No announcement yet.

Fingal's Cave Podcast Ep.14 - Pink Floyd live recordings, The Year 1967

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also really enjoyed it - listened to it relaxing at home this afternoon. Many thanks and looking forward to 1968

Comment

Interestingly, on page 7 of Melody Maker from August 1967, Roger Waters talks about the problems that they're having with their PA being unable to compete with their 'bigger amplifiers'. He says that they play "extremely loudly" and that "the human voice can't compete with Fender Telecasters and double drum kits". This probably explains the near absence of vocals on the three shows discussed in this podcast.
      Attached Files

Comment

I found this podcast one of your most enjoyable and engaging - thanks!

Comment

On the topic of the specific Revox model used for the Golden Circle recording - an article about the 2011 replay event identifies it as a Revox G36.
          https://web.archive.org/web/20110508...in_6140725.svd
          The day before The Wall spectacle, some kind of rock history geek record was set when a tape recording of Pink Floyd's first Swedish concert, September 10, 1967, was played on exactly the same reel-to-reel, a fancy tubular Revox G36, and in exactly the same venue, the Gyllene Cirkeln on Sveavägen.
          This photo gallery from the 2011 event has a photo of the unit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125999...ith/5755161177

Also, visible here at 1:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RITtOY2mkA
          Last edited by jmr; 03-01-2024, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I really liked this podcast and the discussion around each show. I think this is a really cool approach. Hopefully we can go through every recorded show for the coming years haha! But seriously, maybe a poll of some kind to choose recorded shows we all know for reviews. Maybe picking 3, 4 or 5 from each year from the the beginning, the middle, the end of each tour. I dunno, just spitballing, you guys probably already have a good idea going forward, it just got me thinking. Keep doing what you're doing!!!
            Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. Cannot wait to hear more deep dives into the years to come. 1967 is not my favorite live year for PF but I definitely replayed Stockholm, Copenhagen and Rotterdam today after listening. One thing I'm curious about .. was a non doctored version of Stockholm Golden Circle circulated prior to TEY box other than the audience recording of a playback that is available here?

Comment

I came here as well to say that I really enjoyed this episode (all of them really). I have searched years and years for something like this…informed discussion surrounding the minute details that only people such as ourselves could care about. I really can’t thank you guys enough. I feel as though I should’ve tried at some point, but alas, I don’t know anyone else in real life even close to as passionate (obsessive) about the band as I am.

I love all eras but i definitely have a certain love for this era.

I have a question. You referred to a live version of Candy and a Currant Bun having a jam part that may have resurfaced on Let There Be More Light….

a…live version…of Candy and a Currant Bun????

Did I miss something?!! Perhaps the Monday Monday performance exists?! I do intend to purchase the BBC book at some point, unfortunately I’ve been out of work for some time due to a streak of terrible luck, but I’m dying to read it. Hopefully soon I’ll pick that up.

Finally regarding what might still pop up…

still waiting to see the backstage 5 man floyd footage. Perhaps Perry Como or Boss City still exist (unlikely).

I seem to recall rumors over the years of amongst other things Yoko Ono having possession of a UFO show, she also allegedly filmed a saville theatre gig, and I’ve heard of a random Ricky Tick show, and Games for May being recorded but highly doubt it. Finally, there’s those pictures of a cameraman filming them on stage at the Technicolor Dream show.

I must say that any 1967 live material would have to be holy grail material for me (along with more “Nothings”).

anyway, great show…I’m off to listen to the Star Club show again and attempt to drift off to sleep.

Comment

From Phil:

——————————-

Thank you all for the kind feedback.

Re: Flaming in 1968, we'll be sure to discuss this more in the 1968 episode!

Regarding a "live version of Candy and a Currant Bun", this refers to about 99 seconds of audio that we hear in the short film Promenade, in which the band briefly features. It was recorded at K4 Discoteque on 15 April 1967, and we have a setlist for this gig, which includes Candy. Once you speed-correct the audio to get it in the right key, we have a jam in A. It's not 100% proven that the audio is Candy and a Currant Bun, but of the songs in the setlist, Candy is the best match to its key and tempo.

And thank you, Simond, for posting that article. It's always tempting to think quiet vocals are a Syd "thing" but Rick Wright also struggled to make himself heard live in those days. Only Roger, with his willingness to "eat the mic", seems to come through consistently.​

———————————

Best
                  Nils
                  FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
                  Youtube
                  Apple Podcast
                  Amazon Music
                  Spotify
                  Deezer
                  Facebook

Comment

Can't hear or read enough about the Syd era. I still find myself puzzling over the three 1967 live gigs after all these years.

When you've heard them so long, you take it for granted - but what kind of music is it? It's heavy, but is it proto-metal? It's spacey but it's not the "spacey" that PF would be known for in the following years. I suppose there might've been pleasant passages at nightly UFO gigs, but the three shows we have sound hard and abrasive. Just a wall of thick guitar.

I also can't square the BBC "Reaction in G" with the live version. I'd love to hear an in-depth description of the tune. They sound completely different in every way to me.

Please do an ongoing 1967 series!

Comment

• j.vavala513@gmail.com
                      j.vavala513@gmail.com commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’m with you. I could talk/listen about 1967 Floyd for eternity and never be bored.

I would enjoy a podcast series that goes year by year with discussion on favorite shows from each tour. I don’t have the time or storage space to download every show and listen to it all. Getting a few experts together to discuss shows to seek out would be interesting.

Comment

• Skinny12
                      Skinny12 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Technically this is our plan. But i guess it will take forever even to get to 1977…
                  Working...
                  X