Best Version of Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Version of Pompeii

Whats the best sounding version of Pompeii, Audio wise?
    that was pretty avant-garde, wasn't it?

I think everybody is going to suggest the efforts by jimfisheye — they're probably very well right.
    Last edited by NuffM; 10-20-2023, 03:12 AM.
    - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Prof Stoned’s release is outstanding and IMHO the best …

Comment

http://www.profstoned.com/2020/05/pi...toned.html?m=1

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post
          I tbink everybody is going to suggest the efforts by jimfisheye — they're probably very well right.
          Which is Jim's (since I don't have anything labeled that way)? I always thought the NK VHS transfer was the preferred version. Anyway, I have soooo many Pompeii's at this point.
          Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by PFC67 View Post
            Prof Stoned’s release is outstanding and IMHO the best …
            The thing about the Prof's release is that there are 4 or 5 amazing audio options! Pretty much definitive.

Comment

as for me the best version of Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii is 4.0 mix from 35 mm cinemascope film circulated on web

Comment

• Pstauts
                Pstauts commented
                Editing a comment
                Anyone know where I can find this?

Originally posted by svaerige View Post
              as for me the best version of Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii is 4.0 mix from 35 mm cinemascope film circulated on web
              I was about to say the same thing. I have it on Blu-ray, and its my go to version!
              but I really need to listen to the Prof Stoned version 🙂

Comment

My 1986 VHS transfer is best for the stereo version. Plenty of people from the Y era have a copy. It's not available anywhere on the internet to the best of my knowledge.

Somebody should buy one and play it on a better S-VHS than mine, capture it at 24/96 on a decent machine / device and speed correct it, and then there will be a new best copy.

Here's one on eBay UK for £5.49 and there's several more available at a similar price. Make sure that the cover matches and that the small print on the back says 1986. They made an analogue copy that year.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175957708083?hash=item28f7e58d33:g:B~sAAOSwUZNlEYb o&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwBX1VPxmw3qx4beYLEU%2BZL0 mx obbs5yW4mj6yKCaROCKORZR%2B3zNa1%2Ffi0xPRA4V5MJmFrc emqc0L6rixzYsPBc6YIfjvi8Sj0tFCElg25zP9mxNo4ZiAD7T1 MhpY1WjKI28Cs7UhMJUcWUcE9L4kzfgOjxmPtdb3v8VJOajR3M FBpdhddz6vO6Kn%2BbK1Y3mn85OtKi62XwUWRuERTyiKmPSqJ0 NKSXXKMan796rcNZRbJlzr9Ba4Mp4OWWAKQnQvQ%3D%3D%7Ctk p%3ABk9SR_bP1I_pYg

Comment

• vince666
                  vince666 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't know If you remember about a transfer of a few years ago I probably had sent you, made from my own VHS tape (same as yours) on a really good JVC S-VHS deck which I used just as an audio recorder/player, since it was particularly good on audio, with record level knobs and level meters (and which unfortunately doesn't work anymore at now).
                  Did you ever happen to compare it with yours? (I didn't)
                  What I remember is that on my VHS/transfer there are a few small clicks here and there to remove but, otherwise, it sounded just nicely while I was transferring it.

Seems a good a place as any to ask; Andy Mabbett’s book in Pink Floyd from 1994 says that there are different versions of the opening keyboard / electronic drone piece. Is this true, and on which releases can each be found?

Comment

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post
                Seems a good a place as any to ask; Andy Mabbett’s book in Pink Floyd from 1994 says that there are different versions of the opening keyboard / electronic drone piece. Is this true, and on which releases can each be found?
                You may be referencing the 1972 Original Cut mono version, which is fantastic as well. The opening on the mono version is different in that it's more spaced out and there's no heartbeat. There's no vocal reverb in Echoes and before Echoes Part II there's some creepy whispering. I quite like the mono source. If I had to rank each, they would be this.

1974 Theatrical Cut (Quad & Stereo):

JFE Quad:
                “Live at Pompeii”- (35mm Cinemascope 4-track magnetic striped print>custom-built playback machine>Digidesign 192 I/O>wav@24bit/192/khz>ProtoolsHD 9 (Pre-mastering and mastering)>wav@24bit/192/khz>Izotope SRC>wav@24bit/96/khz>flac@24bit/96/khz) [63:54] flac SUP- (JFE) (4.0 Quad from 35mm print / two versions from the blu-ray release, one is the raw sound and the other is a conserviative remastering / quad / Vpro)

NK Stereo:

“Live at Pompeii”- (1986 UK PAL VHS (Channel 5 CFV 05182)>JVC S-VHS HR-S5955>Focusrite Saffire Pro 14>Reaper v4.76>wav@24bit/96kHz>ClickRepair>Reaper v4.76>flac@24bit/96kHz) [62:14] flac SUP/SUP+ (Neonknight) (best sounding version / only the music from the original release / stereo / Vpro)

1972 Original Cut (Mono):

“Japanese Betamax - Toei Video TE-M507”-
                (Japanese Betamax (Toei Video TE-M507)>Sony EDV-9000>PC>wav@24/96>flac@24/96) [62:08] flac SUP/SUP+ (raw rip / missing the first note of CwtAE, ending wind noise cuts off early, missing the longer Echoes II intro / mono / Vpro)

The above mono mix is best (IMO) when supplementing in those missing bits referenced above from the:

“UK Betamax - Spectrum Video 790 182 4”- (UK Betamax (Spectrum Video 790 182 4)>Sony SL-200ME MKIII>PC>wav@24/96>flac@24/96) [65:34] flac SUP-/SUP (raw rip / complete / speed corrected (also have the non-speed corrected source that clocks in at 62:53 / mono / Vpro)

I think the Prof Stoned version is very good but I prefer the rips and like Echoes bookending the whole film, just a personal preference.
                Last edited by buffalofloyd; 10-22-2023, 02:06 PM.
                Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Thank you very much for your ranking! The Japan Betamax Version is new to me! Was it shared on Y ?

Comment

Originally posted by SamSiamC View Post
                    Thank you very much for your ranking! The Japan Betamax Version is new to me! Was it shared on Y ?
                    The only one that would have been shared on Y!, if I remember correctly, would be NK's 1986 UK PAL VHS (Channel 5 CFV 05182)​ version. The others, as well as other versions, I received from very nice and helpful individuals of Y! who did the rips and work to them themselves.

Comment

Yeah, I only know these, too. I really enjoy JFEs work on the mono UK VHS. Is the Japan Betamax much different?

Comment

Originally posted by SamSiamC View Post
                        Yeah, I only know these, too. I really enjoy JFEs work on the mono UK VHS. Is the Japan Betamax much different?
                        Not sure which UK VHS Jim worked on. Was that also the NK sourced 1981 UK PAL VHS (Spectrum - PolyGram PAL VHS tape 7901822​)? I don't see Jim mentioned in the notes. If so, I do prefer the Japanese Betamax but the differences are not so huge you wouldn't be happy with the UK VHS source. The differences could also be down to the transfer equipment as well. I also have a Japanese VHS mono source and I think it's a bit tinny sounding and a little saturated compared to the Betamax and UK VHS.

As I noted above as well, all the Japanese sources I have are missing the small bits I noted and need to be patched to be as complete as the UK VHS source. I am not entirely sure why this is but I'd be curious if somebody knew the answer to this.

Comment

• jmr
                          jmr commented
                          Editing a comment
                          buffalofloyd, I'm curious to know if you've heard my transfer of the Toei Japanese VHS from a few years ago. Both the Japanese VHS and Beta are excessively bright and shrill compared to the UK VHS, but I felt it was the VHS version that held up the best after an eq treatment to tame the high end. My restored version also patches in the gaps that were covered by neonknight's UK VHS and I think you'd be satisfied with how seamless they were.
                      Working...
                      X