back channels separate and you would have to sync and reconstruct it all yourself, in CD quality too. I have that release and if I remember right it's still inferior.
            Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Slightly hipster response, but how good can the Pompeii material be tweaked? I had an older VHS copy. The French studio tracks like Careful and Set the Controls were brittle and buzzy sounding. The bits of genuine audio from Pompeii itself sounded fuller and richer. Do you go down the gonzo route of mixing it virtually mono and levelling it aggressively, or go down the route taken for the Early Years and smear it across the stereo image, make it even more scooped and brittle (fidelity, to faded boomer ears), trowel on noise reduction...

Comment

Originally posted by Alanko View Post
                Do you go down the gonzo route of mixing it virtually mono and levelling it aggressively, or go down the route taken for the Early Years and smear it across the stereo image,
                You’d need access to the multitracks to do that anyway, lest you indulge in AI separation or worse, false stereo (sample delay) a la Relics.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdy View Post

You’d need access to the multitracks to do that anyway, lest you indulge in AI separation or worse, false stereo (sample delay) a la Relics.
                  To my ears, the Early Years version of Pompeii was processed with something like iZotope's 'Ozone' plugin to give it an enhanced stereo image. I think Pompeii was recorded on four track, or maybe eight track tape? Not many opportunities to isolate specific instruments, and it didn't sound like they really tried to do this on the Earky Years. Things like cymbal taps seem to be scattered across a couple of points in the stereo image with short delays between each 'hit', which made me think somebody had fun with plugins.

Comment

IIRC, Pompeii was in the hands of James Guthrie who handed it off in some form to Andy Jackson for The Early Years. I should ask him about it someday.

Comment

Hello!
                      First post on R&D since it's creation, I was on Yeeshkul before, glad to see adventure is going on!

I didn't grab the info at the time, but the Pinkfloyd4k video upgrade contains the different mono/stereo best sources, is that right? And probably best video of course

Comment

Working...
                      X