Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interstellar Overdrive 1966

Hi Folks -
    Can anyone who's done a rip of the official vinyl release of IO from the San Francisco soundtrack PM me please? I own the vinyl but have no means to rip it and am curious to compare.

Mike

They used bad source (VHS audio) for this while tape exist and was send to them. Seek out recent bootlegs like Black Holes In The Vault

Comment

Can anybody give me a hint where to get Black Holes In The Vault from?
      Seems I missed that one...

Comment

Also interested!

Comment

count me in if this bootleg pops up. I did a quick search and found a source on some obscure japanese site but of course the magnet link never worked.
          If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Comment

CanadaMike creamcheese gotta_be_crazy I can help you with that one (it can't be shared here because of official content). Drop me a PM for a link.

Comment

Sorry if this has been discussed before, or is common knowledge, but can I just ask......this 1966 version sounds to me as though they're on speed. I've always wondered - did they really record it at that tempo? A few years ago, I slowed down the Black Holes version so that the intro matched the Piper version. It came out about 6 minutes longer than the original and, to my ears, apart from maybe the drums, it sounds better. The count-in at the start also sounds more natural. If it has been speeded up at some point, maybe the answer lies somewhere between the two. Mind you, I daresay my slowing it down has put it in the wrong key.

Comment

Originally posted by Simond View Post
                Sorry if this has been discussed before, or is common knowledge, but can I just ask......this 1966 version sounds to me as though they're on speed. I've always wondered - did they really record it at that tempo?
                The matter of fact is that the original master tape version lasts 15 minutes 35 seconds (I know this for sure)

Version of the RSD release is speed up as it was in its VHS source and lasts 14 minutes 55 seconds

It is not clear why Black Holes also speed up their version even though their source was the gene close to master tape​

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

The matter of fact is that the original master tape version lasts 15 minutes 35 seconds (I know this for sure)

Version of the RSD release is speed up as it was in its VHS source and lasts 14 minutes 55 seconds

It is not clear why Black Holes also speed up their version even though their source was the gene close to master tape​
                  FYI, the "Stern Copy" is 15:35 + 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post

FYI, the "Stern Copy" is 15:35 + 5 seconds of silence at the end.
                    Yes

I probably meant "Stern copy" - not original master tape

sorry for mistake

Last edited by svaerige; 03-15-2023, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Maybe

But all the video versions of Stern film that I came across were sped up​
                      LOL. Not maybe, I'm telling you exactly how long the file is.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post

LOL. Not maybe, I'm telling you exactly how long the file is.
                        Yes - and so it happened I have got the copy from true "Stern copy"

Comment

So the current version on most / all compilations is too fast? Correct speed is about 95.8% of that? Did a quick test in Audacity using 15:35 and it sounded natural

Comment

Decided to quickly scan all the copies of this track that I have and oddly the oldest one (included on A Tree Full Of Secrets) is the only one close to the proper length mentioned above.

Comment

... the original master tape version lasts 15 minutes 35 seconds ...

... the RSD release is speed up as it was in its VHS source and lasts 14 minutes 55 seconds
                              Is that just "PAL speedup", then - i.e. the original film was shot at 24 FPS but it was telecined at 25 FPS to produce 625/50 video without the need for repeated fields? If so, the correction factor would be 24/25 = 0.96.

Comment

Working...
                              X