Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fingal's Cave Podcast Ep.17 - Reflections on Roger Waters: The Solo Years (1984-1992)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingal's Cave Podcast Ep.17 - Reflections on Roger Waters: The Solo Years (1984-1992)

Hello everyone,

It is with great pleasure that we offer you a new episode of the Fingal's Cave Podcast today. This episode is a very special one in many ways: it is by far the longest ever produced and at the same time it looks straight into the hearts of many Roger Waters and Pink Floyd fans. For almost three hours we discuss with passion, sometimes controversially, sometimes in agreement about 8 years of Roger Waters solo work. A conversation that I as the host enjoyed immensely and we very much hope that you will enjoy it too, as it shows that you can discuss Roger Waters without ending up in an unnecessary argument.

And we really hope that here at R&D we can do the same...talk about it in a good manner.

Have fun!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	446.2 KB ID:	368965

Big thanks to Kyle for this wonderful thumbnail!

Best
    Skinny

Homepage: https://fingalscavepodcast.com
    Youtube: https://youtu.be/9R7ISCebNWo
    Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/de/podcas...e/id1686352696
    Amazon: https://music.amazon.de/podcasts/ef8...ink-floyd-fans
    Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/5l7sw8X4YkSNpvxkYOzF2z

Best
    Skinny​​​
    FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

I am honored and proud to have been a guest on this excellent podcast. Thanks goes to Nils for inviting me on, as well as his patience in waiting and discussing my decision to take part. This might be the only podcast episode out there where both Pros and Cons and Radio KAOS are talked about in kinder terms, and I’m very pleased with knowing that. Thank you both Adam and Nils for the wonderful chat!
    Go Fishing, My Boy...

Comment

Greatly looking forward to this one! Thank you!

Comment

Good morning everyone!

I got some questions regarding the new episode:

- How do you see the length, is it too long? Or -due to the level of detail and nerdiness - acceptable at times?

- Are episodes with discussions like this one (mixed with ones with guests) interesting?

- would you be - in general- interested in additional notes, like photos, scans…etc.

All the best
        Nils

Available here:
        Youtube
        Apple Podcast
        Amazon Music
        Spotify
        Deezer
        Facebook

Comment

I haven't listened to this episode; personally, I prefer interviews.
          There are so many excellent interview podcasts out there I have a hard time even listening to all those that I care about, so I mostly skip the discussion ones.

Comment

I welcome all kinds of information.
            Any type, any size =)​
            We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Hi. I haven't listened to this one as I don't know the music being discussed. But I'd have no problem with the length - I wish the discussion in Episode 14 on the 1967 live shows had gone on for longer! I'm happy with both interviews and discussions.

Comment

It’s the variety and detail that makes them so interesting. Liking the episode's length will depend on where your particular interest lies. Even within each episode, certain segments could be expanded on...with this one, I’d have liked slightly more time spent on ATD. Maybe it could have been split over two shorter episodes 1984-87 and 1992. As Simond says, some episodes you wish lasted longer.
                I prefer the interview style presentation but look forward to them all. The discussion episodes will often provide us with those otherwise overlooked nerdy details that you maybe wouldn’t always get or expect from guest interviewees.
                Unusual or 'unseen' photos would be nice but general photos not necessary.

Comment

• Skinny12
                  Skinny12 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wish we could have talked more about ATD, it was a victim of the overtime....on the next discussion like that we will NOT shorten it at the end but split it later...

I just finished listening to the Floyd later years episode today and just started the Roger one also. Yes, the length is formidable to me personally, but I'd say enough people want the depth, so go for it. I have mixed feelings about the discussions: when you're all expressing opinions on what you like / dislike and why, that's good. I'm (again personally) less interested in the bits where you just verbally list the shows you like. I feel that's better suited for a text discussion that a podcast.

These are just my honest reactions since you asked. I'd still say do what you like and are interested in doing and I'm by no means complaining. But just expressing which bits work and don't work for my tastes only. Varying the formats of the episodes is a good thing though. Not everyone has to be interested in every topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post
                  I just finished listening to the Floyd later years episode today and just started the Roger one also. Yes, the length is formidable to me personally, but I'd say enough people want the depth, so go for it. I have mixed feelings about the discussions: when you're all expressing opinions on what you like / dislike and why, that's good. I'm (again personally) less interested in the bits where you just verbally list the shows you like. I feel that's better suited for a text discussion that a podcast.

These are just my honest reactions since you asked. I'd still say do what you like and are interested in doing and I'm by no means complaining. But just expressing which bits work and don't work for my tastes only. Varying the formats of the episodes is a good thing though. Not everyone has to be interested in every topic.
                  Hi,

i totally get you on the lists of best shows, but please consider that about 1.000+ listeners of the podcast a.) don't know R&D b.) are much less informed about the possible Roios of the shows. So he hope(d) that these lists give them an idea whats out there.

Thank you for the feedback, this is most appreciated!

Best
                  Nils

Available here:
                  Youtube
                  Apple Podcast
                  Amazon Music
                  Spotify
                  Deezer
                  Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny12 View Post
                    i totally get you on the lists of best shows, but please consider that about 1.000+ listeners of the podcast a.) don't know R&D b.) are much less informed about the possible Roios of the shows. So he hope(d) that these lists give them an idea whats out there.
                    That's a very good point, and I did not think of that.

Thank you for the feedback, this is most appreciated!
                    Happy to give an honest opinion. Keep up the good work.

Comment

I just listened to this podcast in mostly one shot. I mean, you needed bathroom breaks for this one! With that said, it held my interest, and one can always start and stop at will.

One impression I had is that the first time I "knew" the 1970s Pink Floyd was dead was in 1984 from the Richard Skinner BBC interview that I did hear in the USA at that time. Roger said (much to my chagrin) "...so why aren't we ever going to do anything again" (OK, a paraphrase from memory). So while this might not have been widely known, it was pretty clear to me and my friends that Roger was moving on.

Another impression: Amused To Death is similar to a latter day Steely Dan album in that there is not a single band making the music. The approach is not unprecedented, but I found it to be an interesting observation that I had not considered. Well spotted!

Another impression: I would love to see a video of Roger watching this podcast, pausing it, and commenting on the impressions of the commentators. While some of the conclusions drawn were probably spot on, I think a few may have been a little off the mark. I should have taken notes so I could be more specific. Here's a for instance: "calls from the hall" were devised to build a bridge over the wall that had existed between Roger and his audience. I cannot remember the source for this - probably a Jim Ladd Innerview - but I am pretty sure it was specifically done with that in mind. And a very cool idea at that.

Again, there is alot to chew on in this Podcast, and as a Waters enthusiast I very much enjoyed it. Great work guys! I think it is fine to have these discussion formats as well as interviews. It's all on my favorite topic.

Comment

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback! And you are right, it would be great to have someone there who could advise us (me) in realtime. For example I realized that at the Berlin show 1990 many things were actually different to my memory (number of sold tickets for example). Anyway the upcoming show will give us many updates/insights/corrections on 1984 to 1987 and is very very interesting!

All the best and thanks again!
                        Best Nils

Available here:
                        Youtube
                        Apple Podcast
                        Amazon Music
                        Spotify
                        Deezer
                        Facebook

Comment

It was pretty long, but there was a lot to get through. I listened across two days and got there eventually.

Comment

Great podcast, I really enjoy these longer form podcasts where you guys and the guests can really stretch out some of your thoughts, ideas, and opinions. Very enjoyable!
                            Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Working...
                            X