Pink Floyd's Most Unsuccessful Official Release in your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Floyd's Most Unsuccessful Official Release in your opinion

Which official release causes the your most personal rejection?

My personal version:

https://www.discogs.com/release/7286...-Of-Pink-Floyd

I will never forgive anyone for castration of Echoes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, this topic has not yet been...​
    We were all on the same page

TBS14

Depends on the definition of success, of course.

"More" is pretty weak even by the standards of their other soundtrack work. There are some great live staples there, e.g. Cymbaline and Green, but there's also a lot of filler. Obscured and even the unreleased Zabriskie tracks show more promise than most of More.

Comment

it's a complete shame

https://www.discogs.com/ru/release/4...yd-A-Nice-Pair

Comment

Originally posted by grignr View Post
        Depends on the definition of success, of course.

"More" is pretty weak even by the standards of their other soundtrack work. There are some great live staples there, e.g. Cymbaline and Green, but there's also a lot of filler. Obscured and even the unreleased Zabriskie tracks show more promise than most of More.
        The word "filler" can be understood in different ways.

For example, when the wonderful work of JFE appeared:

https://ravinganddrooling.com/forum/...rrents/264876-

to my amazement, I heard in "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" guitar solo some sketches that David used in "Then I Close My Eyes", 36 years later.

Maybe not so much "filler" as "canned food of future ideas"?​ =)
        Last edited by YASHA; 08-09-2023, 04:46 PM.

TBS14

Comment

If we're talking albums, Endless River. If that doesn't count, Ummagumma.

If we're talking any release period; the new 50th Dark Side box set. Whatta fuckin joke.
          - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

• YASHA
            YASHA commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much for the full and detailed answer =)

• YYZ
            YYZ commented
            Editing a comment
            I second that.

• daemonspudguy
            daemonspudguy commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not very often we agree on something, but the 50th Anniversary Dark Side boxset is a fucking travesty. The Immersion Edition was a better boxset in every way (minus artwork). The actual remaster itself is good, but if it was bad I would be confused because it's James Guthrie doing it, but the contents as a whole really are not worth the price of admission.

Originally posted by svaerige View Post
          A Nice Pair is just a commercial operation, like most compilations and other remasters. They stay on the shelf, that's all. A product that offers nothing new other than the packaging is... how to say... define yourselves 🙂

Comment

• svaerige
            svaerige commented
            Editing a comment
            nevertheless there is a principal difference between the normal UK version and the idiotically assembled US

UK version - no any complaints

US version - is really a shame

I really felt like I threw a lot of money away on the 2CD rerelease of Zabriskie Point. Even the Floyd stuff felt like throwaway material. Same with compilations like Great Dance Songs and Works where as a completist you want it but feel kind of dumb paying full price for the one or two rare tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Elisto54 View Post

A Nice Pair is just a commercial operation, like most compilations and other remasters. They stay on the shelf, that's all. A product that offers nothing new other than the packaging is... how to say... define yourselves 🙂
            Shelf filler?

TBS14

Comment

• Elisto54
              Elisto54 commented
              Editing a comment
              Politically VERY correct 😄

• aybesea
              aybesea commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, but the packaging is worth the price of admission.

• YASHA
              YASHA commented
              Editing a comment
              Noblesse oblige...

The Final Cut. There. I said it out loud.
            Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

• Llama
              Llama commented
              Editing a comment
              You beat me to it! Lol

• jaman57
              jaman57 commented
              Editing a comment
              Beat me to it as well. I have never been so disappointed in any album by anybody at any time, given who it was from.

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
            I really felt like I threw a lot of money away on the 2CD rerelease of Zabriskie Point. Even the Floyd stuff felt like throwaway material. Same with compilations like Great Dance Songs and Works where as a completist you want it but feel kind of dumb paying full price for the one or two rare tracks.
            on ACOGDS we have 5 rare tracks if count unique crossfades

on Pink Floyd Works - 8 rare tracks if count unique crossfades

Zabriskie Point is not official Pink Floyd Music Ltd release

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post
              If we're talking albums, Endless River. If that doesn't count, Ummagumma.
              I know Ummagumma gets a lot of hate, but SBD live shows from this period are so rare that the live half is worth the price of admission, at least to me...

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but what was wrong with A Nice Pair?

Comment

• MGoBlue1989
                  MGoBlue1989 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the details svaerige. Nice to have them here so we don't forget.

• BergerSmicerKlopp
                  BergerSmicerKlopp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Darn, the US edition of A Nice Pair does sound a mess but... that mono version of Flaming?!

• YASHA
                  YASHA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ​Does the American version of the 8-tracks also suffer from similar shortcomings?​ =(

on ACOGDS we have 5 rare tracks if count unique crossfades

on Pink Floyd Works - 8 rare tracks if count unique crossfades

Zabriskie Point is not official Pink Floyd Music Ltd release
                ACOGDS - I don’t count the cross fades. Only the new version of Money and the full version Another Brick Pt2.

Works, you get the 2 quad songs plus Embryo, which was pretty weak compared to the live versions.

Zabriskie - I like the original 3 Floyd songs, but the extra stuff seemed weak. I lost those discs many many years ago but recall thinking the high price wasn’t worth it. Even for the other artists. But yeah it’s not a real Pink Floyd album.

For solo albums, Nick’s Profiles​ was a wtf moment for me. Luckily that one wasn’t expensive and my expectations were already low.

Comment

La Carrera Panamericana Laser Disc, and its music never been officially released.

Comment

ACoGDS is it for me. If we include solo releases, then Nick's Profiles (and Roger's upcoming DSotM redux). I quite like all of the other PF studio albums and the rest of the solo works from all members, even including The Body. I haven't played The Body in its entirety in 35+ years and while I don't intend on playing it anytime soon, I did enjoy it back in the day. Rex did a fun version a few years ago that I played a few times and that will likely be all I play moving forward..
                    Last edited by MGoBlue1989; 07-25-2023, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• TheGreenStrat
                      TheGreenStrat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Do you have a link to that?

• MGoBlue1989
                      MGoBlue1989 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have the files but I believe they can't be publicly shared. Also would be the right thing to do to let Rex have first crack at sharing them since it's his work. Hit me up in a few days if Rex hasn't made an appearance.
                  Working...
                  X