Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Sinead O'Connor

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/26/52967...NO9WJx7bYopgeM

Very sad. She lived in Wilmette very close to me. She struggled with mental health issues for decades and went missing for several days a few years back.

She hated working with Roger in Berlin and regretted doing it. Roger was furious that she did not stay after the audience had left the Postdamer Platz. Roger had asked the guests to stay after the audience left to re-film some parts. All the artists agreed, except Sinead O'Connor. She messed up the 2nd verse of Mother so what you see on the official DVD was what Sinead O'Connor recorded the night befiore during the dress rehearsals.

RIP. May her memory be a blessing. ❤​

A very unique voice and person. A Dublin website said she was probably the most "punk" singer ever. She never changed her attitude or stance on something depending on how the winds of taste or politics blew.
    What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

She worked with Rick on Broken China too.
      - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

RIP. Those first couple of LP’s stand up well.
        Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

I thought what happened was that the power cut off again during Mother, at least that's what I've always heard. Also, I'm not sure she liked working with, well, anyone.
          Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
          Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
          Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
          Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
            I thought what happened was that the power cut off again during Mother, at least that's what I've always heard. Also, I'm not sure she liked working with, well, anyone.
            The power did cut out during Mother. That's why Roger asked them to stay after the show to perform it again for the official release. Sinead refused and left so they had to use her performance from the dress rehearsal from the previous night.

She worked just fine with others, Rick for example. No need to throw any shade over her memory.

Comment

I'm not saying that having difficulties working with others is inherently bad or a flaw. I also have problems working with others quite often.
              Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
              Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
              Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
              Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post
                She worked with Rick on Broken China too.
                One of my favorite tracks ever, by anyone. Beautifully written song, and her voice was absolutely perfect for it.

On the Berlin thing, her version of Mother is one of the only things I liked in that concert. Crazy that what was used was just a rehearsal. She really gave a raw, powerful performance. Not to totally dump on the Berlin thing otherwise. I liked what Garth Hudson did as well, and I can appreciate it as a special event / celebration.

Comment

i remember her opinion of the show was (paraphrasing, perhaps), "complete masturbation!" i've often wondered if she specifically meant the theatrics of the berlin performance, or the source material itself? if she didn't care for the material, then why agree to participate at all? so maybe it was just the over-the-top spectacle, and the scale of it all, that was such a turn off? i wasn't as big a fan as other friends of mine, but she was definitely a strong-willed person (so i can see how that might have caused discomfort in the moment, as well).

as someone who's struggled with the general crappiness of life, myself, she fought her way out of a difficult childhood (her tumultuous relationship with her own mother was partly a catalyst for the infamous SNL incident), and continued to fight all through adulthood, through to the end. i think she's earned some measure of peace... or at least the end to the struggle. and i respect the hell out of her talent, and her determination to keep doing her version of the right thing. RIP, at the last...
                  Last edited by geoffers; 07-28-2023, 07:09 AM.
                  ...Raving and Drooling I fell on my Arse with a Squelch...

Comment

Scathing comments from Morrissey on his blog about the music industry and their "tributes":

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/mes...ibextid=Zxz2cZ

Welcome to The Machine.
                    Last edited by MrFender; 07-28-2023, 11:33 AM.
                    What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post
                      Scathing comments from Morrissey on his blog about the music industry and their "tributes":

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/mes...ibextid=Zxz2cZ

Welcome to The Machine.
                      Every job has its downsides, difficulties, hardships and unfairness. Morrisey never stops whining about his.

Comment

Originally posted by sb33334 View Post

Every job has its downsides, difficulties, hardships and unfairness. Morrisey never stops whining about his.
                        This isnt about him.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post

This isnt about him.
                          It really is and its always about him.

Comment

Originally posted by sb33334 View Post

It really is and its always about him.
                            Not a big fan of Morrissey but he is spot on. All the disingenuous, shallow idiots will "send their thoughts and prayers" today and tomorrow (if it even takes that long) will be back to be taking selfies in their pool.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
                              daemonspudguy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Not to turn this more political than it already is, but Morrissey has to be right about at least something. A stopped clock is right twice a day, after all.

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

Not a big fan of Morrissey but he is spot on. All the disingenuous, shallow idiots will "send their thoughts and prayers" today and tomorrow (if it even takes that long) will be back to be taking selfies in their pool.
                            I didn't say he was wrong. What he says is true in many many contexts. But he is channelling his own grievances.

Comment

Working...
                            X