• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Side 50th Box
    Hey Hey, Rise Up
    The Endless River
    The Early Years
    The Final Cut

All of them are just, so disappointing. I don't really collect compilation records however I almost want to say Relics, as learning that Point Me At The Sky was swapped out for Bike when the Masters Of Rock compilation already had Bike frustrates me greatly, however I am biased as Biding My Time is my favorite Early Years song hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by ConsequentlyCrackers View Post
      Point Me At The Sky was swapped out for Bike when the Masters Of Rock compilation already had Bike
      There are no any Bike on The Best Of The Pink Floyd / Masters Of Rock

Comment

Originally posted by ammoj2 View Post
        I kind of like the Echoes compilation. It's nice to put on when I just want a generic dose of Pink Floyd from any era.
        I really like the artwork, too.

I made an imaginary third CD, complete with similar crossfades and two edits that would cause aneurysms among most fans here, but still think it works really well as a companion piece.

Comment

Originally posted by ConsequentlyCrackers View Post
          Dark Side 50th Box
          Hey Hey, Rise Up
          The Endless River
          The Early Years
          The Final Cut

All of them are just, so disappointing. I don't really collect compilation records however I almost want to say Relics, as learning that Point Me At The Sky was swapped out for Bike when the Masters Of Rock compilation already had Bike frustrates me greatly, however I am biased as Biding My Time is my favorite Early Years song hands down.
          Mmmmmmm...
          I think the Early Years was a fantastic release. If not fantastic, certainly not terrible. Lots of new footage, 5.1 Meddle, unreleased tracks, the BBC stuff, and so much more.

Or maybe I'm biased because it was released on my birthday
          - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

• daemonspudguy
            daemonspudguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I think my main problem with the Early Years stuff is that a lot of the audio has some major quality problems. I'm still confused as to why they had Andy Jackson do the mixing instead of James Guthrie.

post Roger Waters period....Pink Floyd are not Pink Floyd without Waters IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Andromeda1968 View Post
            post Roger Waters period....Pink Floyd are not Pink Floyd without Waters IMHO
            Wow. No one's ever said that before. What an original thought.

How is that related to the topic at hand exactly?

Comment

• Llama
              Llama commented
              Editing a comment
              If we are allowed to say that I guess I should state my unrelated opinion to the topic that "post waters Pink Floyd" is better than "post Pink Floyd Waters"!!

Now that I think of it, the biggest letdown was the Shine On boxset. Deep down I know I only really got it for the Early Singles CD. Die hard fans already had the all the CDs. To my ears (and on my crappy college stereo) there was no noticeable improvement in sound quality on the albums. And the book that came with it wasn’t particularly special. Most money spent for so little new/hard to find stuff. This was in the 1990s before streaming was a thing. I knew songs like Point Me at the Sky from bootlegs, but wanted some kind of official release on CD. The whole thing put a bad taste in my mouth. And a dent in my poor college student wallet.

Comment

• TheGreenStrat
              TheGreenStrat commented
              Editing a comment
              Completely agree. Not only that, it’s missing Piper. They had better remasters outside of the box set plus other collections would come further down the line. Personally I made my own singles collection where I added the potential Vegetable Man b/w Scream Thy Last Scream along with the others for a solid singles compilation. Cool cover art though and I’m always a fan of books and photos at least.

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post

Wow. No one's ever said that before. What an original thought.

How is that related to the topic at hand exactly?
            HI
            well what can I say the first thought that always comes to mind when thinking about Pink Floyd is that without Roger they have never been the same again...he was the creative soul...together the four of them were truly unique maybe it would have been better if had already disbanded with The Wall...and therefore returning to the topic all the post Final Cut albums are worse in my opinion and they never reached the 70's success again...for me The Wall remains their apotheosis clearly together with Dark Side and Wish you were here...even if as for personal tastes I really love the first period with the great Syd Barrett and therefore I often listen to the first album and I have the honor of having it original first UK 1967 pressing. that's all​

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post
              yes a nice pair it's orrible to see

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

There are no any Bike on The Best Of The Pink Floyd / Masters Of Rock

Odd, the digital copy I grabbed off soulseek had it included. Might've been a freebie by the uploader. I'll take the defeat on that.

Originally posted by NuffM View Post

Mmmmmmm...
                I think the Early Years was a fantastic release. If not fantastic, certainly not terrible. Lots of new footage, 5.1 Meddle, unreleased tracks, the BBC stuff, and so much more.

Or maybe I'm biased because it was released on my birthday
                The footage was a pleasant surprise, easily the strongest aspect of the release and I am grateful for that. However, the BBC stuff is of a lower quality than what Harvested had released, and Jackson's mix of Obscured By Clouds and the Pompeii audio was too treble-loaded. There's also the whole Seabirds travesty 😵. It's the lowest on the list, bar-none. I love the footage. There's just some aspects that make the whole thing a bit bittersweet. Can't comment on Meddle 5.1 as I don't have a 5.1 system 😅

Comment

I was going to stay out of this thread, because "unsuccessful" has too many meanings. However I can cut some slack because I know English is not everyone's native language here, so I shouldn't get so hung up on being pedantic (which is something I'm very prone to do). Also, I'm wary about this becoming yet another David vs Roger debate.

So, taking this as the guide:
                  Originally posted by YASHA View Post
                  Which official release causes the your most personal rejection?​
                  I've figured out how to offend both sides equally.

I'm going to put it as a tie between me rejecting equally The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. For me, both these albums represent how the original whole was greater than the sum of the parts. I don't see either of these albums as a true "band" effort. I pretty much would only listen to either of these as a reminder of why I find them disappointing compared to everything else they've done.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post
                    I was going to stay out of this thread, because "unsuccessful" has too many meanings. However I can cut some slack because I know English is not everyone's native language here, so I shouldn't get so hung up on being pedantic (which is something I'm very prone to do). Also, I'm wary about this becoming yet another David vs Roger debate.

So, taking this as the guide:

I've figured out how to offend both sides equally.

I'm going to put it as a tie between me rejecting equally The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. For me, both these albums represent how the original whole was greater than the sum of the parts. I don't see either of these albums as a true "band" effort. I pretty much would only listen to either of these as a reminder of why I find them disappointing compared to everything else they've done.
                    Do you really consider your post peaceful?
                    We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post
                      funny but i love both these albums

and I appreciate them more than​ Amused To Death nor The Division Bell for example

Comment

Originally posted by Elisto54 View Post

A Nice Pair is just a commercial operation, like most compilations and other remasters. They stay on the shelf, that's all. A product that offers nothing new other than the packaging is... how to say... define yourselves 🙂
                        I had Masters of Rock on cassette, and Works on CD, and Picnic on vinyl. I never liked the unfinished Embryo, so anaemic compared to the BBC Paris Theatre performance/transcription disk. I love Biding My Time, so I was one of the long-time plaintive voices asking for the otherwise-disposable Relics to come out on CD.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
                          Now that I think of it, the biggest letdown was the Shine On boxset. Deep down I know I only really got it for the Early Singles CD. Die hard fans already had the all the CDs. To my ears (and on my crappy college stereo) there was no noticeable improvement in sound quality on the albums. And the book that came with it wasn’t particularly special. Most money spent for so little new/hard to find stuff. This was in the 1990s before streaming was a thing. I knew songs like Point Me at the Sky from bootlegs, but wanted some kind of official release on CD. The whole thing put a bad taste in my mouth. And a dent in my poor college student wallet.
                          And complaints at the time that Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man were absent. TAP fanzine had already been vaunting the (Netherlands?) gold disk releases of the major albums like WYWH and Dark Side so the Shine On set had to be something special. The book in it wasn't that great. I was amused by the Big Bong Theory still being in the set's artwork design though.

The "Directors Cut" DVD of Pompeii with all those stock shots of NASA rockets launching etc that Adrian Maben reinserted didn't go down well with people who wanted something like the extended VHS had (Abbey Road studio interviews etc). Has the film ever had a decent release?
                          Last edited by Frankymole; 07-31-2023, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
                            daemonspudguy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes. The 1974 theatrical cut.
                        Working...
                        X