Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on upscaling standard definition DVD to 1080p?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on upscaling standard definition DVD to 1080p?

Fellow PF minded people, those with much more knowledge about audio/visual stuff than me:

I've noticed the uptick in AI upscale/restorations recently and I wondered whether or not the more modern SD concert footage (e.g. Roger Waters Argentina 2007) would benefit from this treatment. I know most of the digital video basics but using AI to upscale is a new territory for me and I'm not sure if it's even worth the hassle.

I've included a couple side-by-side test shots using the aforementioned Argentina show. All I've done is use the default Topaz AI settings (Proteus Auto)

As you can see, a lot of the blocking artifacts are removed, the aliasing is less noticeable, and not much detail is removed in some of the darker places. It still doesn't feel like that much of an upgrade though, probably due to the nature of the source. Also some of the background elements get a bit garbled (the arms of the kids for instance).

What do you all think? Is it just a waste of time?

Hi,

a nice upscale is always welcome. Check yt for Pink Floyd 4k, there are some really nice upscales.

Best
    Nils
    FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

Comment

Love a good upscale of concert footage. I've been wanting an HD version of the late oughts Dark Side tour for a while, especially since at least one show (the one that also gave us the great 50,000 Lunatics in the Grass boot, March 14th, 2007 at the Estadio Nacional in Santiago de Chile) is recorded in 16:9 widescreen.
      Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
      Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
      Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
      Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

• CristobalH96
        CristobalH96 commented
        Editing a comment
        would be great but there is a hq source? i only have the piratebay version and it's pretty bad, and as i know, is the same source posted here...

looks great mate, you used the correct model

Comment

Working...
      X