Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fingal's Cave Podcast Ep.17 - Reflections on Roger Waters: The Solo Years (1984-1992)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved how in depth you guys got with some of my favourite, and I consider under appreciated material. Pros & Cons and When The Wind Blows are special albums for me. Pros & Cons especially is criminally overlooked IMO by many Floyd fans. It's a complex concept with many of Rogers best lyrics. I wish we could hear the original demo (one can dream). When The Wind Blows bridges the gap to KAOS perfectly and I spent many bus rides and "study sessions" listening to the single 20 minute suite from my original CD copy.

Obviously Amused To Death gets plenty of love from most fans, HOWEVER I am always curious to hear more. I can only dream Roger would release some of the demos / outtakes from that album as well.

Thank you to everyone involved!!

Comment

If it was 3 hours or 3 one-hour podcasts it would still take
      e the same amount of time to get through it.

Interesting to hear different viewpoints on Roger’s material even though I completely disagree with some of what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
        Interesting to hear different viewpoints on Roger’s material even though I completely disagree with some of what I heard.
        Oh me too. I'm happy enough to celebrate diversity of tastes, so I find it fascinating to hear people articulate their enthusiasm for material I've heard but never particularly taken to. Same went for the Floyd later years episode, for the record, so it's not a Rog vs Dave thing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post
          Oh me too. I'm happy enough to celebrate diversity of tastes, so I find it fascinating to hear people articulate their enthusiasm for material I've heard but never particularly taken to. Same went for the Floyd later years episode, for the record, so it's not a Rog vs Dave thing for me.
          Yeah sometimes it’s a Roger vs Roger thing with me. Pros & Cons is mostly a train wreck with just a few bits of good music and a word salad of weird lyrics.

When the Wind Blows (his part) is really great.

Radio KAOS has some good songs but the Jim Ladd stuff is annoying and I can’t get into Billy the computer.

ATD (original mix) has some great songs but I despise the stupid Marv Albert talking over the music stuff.

I think his best is ITTLWRW. Mostly great songs, gets away from the goofy talking computer or alien anthropologist storylines.

And to be fair it’s David vs David, too, with diminishing returns on each of his albums after his superb first solo album. Already lowered my expectations after the new Piper song with the boring chorus. If he’s leading off with his best song we’re in for another OAI or RTL snoozer.

Comment

Great episode guys. Loved the lengthy discussion. Can listen and talk about all things PF for hours. Shoutout to Kyle for the plug on Col’s site. So cool!!

Comment

Finally got around to listening, loved the longer format and being able to cover so much ground. I went back and listened from Final Cut to ATD again and I now have a better appreciation of Pros & Cons. Clapton and the band really do a great job on it. No change in my opinion of Final Cut and ATD (don't care for either) but that's the way it goes. I will say that Roger is more consistent from album to album.
              For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
              PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
              Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
              Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
              Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

ATD (original mix) has some great songs but I despise the stupid Marv Albert talking over the music stuff.
                One man gathers what another man spills... I love the Marv Albert commentary on Perfect Sense. Having an actual renowned sportscaster doing a play-by-play over a televised military conflict was to me a genius commentary on "war being consumed as entertainment." This comes on the heels of a sound bite of a woman saying she enjoys watching war coverage on TV.

This segment reminds me of a Frank Zappa performance on Saturday Night Live of the song I'm The Slime (that oozes out of your TV set), with their actual TV announcer Don Pardo participating in the performance.

Totally appropriate in my view. Also, I loved the idea of a "Global Anthem" which is primarily to do with money. All great social commentary.

Comment

• stonytokes
                  stonytokes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm in complete agreement on all three points.

Originally posted by Swirling Panpot View Post

One man gathers what another man spills... I love the Marv Albert commentary on Perfect Sense. Having an actual renowned sportscaster doing a play-by-play over a televised military conflict was to me a genius commentary on "war being consumed as entertainment."
                Voices between songs is fine, but I hate it when it’s during the song. Even the “short sharp shock” line from Us & Them takes me out of the song a bit. If I could edit that part out of the original track I would. Heresy, I know.

Comment

Voices between songs is fine, but I hate it when it’s during the song. Even the “short sharp shock” line from Us & Them takes me out of the song a bit. If I could edit that part out of the original track I would. Heresy, I know.
                  Going down that rabbit hole and off topic - how about Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light? Phil Ruzzuto's commentary is critical to the song.

Yeah, it's really not over another part of the song so much as a section of the song itself. Maybe not the best example.
                  For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                  PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                  Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                  Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                  Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Paradise is a great song, but it’s almost like a novelty song at the same time because that middle section is kind of silly. With the “stop right there!” cutting off Phil.

(Now I’m having flashbacks to a drunken night years ago where a guy I worked with did Phil’s part during karaoke. Good times.)

Comment

This took me a couple of days to get through, but I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion being that I'm a huge fan of Roger's early solo work. It went a little long talking about The Wall In Berlin, and ATD for my taste, but all in all it was a lot of fun hearing you guys trade opinions about the material, even if I didn't agree with all the viewpoints expressed, and I thought there was a ton of insightful analysis.

I generally enjoy content like this dependent on the personalities of those involved. One of my favorite YT channels is Sea Of Tranquility which features music discussion, review, and analysis for fans of classic rock, metal, and prog fusion.
                      I look forward to checking out other episodes. Cheers!
                      And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

Working...
                      X