No announcement yet.

Beliefs about Pink Floyd so misguided that they couldn't be more wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had always heard the Syd did so much acid that he was institutionalized for the rest of his life. Scrambled brains.
    Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

The thing about Pink Floyd being named after two of Syd's cats was a common rumour, I read about it in The Amazing Pudding (TAP) 'zine and other places. It sounded slightly more plausible than the assertion (put about by Syd himself, apparently) that he came up with the band name while meditating on a ley line and having it telepathically transmitted into his head by a UFO.

Wackiest misconception I had was that Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 was an anti-intellectual, anti-grammatical, anti-education song. Sadly the entire news media still seems to believe this. It's in fact against rote-learning, bullying and social control killing kids' curiosity for learning and crushing their spirit, so against what education was and is, not what it should be.

Comment

a tape salesman lured me back into his business every week for two and a half years by promising me a live Final Cut concert. There weren't many books on the subject and neither was the internet. Right after that I realized and I stopped visiting him while still sending him a look of hate from the distance every time I passed in front of him.

Comment

In the mid-seventies the story was told on the school-yard that Pink Floyd had a villa somewhere in Greece where you could go to as a fan and have all the drugs and sex you could wish for. I think someone took the movie More for a documentary.

Comment

This dumbass thinks Dark Side of the Moon is about the literal moon
            https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status...49398230441989

Comment

• Phred68
              Phred68 commented
              Editing a comment
              Noo .. that's Neil DeGrasse Tyson being tongue-in-cheek. He may also be referring to the misconception caused ONLY by the title of the album ... because of the dumb PUBLIC out there

• TheMoebLoop
              TheMoebLoop commented
              Editing a comment
              I really hope so.

What! The legendary Felix Atagong has shared an anecdote in my humble thread? That makes my day.

I feel much compelled to answer to this, keleven, as it wakes up once again a beef I have with all these so-called "Science Communicators". Now, yes, as a scientist myself, I will defend science as one of our most important tools and that, up to a point, it can be fun and enhance our appreciation of our world - yet, when these guys come with their needless "debunking" of common sayings and poetic imagery in order to strengthen their fragile egos by having the last word, feeling like gatekeepers of the "one true knowledge", I vomit and want to kill myself even more than usual.

To people like these, the only true form of art acceptable is science fiction, the sort of which is so heavy with jargon and "hard", that all plot development and character depth is thrown out the window in favour of making it as believable as possible (e.g. Asimov, Stephenson, and other ham-fisted egomaniacs who couldn't recognise a good story even if kicked them in the face); or that godawful stuff called scientific poetry.

Comment

Here's another one for ya:

A few months after those aforementioned beliefs were corrected, I found my father's vinyl of "Delicate Sound of Thunder" and, listening to that awful record (sorry, fans of DSOT), I was struck not only by Gilmour's rough vocals on it, and the cheesiness of the whole soundscape, but also by a certain strangely titled track I've never heard about before. Indeed, not yet advanced in my studies of English, I thought, "how weird Pink Floyd has become after Waters - to write a song about a monster": I had interpreted "Yet Another Movie" to mean "Another Yeti Movie"; and it would still take me some time to actually look up what 'yet' meant.

Comment

This is minor but I know I'm not alone here; when I first got into Floyd, I thought it was David singing on Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Obviously he does harmonies but back then I believed he sung the main parts, because I couldn't tell 'em apart yet. Some of my buddies agreed too apparently!

Comment

I used believe that Waters wasn't a complete a-hole.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                    I used believe that Waters wasn't a complete a-hole.
                    Me too. I had thought he was a righteous and somewhat reasonable a-hole.

Comment

There was and, I think, still is, a huge myth here in Argentina that Pink Floyd were going to play Dark Side of the Moon on a place called El Valle de La Luna (Valley of the Moon) in San Juan, one of our provinces. I knew about this myth when I was a child on the 80's, it was a very common known rumour as I learnt when I got older, so I don't know since when was that rumour going around, I suspect it might started back in the middle 70s when the album had its 15 minutes of fame around here.
                      Last edited by gotta_be_crazy; 03-22-2023, 05:11 PM.
                      If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

I would swear that I read somewhere that when the band recorded The Wall, they made two sets of master tapes - one on a machine called "Mork" and the other called "Mindy". The "Mork" tapes were used for all of the mixing and mastering. Apparently, according to this memory, during one of the remastering efforts, they discovered that some of the "Mork" tapes weren't in the best of condition, so they were forced to use the "Mindy" tapes in a few places. Some time later when Mahon/Fitch were writing a book about the sessions for The Wall, I wrote to Mahon to confirm my memory. He had *no* idea what I was talking about. Nothing like that he turned up in his research... and I was (of course) unable to find the article that I thought I remembered. So, now, I don't know what to believe... but, if it really was all my imagination... what an oddly specific & detailed way to be wrong...

Comment

There was also a a rumor in 1999 that Pink Floyd was going to play at the Giza Pyramids on December 31st to welcome the new millennium. Or something like that.

Comment

until i was well into high school, in the late '80s, i believed that 'obscured by clouds' was the album before 'meddle,' not after. and indeed, it still sounds out of place, if i listen to the discography in chronological order! (i've decided it's the complete lack of sound effects which causes this out-of-order sense.)
                            ...Raving and Drooling I fell on my Arse with a Squelch...

Comment

• MrFender
                              MrFender commented
                              Editing a comment
                              100% the same thoughts.

Originally posted by ruben77 View Post
                            There was also a a rumor in 1999 that Pink Floyd was going to play at the Giza Pyramids on December 31st to welcome the new millennium. Or something like that.
                            I read in french magazine in 2001, rumours about pink floyd playing at the Rock and rio festival 2003

Comment

Working...
                            X