Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage

I was wondering how everyone manages their storage.

Over the years of collecting, I've amassed stuff and have it stored on various formats, from audio CD-Rs to data DVD-Rs to external hard drives (some backed up, some not, I know, I know...) which has resulted in a bit of a sprawl (approx. 3000 data DVD-Rs & approx. 38TB across several external hard drives - not all Floyd before you start jumping up and down, I also like other people that have toured an awful lot and there's also a significant TV / radio archive (again, various, not PF).

Ideally, I'd have everything in one place for easy access, which points to a NAS but it would have to be some hefty kit to store / back everything up and then there's always the future possibility / hassle of needing even more storage.

Cloud storage has been considered but ruled out due to cost / time to upload everything / lack of a reasonable streaming solution (ie, I've not found anything that will just play through a whole folder of audio files) / prefer to be in control of stuff and have it stored on my terms.

Any thoughts / suggestions / observations gratefully received, thanks.

NAS is the best choice. Plus external USB drives for backup.

Comment

Something like a Synology NAS could easily handle it. They have up to 12 or 14 bay boxes i think and the latest WD red drives are 22TB so there's plenty of flexibility on how you could go with that type of setup. It just depends on how much you're willing to spend. I run 2 lower end models with 4TB each, they show up under Windows Explorer as just another drive and also will stream over to my receiver.
      Good Lord, it's Kitty Carlisle! And she's packing heat! - Crow T. Robot

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
      Rog - Aug 20, 2020, Atlanta (Taped)
      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by mccichy View Post
        NAS is the best choice. Plus external USB drives for backup.
        Exactly! I have a small 4-bay Qnap NAS with 4 8TB SSDs…and 2 USB HDDs as backup. Works perfectly fine!

Best
        Nils
        FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
        Youtube
        Apple Podcast
        Amazon Music
        Spotify
        Deezer
        Facebook

Comment

Quality NAS drives using “disk mirroring,” RAID 1.

Comment

I have an ICY BOX​ and a Lian Li EX-50, which I use as a way of connecting extra hard drives to my regular desktop computer. I like having all my Pink Floyd stuff on a single hard drive, so I'm using Microsoft Storage Spaces (basically a software RAID that's built into newer Windows versions) to combine all of these drives into one giant drive with two-drive disk mirroring. In total 104TB, but strongly reduced because of the disk mirroring.

I don't think I would recommend Storage Spaces over a NAS with RAID, but I'm too far into it to turn around now.

Comment

Originally posted by direwolf View Post
              Cloud storage has been considered but ruled out due to cost / time to upload everything / lack of a reasonable streaming solution (ie, I've not found anything that will just play through a whole folder of audio files) / prefer to be in control of stuff and have it stored on my terms.
              So I use a combination of local hard drives and remote cloud storage. There is an app called CloudBeats that plays my cloud files flawlessly. They support several cloud providers including pCloud, and pCloud offers lifetime accounts. I've had mine 10 years and couldn't be happier. They do limit how large your account can be, currently a max of 16TB... but they raise this bar periodically and you can purchase additional lifetime storage. It's costly up front, but then no more payments (unless you expand).
              Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

I have about 40TB of live data split into 4 different hard drives, one for Audio, One for TV shows, one for HD movies and one for 4k movies. These are just plain hard drives connected to my PC/Server through USB 3.1 in seperate external enclosures.

I use Plex to serve up my Video and assett upnp as a DLNA server to serve up my audio on my local network.

I back it all up on a Raid box TerraMaster D5-300C USB3.1, with 5 18GB drives on it in Raid 0 to give me around 90TB of backup storage, I kept running out so decided to go for broke and 90TB for backups will last me a while. I also have an older 2 drive Raid box I use for a third backup of most of my media just in case.

When one of my active drives fill up I just swap it out with a larger drive, I have been in a race for these single drives as I do not want to split my library any further, just got a new 22TB drive for the 4k movies since they take up so much space. So I'm actively looking at the latest sized hard drive releases and waiting for them to come down in price. Can't wait for the 30-40 TB single drives

Also once I can get good uploads speeds I'm going to look at cloud storage as a 4th backup but I'm at the mercy of Comcast on that one.

Comment

Working...
                X