Backing Up DVDs to a Harddrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Up DVDs to a Harddrive

In the past I have used DVD Decrypter, DVDFast to work with DVDs.
    Any other thoughts/suggestions on backing up my DVD content to a harddrive?

Hi, i like DVDFab a lot!

Best
    Nils
    FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

Comment

I've been using MakeMKV a lot. It makes MKVs. Works like a dream.

Comment

• hofzinser
        hofzinser commented
        Editing a comment
        I love MakeMKV as well. It keeps the chapters, but you lose the menu (which doesn't bother me at all). I also like the single file aspect, compared to the multi files found on a DVD.

I second the DVD Fab suggestion. Never had a problem with it.

Comment

MakeMKV is great if you don't care about menus and such. MakeMKV is free while in beta.

​I don't care about menus usually, so it works perfect for me. DVDFab is also great. The software has become a bit bloated over the years but it serves it's purpose.
        Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

dvdbackup and dvdae are my go to's.
          Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

makeMKV is also useful to create the ISO copy, so menus would be included

Comment

I used to use DVD Decrypter for DVDs and DVDFab for Blu-rays if I wanted menus. If I just wanted the content, I'd use MakeMkv. Most of the time these days, I use MakeMkv to create an iso which has menus and I also rip the individual content to mkv in case I just want to see a couple things. This strategy works especially well on anthologies or collections to separate and catalog individual videos.
              Last edited by MGoBlue1989; 03-08-2023, 08:39 PM. Reason: Used more gooder English :-)

Comment

Originally posted by evras View Post
                I had totally missed that MakeMKV can do this now. I don't think that it used to. This would be my choice then.

Comment

Originally posted by evras View Post
                  Are you sure? How do you do that? Maybe I missed that option.

Comment

• MGoBlue1989
                    MGoBlue1989 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    1. Put DVD or Bluray in drive.
                    2. Open MakeMKV and go to File Menu -> Open Disc -> click on drive
                    3. After disc opens and is decrypted and analyzed, go to File Menu -> Close
                    4. File Menu -> Backup

Backup is greyed out until opened and closed.

• fatoldpig
                    fatoldpig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I followed your instructions, but it didn't create any .iso file. It just decrypted to "BDMV", "CERTIFICATE", MAKEMKV folders.
                    Last edited by fatoldpig; 03-13-2023, 04:28 AM.

• MGoBlue1989
                    MGoBlue1989 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting... I tried with the 20th Anniversary Division Bell DVD before commenting and it gave me a .iso... twice. I can't find any preferences that tell specify to make folders vs .iso either. I haven't done this in a few months with Blu-ray but maybe MakeMKV doesn't do the same with Blu-ray?? That said, I use ImgBurn to create .iso for other discs that I downloaded in BDMV etc folder format.

After chatting with MGoBlue1989​, it looks like they have added iso creation with the newer version of MakeMKV. I was using v1.16.7 (27.2.2022 )​. I just installed 1.17.3 and now I can create DVD iso. Still not able to create blu-ray iso.

Comment

Originally posted by fatoldpig View Post
                    After chatting with MGoBlue1989​, it looks like they have added iso creation with the newer version of MakeMKV. I was using v1.16.7 (27.2.2022 )​. I just installed 1.17.3 and now I can create DVD iso. Still not able to create blu-ray iso.
                    It should be the exact same process. I am testing now with a blu-ray and will report back.

Comment

Originally posted by fatoldpig View Post
                      I did experience MakeMKV not making an ISO for a commercial blu-ray disc. It did create a decrypted blu-ray file structure though. I suppose I'll still use DVDFab if I need to utilize this feature.

Comment

Thanks for confirming buffalofloyd . Hopefully they sort that and can make .iso from both bluray and DVD. I have kind of given up on DVDFab after it butchered a couple rips. I also see the warning error (copied below) in MakeMKV whenever I try to extract from DVDs ripped by DVDFab. I think I will take the decrypted file structure from MakeMKV and use IngBurn to make an iso if I need to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	8.1 KB ID:	303669

Comment

i want to thank everyone for this thread. i just started using MakeMKV (due to this post) to rip some older dvds i own. it's pretty sweet.

Comment

Working...
                          X