Pink Floyd's Most Unsuccessful Official Release in your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
    The Final Cut. There. I said it out loud.
    Trying to start a Roger fight over in this thread?
    What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

THE FINAL CUT!

I know some people out there like it, but I find it to be painful to listen to. A shame that he didn't bow out of the band prior to this album.

Some may poopoo on AMLOR and TDB... but those are much better albums than TFC (in my opinion). I understand that Roger didn't write for those albums and it seems like that's a huge part of why some people do not view them as true Pink Floyd albums. To each, his own!

That's all I can say without starting a waters/gimour war on here. Lol!!

Comment

• MGoBlue1989
        MGoBlue1989 commented
        Editing a comment
        If TFC is considered a PF album and not a solo effort, then so should AMLOR and TDB. I happen to like all 3 but TFC gets less plays per year and I prefer the original track list over the Discovery version with WtTBF. Just my $0.02.
        Last edited by MGoBlue1989; 07-25-2023, 11:53 PM.

What I do to any Floyd album I feel isn’t good/great is I make my own versions by taking songs out and adding in B sides, live versions, demos, outtakes etc. For instance I absolutely love 3/4ths of More but I took some songs out and added in some outtakes from the era from Zabriskie Point/BBC sessions/various outtakes etc. With Prof Stoned’s remixes I also redid my version of Ummagumma with his live remixes (really great listen btw, I always felt the OG release could’ve used improvement and his remix is basically what I imagined it could’ve been.) For the studio side I kept some of the tracks and replaced others with some Man/Journey and BBC session tracks.

I encourage everyone here to do that especially with all of the live tracks available. My version of AHM is almost all live versions since imo it was much stronger live than in studio, although I will give a shout out to the AHM 4.0 stereo fold down that’s appeared online since the drums are finally centered and loud.
      Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

I could do without the Division Bell/Endless River. I kind of like parts of Momentary Lapse so DB/ER will get cut.
        Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

Man, there have been so many disappointments it's hard to keep track. The Later Years was especially painful with its remix of Momentary Lapse that ended up barely distinguishable from the original. It would have been better not to tease us with the concept at all.

Comment

For me personally it would have to be the "Endless River". I was super excited when it came out unbeknownst to me and I saw it in the store. After listening to it I decided I like the cover and I remember a song I enjoyed but never went back to it.

Comment

For band releases, the Live at Pompeii remix in the early years. Ditto for the new video edit and the 2003 director's cut. I single these out because they fall short of their aim, which is to be definitive versions of the film and soundtrack. The Final Cut or the Endless River are exactly what they are supposed to be, like them or not.

For solo stuff, I'd go with About Face due to the many weaker tracks padding it out, and Is This The Life We Really Want. After 20+ years of Roger interviews discussing the (abandoned?) concept albums he was working on that sounded fascinating, what we got was pretty flat beyond the few highlight tracks. If some unknown artist had put out About Face or Is This The Life, I don't think I would have even finished listening to them all the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
                ACOGDS - Only the new version of Money and the full version Another Brick Pt2
                and what about edited version of SOYCD with unique transition from the second verse to the third ?

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
                Works, you get the 2 quad songs plus Embryo
                and what about One Of These Days with Speak To Me intro plus fake stereo versions of Arnold Layne and See Emily Play - are there not rare ?

Comment

Nothing wrong with The Final Cut.

Nothing wrong with The Endless River.

Nothing wrong with Echoes / A Collection Of Great Dance Songs / Works.

Nothing wrong with the remix of A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (though it could have been better).

The winner/loser is so awful - so monumentally uninteresting and beige - that no one here seems to have actually remembered it exists.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	716EM+OhOXL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.8 KB ID:	355388

Comment

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post
                    The winner/loser is so awful - so monumentally uninteresting and beige - that no one here seems to have actually remembered it exists.
                    See Emily Play + Time (Special Mix) + High Hopes (Edited Mix) + Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One) (Edited Mix) + a lot of unique crossfades

why should this be worse than Echoes

Comment

Whether you like the crossfades and edits or not, Echoes has the advantage of giving full breadth to the band's career and stylistic diversity.

A Foot In The Door is a marketing man's version of Echoes, and demonstrates what a travesty it would have been in the wrong hands. The brief seems to be: stick with the successful stuff that everyone knows from the radio with one or two outliers as concessions to the fans. The edits are done for practical reasons rather than any imagination.

And the artwork is spectacularly lazy.

Comment

A Foot In The Door ...
                        I think that The Foot In The Door is a good experience in attracting new followers

the name of the compilation and its cover art and the composition perfectly fit into a concept - an ajar door to the PF universe

this is just my opinion - everything else is a matter of taste​

Comment

Originally posted by grignr View Post

I know Ummagumma gets a lot of hate, but SBD live shows from this period are so rare that the live half is worth the price of admission, at least to me...
                          It seems like people always forget that this release was originally issued as a "nice price" offering, meaning that you paid for 1 LP but received 2 LPs. Effectively the pretty awful solo sides were tossed in for next to nothing. If memory serves me correctly (something I don't take for granted these days), standard albums at that time (early 70s) were about $5US, and that one was like $6US, whereas a stadard double album was around $9US. So throw away the "free" album and the remaining album was legendary!
                          Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

And the artwork is spectacularly lazy.
                            Kind of a tangent but is Foot in the Door artwork possibly the worst of all PF related covers? Hard to believe it came out of Hipgnosis.
                            What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                            PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                            Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                            Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                            Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

and what about edited version of SOYCD with unique transition from the second verse to the third ?

and what about One Of These Days with Speak To Me intro plus fake stereo versions of Arnold Layne and See Emily Play - are there not rare ?

I don’t count edits of songs, they are butchering the originals. And crossfading Speak to Me and OOTD sounds like a dumb record company decision and not one made by the band. My guess is the band had nothing to do with it.

I wasn’t aware that Arnold Layne and SEP were different than other versions already released on Relics, etc. the Syd era is not my favorite so missed that nuance. I no longer have the Works CD - we’re those 2 tracks labeled as being special?

Comment

Working...
                              X