No announcement yet.

Pink Floyd's Most Unsuccessful Official Release in your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best of releases from any band are rarely great, even if they include outtakes, the outtakes seem to be included to extract a few more $ or ​ from the fans who already have all the material.

Comment

The Endless River. We really did not need that one. Even AMLOR, despite its mediocrity, at least had some worthwhile moments. The Endless River, on the other hand, is wasted time even trying to listen to. I remember how disappointed I was after all the hype about a "new Pink Floyd album". So I bought the CD on the day at release and was so excited to hear it. And then the huge disappointment, and after listening through that long boredom and coming to the only song with lyrics, I did not first believe what I heard when Gilmour started singing Polly's lyrics who have now become a common joke. It was terrible, the whole thing was, with no mitigating moments at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ConsequentlyCrackers View Post
        There's also the whole Seabirds travesty
        That reminds me one continuing source of frustration is that with all the Zabriskie stuff that has come out across the newer soundtrack and the Early Years is that they still haven’t released/found the Ultra Rare Trax version of Rain in the Country. What’s been officially released so far comes close but is not the same.

Comment

• lennyif
          lennyif commented
          Editing a comment
          Rain in The Country, and we also do not have an official release of "Oneone". We have several Love Scene variations, but none of them are the mix that made it on Omayyad. Like you said for Rain In The Country, some of the mixes are close, but there's some very distinct parts missing.

Originally posted by ILuvHoney View Post
        The Endless River. We really did not need that one.
        There had been rumors that they had all this extra material sitting in a vault. It’s good to finally have it so fans can finally stop wondering what else there was. Sure the album has its flaws but there’s some good music there. Unfortunately the best tracks end way too soon. Extended versions of Sum, Skins, and Allons-y would be great!
        Last edited by DaveTheRave; 08-09-2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

The Endless River. We really did not need that one. Even AMLOR, despite its mediocrity, at least had some worthwhile moments. The Endless River, on the other hand, is wasted time even trying to listen to. I remember how disappointed I was after all the hype about a "new Pink Floyd album". So I bought the CD on the day at release and was so excited to hear it. And then the huge disappointment, and after listening through that long boredom and coming to the only song with lyrics, I did not first believe what I heard when Gilmour started singing Polly's lyrics who have now become a common joke. It was terrible, the whole thing was, with no mitigating moments at all.
          It wouldn´t be a bad album for any other band, but this shouldn´t be released under Pink Floyd IMHO; just the isolated outtakes on some compilation. It feels more like an afterthought project (it was after all these years). It has some good bits, but I see it more just as a hommage for Rick (and with the last song also to make some sort of peace with the endless Gilmour/Waters travesty).

Comment

• daemonspudguy
            daemonspudguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I know this is a massive pipedream but I feel like the best way to have tried to make some peace with Waters would have been to try to invite him do something on the Endless River as well. It genuinely is a massive missed opportunity.

Originally posted by TheGreenStrat View Post
          I encourage everyone here to do that especially with all of the live tracks available. My version of AHM is almost all live versions since imo it was much stronger live than in studio, although I will give a shout out to the AHM 4.0 stereo fold down that’s appeared online since the drums are finally centered and loud.
          Your version of AHM with orchestra?
          We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

• TheGreenStrat
            TheGreenStrat commented
            Editing a comment
            Basically I just made my own AHM in iTunes of the live versions of songs that occurred in and around the time period AHM came out. I included a version from ‘70 without the orchestra as the opening track and included the original version (the 4.0 fold down mix) as a bonus track. I also included some Zabriskie Point demos, BBC sessions, and other live versions of songs to make my own version of AHM.

"It's What We Do" is better and more Floydian than most any track on AMLOR or TDB in my opinion. The problem is that there was a good Floyd album to be made out of the best parts of TDB and Endless River, but instead of making that album they made TBD with some good tracks and a bunch of junk, then Endless River with some good tracks and a bunch of junk.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
            daemonspudguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I personally feel like The Endless River has significantly more junk than The Division Bell, because so much of it feels exactly like what it is: some demoes polished just enough to not sound completely embarrassing.

To me Live at Pompeii Directors Cut DVD was a huge disappointment. The CGI is horrible and the whole film was cropped to 16:9. The new interviews were nice to see, but they had also been cropped so a huge chunk of the image was missing. There was no 5.1 mix and the bonus content was overall disappointing. Best thing about the release was the Adrian Maben Interview and the inclusion of the original film.
          Now if they would only release a Blu-ray edition of the film and include the Chit Chat With Oysters documentary! Some years ago a 2K transfer was shown to a small audience a couple of times, and supposedly it looked amazing!
          The 5.1 mix included in the Early Years box set was also very disappointing, like they didnt really care, and once again they used the Directors Cut version of the film. My go to version is still the fan made Quad edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Floydfan2410 View Post
            My go to version is still the fan made Quad edition.
            why fan made ?

there is an original Adrian Maben quad version - https://www.discogs.com/ru/release/6...-Quadraphonic-

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: in 1974, associate producer Phil Borack (whose company April fools films handled distribution of the film in the United States) and director Adrian Maben visited Los Angeles for the purpose of finding someone to produce a quadraphonic mix of the film's original multi-tracks. Dan Wallin, who received an Oscar nomination 4 years earlier for his work on Woodstock was appointed for this task. The mix was done in discrete quad, the multi-tracks were mixed to mag at A&M record studios, and then the mags were taken over to Todd-AO where the final mix was done. The quad mix was featured in selected screenings of the film but has never seen the light of day since then. Pink Floyd was never involved with the quad mix and it's possible that they're completely unaware of its existence. ​

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

why fan made ?

there is an original Adrian Maben quad version - https://www.discogs.com/ru/release/6...-Quadraphonic-

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: in 1974, associate producer Phil Borack (whose company April fools films handled distribution of the film in the United States) and director Adrian Maben visited Los Angeles for the purpose of finding someone to produce a quadraphonic mix of the film's original multi-tracks. Dan Wallin, who received an Oscar nomination 4 years earlier for his work on Woodstock was appointed for this task. The mix was done in discrete quad, the multi-tracks were mixed to mag at A&M record studios, and then the mags were taken over to Todd-AO where the final mix was done. The quad mix was featured in selected screenings of the film but has never seen the light of day since then. Pink Floyd was never involved with the quad mix and it's possible that they're completely unaware of its existence. ​
              That has got to be the version I have. It's unofficial thus fan made. The Quad mix hasn't been officially released yet.
              This is the one I have
              https://archive.ph/ii9Al

Comment

Working...
              X