Pink Floyd's Most Unsuccessful Official Release in your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

Kind of a tangent but is Foot in the Door artwork possibly the worst of all PF related covers? Hard to believe it came out of Hipgnosis.
    Works is the worst, but guessing the band had nothing to do with that album.

Comment

• MrFender
      MrFender commented
      Editing a comment
      The cover to FitD is credited to StormSudios so not sure what he was thinking on that, pretty much a phoned in design.

Works I always looked at being associated with The Wall in a way (my own head cannon)? The guy is working on this big metal construct that resembles a giant wall. But either way, it really doesn't fit in with their other covers other than that association. Credited to Ron Larson so can't blame Storm for that one.

Works I always looked at being associated with The Wall in a way (my own head cannon)? The guy is working on this big metal construct that resembles a giant wall.
    ha ha

it's just a crude remake of an old Dutch poster

Click image for larger version

Name:	e14-141.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	355403

by the way - the correct name of the album should be Pink Floyd Works - not just Works

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

by the way - the correct name of the album should be Pink Floyd Works - not just Works
      I've never seen it credited that way. I think I only have it on cassette and it's printed as "Pink Floyd . Works" (dot in between the words). Plus the PF official website just lists it as "Works". Capital Records thing?
      What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
      Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

I've never seen it credited that way. I think I only have it on cassette and it's printed as "Pink Floyd . Works" (dot in between the words). Plus the PF official website just lists it as "Works". Capital Records thing?
        Nederland industrialiseert - it's means in English Dutch industrializes

this means that the word Works is a verb in the third person and not a noun in the plural

Comment

• MrFender
          MrFender commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh, I see what you're saying. You're getting into the linguistics of it all. I guess over here we butcher the hell out of any and all languages, definitions, spelling, etc so much that we just take the literal printed words. Which is funny as my wife has a Masters degree in English.

For me The Final Cut. I have never been able to with this record, without discussing its quality.

Comment

This is easy - Hey, Hey, Rise Up!

I heard it twice and that's about it. I do have the EP and CD single, but it's only because I am a completist.

Comment

I have never been in favor of speaking ill of the music that I like. in general I try to find some advantage or reason. but maybe the only time I felt discomfort was when they included When the Tigers Broke Free in The Final Cut... I love that song! but I don't like its insertion. I met the final cut when I was 12 years old and I memorized each of the lyrics, this exercise being very useful in my English classes! . It also annoyed me (and still annoys me) to think of The Final Cut as "leftover pieces from The Wall" since, as Vernon Fitch's book demonstrates, many of them were composed or finished until much later when the music for The Wall was recomposed. the movie... but that's another topic!

Comment

It's not Ummagumma as those live tracks are precious and it's not The Final Cut as that was such a sincere statement.

The comiplations weren't generally the band's decisions and even messed up like the US Nice Pair still have great music.

Other than that, the most relatively disappointing on release was A Momentary Lapse of Reason, the recent remix with more Rick and Nick is far better though.

I have all of them on vinyl and CD (sometimes multiples)... but I've never played The Endless River, maybe that's the one where they fall for me? I just don't want it to be the end.​​

Comment

Pan Americana VHS does anyone have those extracted tracks?

Comment

• MGoBlue1989
                  MGoBlue1989 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They can be found in A Tree full of Secrets . You'll need to search for that and select search in titles only to make it easier.

Originally posted by YASHA View Post
                Which official release causes the your most personal rejection?

My personal version:

https://www.discogs.com/release/7286...-Of-Pink-Floyd

I will never forgive anyone for castration of Echoes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, this topic has not yet been...​
                I think the way they shortened Echoes worked quite well. They only had 2 CDs for the best of project, so I think what they managed works quite well.
                ​​​​
                Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Kind of a tangent but is Foot in the Door artwork possibly the worst of all PF related covers? Hard to believe it came out of Hipgnosis.
                  Yes. Yes it is. Hell, Roger's not anyone's definition of a graphic designer but his design for the Final Cut is far better than whatever the fuck the cover for A Foot in the Door is supposed to be.
                  Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                  Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                  Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                  Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by YASHA View Post
                    Which official release causes the your most personal rejection?

My personal version:

https://www.discogs.com/release/7286...-Of-Pink-Floyd

I will never forgive anyone for castration of Echoes
                    Ten thumbs up!

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post

I think the way they shortened Echoes worked quite well. They only had 2 CDs for the best of project, so I think what they managed works quite well.
                      ​​​​
                      In the same way, could they put "Dogs" with the middle part cut out in this smelly collection instead of the fading "Sheep"?

Let me be corrected, but in my opinion, it was in this smelly collection that the seeds of "glorious marketing solutions" were sown, which sometimes make us so happy from year to year

What a tragedy - "They only had 2 CDs"...​

But we were lucky after all: no one guessed to cut out fragments of all PF songs SO THAT THEY FIT ON 1 CD !!!

P.S, By the way, the latter can still fall on our heads: smooth crossfades with the help of "artificial intelligence" (which never existed, no, and cannot be. There are only programmers)...

* a huge number of swear words*​
                      Last edited by YASHA; 07-28-2023, 05:01 PM.
                      We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

I have a soft spot for the Echoes compilation because it was my entry point into Pink Floyd beyond DSOTM and The Wall. The transitions are more than simple crossfades (the end of Us and Them for example - that was reconstructed from the multitracks specifically for this release), and the other edits, while unfortunate, were reasonably well done. It's also the only album release of the film version of When The Tigers Broke Free - the version that was shoved into recent Final Cut reissues is a different mix.)

A Foot In The Door, though? The editing and sequencing on that compilation is frustrating and lazy. The vinyl release at least restores the intro to Time - who's idea it was to lop off one of the most iconic parts of the song? F

Comment

I kind of like the Echoes compilation. It's nice to put on when I just want a generic dose of Pink Floyd from any era.

Comment

Working...
                          X