Richard Wright wet dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pittylabelle View Post
    It's a pity that they don't use the original artwork for this re-release - I loved it.
    yeah, "Isn't it a Pity" as Nina Simone used to sing in live (amazing G.Harrison cover with just piano, steady bass, and her amazing voice)
    sorry for this musical-aparté. I loved a lot Hipgnosis's original artwork (even the CD release which I have has the front and back of the original LP) looking at the album's artwork; it's already something dealing with the theme of absence; years before Pink Floyd's AMLoR (Rick has jumped in the water; will he come up or is going away (like in Pink's Song lyrics)
    There seems to be some cool photos (oddly enough, the photo on the left reminds me "Random Precision" used on the Wish You Were Here album, but I'm not sure it was the same place... "This Place" as MOB used to call) - are there from the artwork photoshoot/project ? or did they do a totally new cover ? That would be sad if the original artwork is not printed somewhere in the booklet.

Using A.I model special to piano extraction I have tried to do a stripped down version (piano + voice only) of Wet Dream (that said, the acoustic guitar played by Snowy is tremendous; years before David Gilmour re-arranging the coda of High Hopes with acoustic guitar since 2002); I'm still amazed about how good and melancholic are songs like "Pink's Song". Magnificent.
    This is such a great album. I have always thought that "Funky Deux" like a funny but nice sequel of "Funky Dung" part from Atom Heart Mother. Deux's being a French word for "Two".
    I wonder if there will be some outtakes ? or alternate takes ? rough mixes or demos ?
    There was a lot of intrigued audio snippets on Rick Wright web site.
    When friends came to my apartment, I often use to play Rick Wright's solo album; remember the smile on their faces; "wow! that's Pink Floyd ?" - they asked a lot of questions about if this was something new, unreleased, etc... (they knew Dark Side, The Wall, but totally skipped this solo album by Rick Wright).

anyway I have pre-ordered this. Too bad that apparently Gilmour first opus on which S.Wilson was working will not see the light of the day; each new mix is something - at worst - interesting to discover; just for the sake of re-listening to an album.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin; 06-29-2023, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post

anyway I have pre-ordered this. Too bad that apparently Gilmour first opus on which S.Wilson was working will not see the light of the day; each new mix is something - at worst - interesting to discover; just for the sake of re-listening to an album.

I wouldn't say it'll never see the light of day, David's just probably waiting for a different time. Maybe he has something planned later this year...
      "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

Originally posted by JerryIsBored View Post

I wouldn't say it'll never see the light of day, David's just probably waiting for a different time. Maybe he has something planned later this year...
        oh, so there's hope. I thought I read that David did not like or approved S.Wilson mix, that would have been the reason why I thought that it was delayed.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
          Strange one to remix. I bought it years ago on CD and thought it was forgettable.
          DaveTheRave If that's the case, are you willing to part with your CD? I'd be interested in buying it from you.
          Last edited by David S CA; 06-29-2023, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Odd not including the original album as a 2 cd set at least.I always thought this was a great recorded album sound wise(love the music as well).Maybe they are removing the late 70s sound from it the way they did with the 80s sound on AMLOR.

Comment

Can't wait to hear it. Great album.

Comment

Artwork was done by Carl Glover. We might see a surprise or two in the remix.

Comment

Really looking forward to this release and I hope it will lead to Broken China getting the same treatment.

I also look forward to Jon Carin claiming it was his idea back in 87 to rerelease this with a new mix but everyone said no.

Comment

• voices2010
                    voices2010 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wish we could enjoy this news without hate messages or irony jokes about situations to which we are oblivious and that we ignore how they arose. At least I join the group with that intention, to free myself from the world of hate on social networks.

"Someone" jusy posted that a 5.1 mix of Wet Dream was completed. We'll see...
                  Last edited by rontoon; 06-28-2023, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Love the album, can't wait to hear this.

New cover art is godawful!

Comment

• Pittylabelle
                      Pittylabelle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Maybe they were trying to tell a story with this new artwork.

On the old original artwork, a person (Rick?) is lying on the upper deck of a sailing yacht. In principle, only the red shortpants can be seen. On the new artwork, this person (Rick?) has already jumped into the water. OK, just an idea. What this is supposed to say? No idea.

I find this new artwork rather blank, somehow interchangeable. Why does it always have to be a person diving into the water somehow? It was the same with Rick's last album "Broken China", although the cover concept there was abstract, of course.

These obviously newly discovered vacation photos could certainly have been included in the booklet in a normal way.

Everyone's an art director! 😂

Comment

Vinyl, 5.1 and Atmos now confirmed on the Floyd Facebook page
                      Attached Files

Comment

My remix of Richard Wright’s ‘Wet Dream’ will be released on CD and streaming platforms on what would have been Richard’s 80th birthday, 28th July. Deep blue transparent marbled vinyl and blu-ray formats follow on 29th September. The blu-ray additionally includes 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mixes as well as never-before-seen personal archive videos. The new mix additionally includes 2 extra passages of music that were edited out of the original mix.

Most people know that Pink Floyd have always been my favourite band, so it was a real honour to be commissioned by Richard’s children Gala and Jamie Wright to remix this relatively underrated and beautiful entry in the Floyd canon. For anyone hearing the album for the first time it will become apparent just how much of Richard’s DNA runs through Pink Floyd. His distinctive rhythm patterns, signature keyboard sounds, vocals, jazz influences, and style of play exude throughout.

All formats feature images and brand-new artwork commissioned and art-directed by Gala and Jamie and designed by Carl Glover. The original Hipgnosis artwork features in the vinyl booklet.

Pre-order all formats from https://richardwright.lnk.to/wetdream​

Comment

Eager to hear this new Mix. Steven Wilson's remixes are always very well done and provide a fresh air without deviating much from the original. Needless to say a 5.1 version is always a great addition.

On a purely personal note, I never liked the original Hipgnosis covers for the solo releases. I prefer this new artwork so much more than the original.

Comment

The link referenced above only seems to lead to streaming options. But at Rhino you can preorder the CD, Blu-Ray. and Vinyl. https://store.rhino.com/en/rhino-sto...ichard-wright/ .

Comment

Working...
                            X