No announcement yet.

Beliefs about Pink Floyd so misguided that they couldn't be more wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was new to Floyd I assumed the famous last concert with all 4 members (Live 8) was Pulse.
    Considering the amount of advertising used for marketing Pulse, it seemed logical to me.

That also meant that I thought Guy Pratt was Roger and that Roger had gone through some serious face surgery to look like Guy Pratt.
    How I was proven wrong after discovering ITAOT and reading up on the topic of Floyd drama of the late 80s.

Comment

I used to think for quite a while that it was Syd singing the "funny" parts of Corporal Clegg, like "He won it in the war, in 1944"

Comment

Originally posted by Floydfan2410 View Post
        I used to think for quite a while that it was Syd singing the "funny" parts of Corporal Clegg, like "He won it in the war, in 1944"
        I used to think that too

Comment

Not really a belief, but when I first listened to the Wall I couldn't tell who sang which lines, and thought they were all done by Roger. Except for the In The Flesh sequences in the movie, obviously.
          Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
          Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
          Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
          Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

When I first got into Floyd it was through Dark Side and the Echoes best of cd. I poured through the Echoes cd booklet over and over trying to figure out the pictures and who is who. I kept getting Syd and Rick and David confused. I also thought alot of the images were of a bad trip on acid.

Comment

When I was younger I misread that Dogs was originally titled You Gotta Be Crazy and thought Shine On was originally called You Gotta Be Crazy. So without ever hearing YGBC at the time I imagined that the chorus of “shine on you crazy Diamond” was sung with the words “youuu goottaaaa be craazzyyy” instead which, is somewhat fitting considering the subject matter. When I heard YGBC later on it made more sense having by then having heard Dogs.
              Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

Originally posted by Waldsman View Post
                I also thought alot of the images were of a bad trip on acid.
                I mean, is that not a possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
                  Not really a belief, but when I first listened to the Wall I couldn't tell who sang which lines, and thought they were all done by Roger. Except for the In The Flesh sequences in the movie, obviously.
                  Who sang those, Roy Harper?

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                    I used believe that Waters wasn't a complete a-hole.
                    Funnily enough I used to believe that about Polly Samson! Best to do what Nick does and ignore it all.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned Rita Pavone yet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Pavone

When TAP (The Amazing Pudding), a famous Floyd fanzine, was in full flow in the early 90s, a correspondent to their letters page insisted that the lyric in San Tropez (on Meddle) was not "making a date for later by phone", but instead "making a date for Rita Pavone". They seemed obsessed by the 60s singer, to the extent of refusing to accept the correction and going into great detail about her and her supposed links to Floyd and reasons Roger might be referencing her, continuously writing to the magazine and starting up a heated discussion.

Not sure if it was cloth ears, wishful thinking or a poor copy of the album. But at least it made more people aware of Rita Pavone, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post
                        Best to do what Nick does and ignore it all.
                        Funny how you don't stand by the same advice that you give to others.
                        Anyway, nice to see you regarding Polly as member of Pink Floyd!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post

Who sang those, Roy Harper?
                          Probably a joke but I'm still gonna answer for those unaware. The actor who played the character Pink in The Wall movie, Bob Geldof, also sang the two In The Flesh songs for the film.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                            Funny how you don't stand by the same advice that you give to others.
                            Anyway, nice to see you regarding Polly as member of Pink Floyd!
                            She's their lyricist as far as I'm aware. But she also speaks "for" David. Whether he wants it or not!

Comment

• blauwdruk
                              blauwdruk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I hope this is not heading towards the well known Roger-David discussion...

• daemonspudguy
                              daemonspudguy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If it were, the answer is Bob Klose.

Er... Can we keep the thread light-hearted, please?

Comment

Originally posted by ILuvHoney View Post
                              I once thought - like many other people - that Syd had his "brain destroyed" or something by acid.
                              Of course, after learning more about the case, I learned that this story in fact was a lot more complex.
                              Rick Wright told a story of everyone splitting up on a Friday and when they reconvened the following week Syd had changed, Rick said Syd had done something and destroyed part of his brain.
                              Last edited by billy1; 04-23-2023, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X