Headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohms. They are professional studio monitors and are fucking fantastic.
    Agreed. Also the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm model, which is what I have. Expensive but wonderful sounding.
    I had been trying a dozen cheaper ones and had almost given up finding headphones I really enjoyed (I hate all these newer bass heavy models...) when a journalist friend lent me his pair, and they still make me very happy after many years of using them

Comment

If you get some in-ear ones and they don't come with a case or you don't like the case, I have found a can of chewing tobacco (cleaned out of course) works really well to carry and protect mine.

Comment

Meze 99 classics get most of my listening time. But I did also recently get some opened backs that I enjoy too: the HD6XX from Drop. These I have only used while connected to an amp.
        Overall, when it comes to headphones I mostly just miss my phone not having a dedicated port now. Haven't bit the bullet on a portable DAP.
        Roger Waters
        - Las Vegas MGM Grand 2010-11-26
        - Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena 2017-06-16
        - Salt Lake City Vivint Arena 2022-09-08

David Gilmour
        - Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl 2016-03-25

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
        - Denver Paramount Theatre 2022-10-20​

Comment

I’d strongly recommend the Sony MDR-7506. These are studio monitors like the sennheiser hd 280 pro. I’ve used both extensively and the Sonys are better. The hd 280 clamp on like a damn vise and get uncomfortable after a little bit.

Keep in mind these are monitors and are considered “neutral” sounding. Which also means they are rather unforgiving and reveal the limitations of the source material.

The Grado SR-60 are made here in Brooklyn, NY, and are quite good in their own right. These are very “musical” and have a lot of high end. I use the word “aggressive” and I mean that in the best possible way. They just fucking rock. Hard. These are far from neutral but are a damn good time.

All 3 of the above are in the 100 USD range and I’ve used each extensively. Do plenty of research, though. First you need a specific budget and then you need to decide if you want on-ear, over-ear or in-ear.

Comment

I am a Beyerdynamics disciple for a long time now.
            Reading through the thread I came across DT770 and DT990. I have the 990, which is a great headphone but it is known to boost the bass a little, why I got myself a DT880 in addition and that one is a revelation, super linear, super clean in the hi end, but quite expensive.
            If you are looking for a really nice headphone at a very affordable price you could go for the Superlux HD681 EVO. Bought this one for my kids because it received very positive reviews throughout and I was very impressed when trying it myself. I'd say that one is the budget headphone to go for.
            As you told you need the 3,5 mm jack I think you should go for a 32 Ohm headphone regardless of what product it's going to be.
            The higher the impedance of the headphone is, the more amplifier power you need...
            I have the 250 Ohm version of 880 and 990 and I have to turn up my cambrige amplifier to about 3/4 to get them being LOUD...

Here's a link to a review including frequency response diagrams. It's in german, but maybe you can feed google translator with the URL...
            https://www.kopfhoerer.de/test/superlux-hd681-evo/
            Last edited by creamcheese; 03-02-2023, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I have newer headphones but I still pull out my old Koss Pro4AA's once and a while they were used for in many recording studios in the 60's & 70's much heavier than newer headphones but they sound great.
              5 years ago I contacted Koss about the cord that needed replacement and they told me to send them in and they would provide and estimate to repair, 2 weeks later there was a box on my doorstep they had replaced the cable ear cushions, top cushion basically rebuilt them, no charge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Koss-Pro-4AA-Studio-Quality-Headphones.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	9604
              Last edited by mark2114; 03-02-2023, 05:22 PM.

Comment

This thread is timely as I was just thinking about buying a good pair of headphones to replace my cheap 50€ wireless huawei earbuds. What do you think of the Sennheiser HD599? I found them at a great price on a site (€99) and I couldn't help but buy them. Hoping it isn't a scam, as they cost quite more on Amazon and related, what's your general opinion on them?

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
                  I have a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 phones that I just love. They are wireless, but can use the LDAC codec for true lossless. The current model is XM4.
                  i see those sony ones on top of most lists most of the time.

Comment

I love my HIFIMAN Sundara Planar Headphones, Fiio F9 IEMs and Sony WH-1000XM4 wireless.
                    For earbuds I love my Jabra Elite 7's. :cool:
                    Last edited by rontoon; 03-03-2023, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• WorldmanOne
                      WorldmanOne commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glad to see someone else using Jabra’s. I’ve been using the Jabra’s truly wireless headphones now for almost 4 years and I couldn’t be happier! Definitely my favorite everyday earbuds B)

I'm quite pleased with my Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones and Samsung Galaxy Buds+ wireless
                    I am you and what I see is me.

Comment

I am very happy with my Sennheiser HD 560S headphones. Great sound!

Comment

Originally posted by Valdan_17 View Post
                        This thread is timely as I was just thinking about buying a good pair of headphones to replace my cheap 50€ wireless huawei earbuds. What do you think of the Sennheiser HD599? I found them at a great price on a site (€99) and I couldn't help but buy them. Hoping it isn't a scam, as they cost quite more on Amazon and related, what's your general opinion on them?
                        My HD599s have been excellent, and can even accept "balanced" output to them. Well worth the price, and it does seem to be fluctuating a bit so don't worry if they seem "too cheap".
                        Last edited by Phred68; 05-13-2023, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X